Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Lenovo is the Chinese firm which picked up the IBM thinkpad brand. They make good stuff.... BUT... think about what the wife is going to use it for. If it is running powerpoint or spreadsheets and word docs, you could pick up something way less expensive. I bought on Woot.com an HP with AMD a8 processor and Win 8.1 for 250 bucks. It screams and those are exactly what I use. Wife teaches and she has moved to using iPad.

And if you use dropbox who cares about the SSD? Plus you get the benefit of secure backup to those files.

·
Banned
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lenovo is the Chinese firm which picked up the IBM thinkpad brand. They make good stuff.... BUT... think about what the wife is going to use it for. If it is running powerpoint or spreadsheets and word docs, you could pick up something way less expensive. I bought on Woot.com an HP with AMD a8 processor and Win 8.1 for 250 bucks. It screams and those are exactly what I use. Wife teaches and she has moved to using iPad.

And if you use dropbox who cares about the SSD? Plus you get the benefit of secure backup to those files.
Thank you, I'll show my wife what you wrote......I don't know what the hell your talking about, I guess that's why I deliver mail for a living.

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
I just ordered a yoga 3 Pro on ebay. It is refurbished with a 1 year warranty from Lenovo.

Have one to sell? Sell now
Details about Lenovo Ideapad Yoga 3 Pro Core M-5Y71 8GB 512GB QHD+ 3200X1800 Multi-Touch

13.3" IPS Windows 8.1 Pro - Lenovo Warranty

$949 free shipping. I got the more powerful unit so it will last her 4 years in college performance and power-wise. With the 1 year warranty I don't see a downside to buying used. OH, and I put it on Amex card and get an extra year warranty. Shopping for this was a pain. Every review site has at least one person who hates whatever unit you're looking at. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
We bought those for my kids a couple of years ago for Christmas. They are only 7 & 10 now, so it's not like they are doing any heavy computing with them, but they have worked fine for them. The only issues that we have had, other than Windows 8 sucking, is wireless mice are hit and miss if they will work, or when they will work. Also, sometimes they loose sound, and they need to be rebooted for it to start working again. But, we have had them for a couple of years, we got them when they first came out, so the newer ones might have those issues resolved.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Just edumacation... USED means just that. It came out of the box and was used for some period of time. REFURBISHED means in the industry that a change to new hardware was made. E.g. maybe the box had win 7 and then it was moved up to win 8. Or a harddrive was pulled/ changed for some purpose. REPAIRED means something broke and someone fixed it. Refurbs can save you money...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.