Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

[face=Verdana]Wow, does this resonate![/face]

When Matt Carley moved his family to a short, dead-end street near Indian Ledge Park and the Pequonnock Valley, he didn't expect to hear rapid-fire gunshots echoing in the night.

But since the Police Department opened an outdoor shooting range in the park in 2005, that's what he says has happened.

'We live on Par Lane, directly across the valley from the shooting range,' Carley said. 'When they shoot at night, it's ridiculously loud. ... They're shooting military-style guns, and it's rapid fire and it's past 10 o'clock at night.'
[face=Verdana][Gasp!] Military-style guns. Rapid fire! The horror!

Read the whole story, and note some of the quotes.

I thought of this and not only the South Manor skeet range and the Huntington Town Range (after that "bullet" landed in someone's yard in Levittown), but Gabreski Airport three miles out my back door where sits, just off the North Perimeter Road, the great Pine Barrens Range operated by the Long Island Practical Shooters.

Now the presence of the range has not been much of an issue to date, but the aerodrome itself is a constance source of annoyance to residents of various "Yup City" sub-divisions in North Quogue… all of which are less than a quarter of a century old!

The facility, which opened in '42, has been in continuous cooperation except for the four years between WWII and Korea (1946-1950), dacades before the first plot was cleared North of Montauk Highway in 11959.

To all those people who gripe and moan about aircraft noise from Gabreski… they actually meet on a regular basis and discuss how to close the whole facility!… I have always very publicly stated: "Got a problem? Talk to the real estate agent who sold you the place!"

And while the report about the Trumbull situation is silent on exactly when Mr. Carley and his family moved across the valley from the police facility… both of his off-spring seem to ante-date the range's opening… it seems, from his language, that he's more upset that there are guns than the noise the guns make.

BTW, I'm probably four miles as a .50 BMG flies from the SCPD Range behind the old Westhampton drag strip, and I take comfort from the sounds of volley-fire as the MOS train and qualify.

And the on-site sales reps for the "seniors housing" on the site of the former raceway quietly tell prospective purchasers that "steps are being taken to get the police range shut down so noise won't be a problem much longer."

Right!

And then I think, remember Zahn's?
[/face]

·
Registered
11,571 Posts
Great idea! shut down the police range! that'll keep the peace!

"steps are being taken" What steps? are there actually any actions trying to prevent the training of police officers?

Westhampton people, Yaphank people, farmingdale (republic) people, anybody buying a house anywhere.... two words - DUE DILIGENCE -

The huntington range wasn't a noise problem, yaphank... noise? I was driving up and down gerard trying to find the place first time I went, I could hear shots 'off somewhere' I finally realized I had stopped right in front (where I couldn't see the sign)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Parashooter said:
"steps are being taken" What steps? are there actually any actions trying to prevent the training of police officers?
[face=Verdana]Indeed.

I checked with a several of FTOs at the Westhampton range, and they were unaware that there was any activity along those lines.
[/face]

·
Registered
48 Posts
'And the on-site sales reps for the "seniors housing" on the site of the former raceway quietly tell prospective purchasers that "steps are being taken to get the police range shut down so noise won't be a problem much longer." '--Dean Speir

Talk about slick selling!

G

·
Guess we are more fortunate here in Indiana. If the range was there before housing moved in it is grandfathered and there is nothing they can do about it. Not that developers haven't tried.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

John Hunter said:
Guess we are more fortunate here in Indiana. If the range was there before housing moved in it is grandfathered and there is nothing they can do about it. Not that developers haven't tried.
[face=Verdana]I dunno, John… there was that business with the University of Indiana's two ranges circa '93-'94, and the new nearby condominium development. I was writing about it in Gun Week at the time.[/face]

·
Registered
551 Posts
alright i'm torn here, i deff think that the range to train cops shouldn't be shut down!!!! but....they also shudn't be shooting at 10 o'clock at night. 1) who wants to be training that late, 2) its common courtesy at 10pm people want to sleep, shooting in the daytime say like 8am-8pm that would fine.

