Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Dentist
473 Posts
I was reading a throw-away Snoozeday article about the 467 sex offenders that the state cannot "find." The following paragraphs made me wonder if someday they could write a similar article about the NYS AW registry.

New York's sex offender database, like those in other states, is dependent on whether sex offenders actually check in with the state -- and whether law enforcement agencies verify the addresses offenders give to the state. Under state law, authorities are not required to personally verify all offender addresses.​
The state finds out a sex offender's whereabouts is unknown once that person fails to check in with the state registry on the person's designated annual registration date. The DCJS then notifies the law enforcement agency with jurisdiction in the offender's last known address.​

Some eery parallelism between (1) the initial registration and (2) the re-registration requirements of the safe act. The problem is that sex offenders are by definition criminals, and it seems that legal gun owners will undoubtedly receive the same treatment.

·
Banned
2,226 Posts
Generally the criminals have no money to defend themselves and cost and burden the system. Legal firearm owners usually have good jobs that can afford lawyers and court fees to support the system. I am sure we all know who they will be on the witch hunt for.

·
Banned
3,395 Posts
The difference being that those who register their AW are law abiding. Sex offenders that don't "check in" are not.
sex offenders are added to this data base because they committed a crime.
gun registrants will become criminals because they added there name to the data base, is just a matter of when.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts