Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hoping anyone who owns a compliant AR, or cuomo has a vagina AR, can chime in here. I just recently purchased an AR with a spur gen 2 grip which is on back order. The more I think about a grip that I can't fully grasp with my thumb the more I lean towards the thordsen stile grip which is connected to the stock. If you own either or I'd like to hear your experience and how you feel about it.

·
Uh-oh...
12,524 Posts
Have and used both. The spur is much cheaper. It's OK for a bench gun, and passable for casual paper punching. It sucks for run-and-gun type shooting.

The Thordsen is considerably more expensive. It allows a full grip, and emulates a conventional rifle type stock. Only one length is available, but they do sell extension kits. It can't be made shorter. The safety selector tough to reach unless you spend for an ambi.

If you have an AR and want to cheaply and quickly make it compliant, go for the spur. If you plan on carrying through the woods, or want to do some shoot-and-scoot type competition, and it fits you, the Thordsen is the way to go.

I had spurs. Replaced both with Thordsens.

·
Banned
6,423 Posts
Hold up ,is it confirmed andy has a vj I thought it was only rumor was there a sighting ????
Yup, it looked like this....

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So with the day off I decided to head to DSI and check both rifles out. The Thordsen grip felt right, plus they had no 223/556 available only .300 blackout which i found as a sign. The spur looked more appealing but the fact that I can hold the thordsen and maneuver with out the use of both hands on the gun made more sense, even if it does look like it fell from a tree. And yes I was doing dives and crawls in the shop, gotta road test before you buy. Haven't had a chance to get it to the range but will def share my review as soon as I do. ????????

·
Unappreciated while still alive
3,841 Posts
Have and used both. The spur is much cheaper. It's OK for a bench gun, and passable for casual paper punching. It sucks for run-and-gun type shooting.

The Thordsen is considerably more expensive. It allows a full grip, and emulates a conventional rifle type stock. Only one length is available, but they do sell extension kits. It can't be made shorter. The safety selector tough to reach unless you spend for an ambi.

If you have an AR and want to cheaply and quickly make it compliant, go for the spur. If you plan on carrying through the woods, or want to do some shoot-and-scoot type competition, and it fits you, the Thordsen is the way to go.

I had spurs. Replaced both with Thordsens.
I have both and fully agree.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I have no problems with the Thordsen. More tactical than the spur as it is able to be handled with one hand for reloading ect...still ugly but what can you do.

I wish they would come out with a higher end model. Maybe something with a more comfortable grip, thicker, and maybe some different butt options.

Other than that it is fine, def benefits from an ambi safety.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Friend of mine just went to DSI and bought his first AR. Went with the fixed mag cause he didn't like the feel of the spur. I'm wondering how they pin the mag. Can they unpin it if the law ever changes or you move out of this craphole? I have to stop in there again and check them out. Just scared b/c I know I'll buy another one. BTW, big +1000 to DSI he had a great experience. Said the guys were all very friendly and helpful.

·
Avoiding the ban hammer!
17,533 Posts
Friend of mine just went to DSI and bought his first AR. Went with the fixed mag cause he didn't like the feel of the spur. I'm wondering how they pin the mag. Can they unpin it if the law ever changes or you move out of this craphole? I have to stop in there again and check them out. Just scared b/c I know I'll buy another one. BTW, big +1000 to DSI he had a great experience. Said the guys were all very friendly and helpful.
Allen key screw located through the mag well accessed by the FCG

1 - 20 of 26 Posts