·
Registered
11,571 Posts
ndtyank49 said:
alright i'm torn here, i deff think that the range to train cops shouldn't be shut down!!!! but....they also shudn't be shooting at 10 o'clock at night. 1) who wants to be training that late, 2) its common courtesy at 10pm people want to sleep, shooting in the daytime say like 8am-8pm that would fine.
You've got to remember... We're talking about land that wasn't housing until very recently... If I'm not mistaken we're talking about the land that was the Westhampton dragstrip?

All around the Police Academy there was woods until recently - Due diligence - if you didn't find out what was there it's your own fault.

To me it's the same as Yaphank... they were there first, you buy a house next door don't bitch. Unless they suddenly double their noise you should have known. (my case... I have a nightclub next door, was tolerable until a couple years ago they put an outside deck out back, no board hearings to let us oppose it... but then my house predates their building nevermind the club... still a fight)

·
Registered
48 Posts
ndtyank49 said:
Summertime; it doesn't get truly dark until late. Shooting in the dark (nighttime or indoors) is VERY different than shooting under lighted conditions and requires appropriate training--given the nature of "goblins", officers are more likely to need their weapons at night.

I've always known about the difficulty of accurate shooting in low visibility, but the first time I shot an IDPA stage in the dark was still startling (yes, we used flashlights).

·
Banned
6,050 Posts
I live right next to the Long Island Expressway and MacArthur Airport. I knew that both of those things were there when I bought the house, but I crave attention, and feel that I am the most important person who has ever walked the face of the earth, so they have to go. It doesn't matter that the expense involved would be astronomical, and the idea itself is utterly absurd, I want what I want and the world must bend over backwards to satisfy my very whim.

I'd like to give this guy in CT, and those folks out east who complain about everything an ATOMIC WEDGIE. Line em up.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I grew up a few miles away from Raceway Park in Englishtown NJ and you could hear the funny cars on Sundays which no one minded.  Once Old Bridge started building up and more people moved to the so called suburbs the complaints started.  I haven't lived over there in 16 years, but I do know that some people bought condos not to far from there and they are trying to get the raceway shut down.  I can't stand the attitude of some people.  It has been there since at least the 1960's.  If you have a problem, deal with it.  Su the real estate, but don't go after a business that has been there for years.  They fail to realize the revenue that is generated when they have the summer nationals, swap meets and etc.  I really hate people.  I know it isn't the same as a shooting range, but it is along the same lines.  

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

[face=Verdana]Parashooter is correct, that was for almost half-a-century the Westhampton Dragstrip, and that was noisy… portions of one, sometime two days a week.

And Shep854 makes the excellent point about low-light training. I can see it now, at a civil trial of an SCPD MOS being sued for an amount equal to half the National debt for the shooting death of an unarmed youth in Brentwood with an object other than a weapon in his hand.

Plaintiff's attorney: "Now this incident occurred around midnight, according to your statement. Tell us, Officer, how much training you've undergone in low-light shooting?"

Defendant MOS: "Um, none, sir. The residents in the area of the police range forced the County to limit the time of firearms training to between the hours of 0800 to 1900 in during the Summer, and 0800 to 1600 during the Winter."

Jus' sayin'…

And Merlin, it is the same concept/syndrome.
[/face]

G

·
Dean Speir said:

[face=Verdana]I dunno, John… there was that business with the University of Indiana's two ranges circa '93-'94, and the new nearby condominium development. I was writing about it in Gun Week at the time.[/face]
Wasn't it the University that caved in not a court decision? However I was referring to private ranges. I was involved in such a battle with a local developer and the court ruled in our favor stating we were grandfathered and had not changed our shooting patterns such as scheduling shoots at new times (Sunday nights) thus the developer was out of luck. We did learn that if we tried to build new ranges or shut our ranges down for a length of time it would invalidate our grandfather clause.

·
Registered
11,571 Posts
The Big Ox said:
I live right next to the Long Island Expressway and MacArthur Airport. I knew that both of those things were there when I bought the house, but I crave attention, and feel that I am the most important person who has ever walked the face of the earth, so they have to go. It doesn't matter that the expense involved would be astronomical, and the idea itself is utterly absurd, I want what I want and the world must bend over backwards to satisfy my very whim.
that is exactly the spoiled-brat crybaby attitude they've got too... they need a good whooping.

·
Assault is a behavior; Not a weapon.
12,115 Posts
A few years ago, a friend asked me to help him inspect a house for sale. I told him it was too close to the LIE and he'd hear the trucks all night long.He said he understood that, but next to the Espwy was cheaper than a mile away from the Expwy. But then, he became the biggest proponent of those eyesore concrete barriers that now line the expwy.

Anybody know how much those concrete noise barriers cost the humble tax payers? Just so Eric doesn't have to hear the noise he knew about before he brought!

·
Registered
18 Posts
ndtyank49 said:
Sometimes of the year it doesn't even get dark until 8PM and night firing is important.

We had a police range until the mid 80's and would receive complaints every now and then. It wasn't until some lying mook had a .45 go through his front door into his refrigerator that the county closed it down.

The fact that I proved conclusively that the round could not have possibly come from the range didn't stop the county commissioners from caving.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I live near Republic airport. Also near what used to be the Huntington Range. I think I can see both sides of this story.

There have been community issues surrounding Republic airport for much longer than the dozen or so years I have lived in the area. The airport supporters always use the "we were here first" argument. That falls flat for a few reasons. First, several of the complaining residents were there before the airport. More to the point, the rest coppose the proposed _expansion_ of the airport to more/bigger/louder planes (a plan that came after the vast majority of residents moved in). We moved near a small, general aviation airport - not LaGuardia. A few small corporate jets and prop planes are completely different than large scale freight or passenger operations.

The quote also mentions that the shooting range only opened in 2005. It is quite possible most of the residential homes predate that, possibly even the person quoted in the story.

I also knew I moved near the Huntington range and had no problem about that. That didn't stop me from calling the cops and questioning/complaining when I heard what sounded like automatic gunfire coming from an area far south of Spagnoli Road, inside the Bethpage Golf course. Turns out I didn't know that there is a police range inside the golf course. This is not information readily available to the general public. Once I knew, I had no problem with it.

I mention these two things to make a point. Sometimes you can move near something like this and have reasonable expectations. I think it is very reasonable to expect loud noise to end at a certain time in a residential area. Try having a loud party after 10pm, 11pm, etc (depending on where you live) and you will be shut down. Why would anyone expect the police to have a complete exemption from the same noise rules we all have to abide by?

Other times you can move somewhere and have no idea that a police training range is right there. In my experience these private law enforcement ranges are not always easy for the private citizen to find out about.

It is silly for a town to build a range near a residential area if they intend to operate it late at night. There must be other options that would not impact residential areas and would still allow police to train, even late at night. Both sides have a right to do their thing and there doesn't necessarily need to be a conflict where one side loses.

·
Registered
990 Posts
I work for the railroad and for years worked overnight-meaning sleep time was from 9a to 3p when the kids came home, so I had family time. well try sleeping with the garbagemen, lawn mowers, road work tec. You learn to deal with what you have if it gets you what you want.  cheap house-near a PARKWAY, I lived in freeport before they closed that track, enjoyed the sounds on the weekend. What it comes to is you can't have everything you want and pandering to every cry baby is getting rediculous-look at the state of NEW York and its please everyone mentality

·
Registered
11,571 Posts
I lived just north of sunrise hwy for a year and a half.... the noise never stops - even at 3am, with no cars there is a noise coming from the highway. I kind of think it's because of the concrete barriers (just the 3' high arresting barriers, not sound barriers) funnel sound along the roadway.

republic... they already can land a 727 there... and have, but expansion? just doesn't make sense. there's no buffer, and traffic in and out is a headache now.

To me, living down on Merrick Road, (2 miles south) I don't get all the coming and going from the runways, but I find some of the private planes the most annoying! there are several prop planes that have no mufflers, VERY irritating when they come overhead!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts