Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I'm looking for different types of compact pickups with 4wd. I take my 98 sentra hunting upstate a lot, although I return empty handed when big game hunting, looking to get a pickup to save myself from strapping a deer on roof of a sentra. I really like the look of the 90s chevy s10 s. I've been stuck in the mud when parking upstate but not sure if I definitely need the 4wd. I don't plan on off roading besides parking few feet off road for public hunting land. What are your thoughts on 4wd and any small/compact models you would recommend?

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
I waited years until the family van started to go and bought a Ford Ranger. I liked the idea that Ford wasn't bribed by Osama but what really sold me was that the 6cyl Ranger can tow up to 5900 lbs, comes with 4WD, is smaller than the minivan we replaced, fitting in our driveway much better, and doesn't "waste" the bed space with a large back seat area. Mine is the supercab which only has two folding jump seats in the back. Two wives sat there on a recent trip to the movies, but otherwise its for short trips for any small adult, but would be OK for kids older than car seat age. The Tacoma, Dakota, Frontier all have gotten too large for us (as I would have to back them out to get the bicycles from the garage out past any of them.) The new Chevy Colorado had a lot of negatives according to the internet, anyway. With a 6 foot bed, I easily put the deer I took last year in the Ranger's bed, and can put our two bikes in there standing up, supported by ties to the Trac RAc which I installed for my kayak. If looking used, the older Frontier, Dakota and Tacoma models all are smaller than the new, which as I mentioned, was of utmost importance to me. The 4WD came in handy during one of last winters storms, and also when I off-roaded during a deer hunt out east where I would have bottomed out with anything short of the clearance you get with 4WD.
Do a lot of research, which was very easy using the internet. One thing about the Ranger- its a truck without a lot of electronic do-dads.

·
You Are the Resistance.
3,600 Posts
an ex of mine had a 1990 ish GMC S15 Sierria- basically an S10 with an extended Bed and a 2+2 cab (the jump seats would fit one skinny 16 year old, but not much more). It was a 4x4, with a V6, and I was impressed with the performance, as well as the general quality - it had *real* skid plates, and an actual HD suspension. It wasn't just a toy truck. It generally struck me as about as ideal a PU as i'd even known.

·
Now an Ex NYer
25,015 Posts
Had an '89 Nissan 4wd pickup- V6 w/5 spd (collected an old debt) which I gave to my wife to drive. Good truck, cab a bit too small for me (needed a sunroof). My Mom just sold her '05 Dakota, also a good truck. S-10's weren't bad once they got the Vortec F.I. straightened out

·
Registered
169 Posts
I'm an S10 guy. I am on my second 4cyl 2wd P/U and also have a s10 blazer 4wd. If you are looking at late 90's early 2000s s10s, you are going to end up paying double for 4wd over a 2wd. 2-3 grand for 2wd and 4-6 grand for the 4wd.  For the s10, 4wd only comes in 6cyl so if fuel economy is any concern, I would avoid it. My 2wd 4 cyl p/u is sufficient for commuting, moving tools and toys around, and grocery getting. In the winter, I shovel snow from the driveway into the bed and I never have issues with traction in the snow. The power from the 4 cyl is non existent, so I would imagine driving up a mountain with several hundred pounds of deer and equipment might be a task. I get about 12-15 mpg highway in the 6cyl blazer and 20mpg highway 4cyl p/u. With routine maintenance and a few bux here and there, the s10 will last forever. 175k on our blazer and 200k on our p/u. I know toyota used to make 4cyl 4wd p/u, but you are going to pay a premium for the toyota because everyone that owns one thinks they have gold. My advise is to check craigslist. Good luck!

·
Banned
2,404 Posts
There are lots of used car lots along the Sunrise Hwy from Bayshore to Brightwater. Drive by and see if something catches your eye.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Ford ranger all the way....dad has 315000 miles on his 96 & its still running. Im convimced itll break 5

·
Sharp Shooter!
446 Posts
I now have a full size truck(09 ram 1500) we also have a 03 2500 ram w/ cummins and we have had three s10's, the s10 where good trucks. took a bunch of abuse. if you buy one try to buy a late 90's that has a 4.3. the 2.2L barely gets out of its own way w/ 100hp,  the gas milage was better on our 4.3L than it was on our 2.2L. you needed to drive the 2.2L floored (or close to it) everywhere u went. The ford rangers are nice too and i personally like the dakotas. they are a good mix between a full size and compact. I drove a 2003 dakota for two months a few years ago. was very pleased with the truck. it had the 4.7. i got a little over 20 on the highway and averaged 15 around town. I do not have a light foot. Tacomas are nice, hold there resale value well, but other than that i know nothing else about them.

·
Assault is a behavior; Not a weapon.
12,115 Posts
I currently have a 2000 Ford Ranger with 175,000 miles on it for work.

They're good trucks with just enough in the way of creature comforts.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
I have a pickup, but drove my camry sedan to go hunting. I put a hitch rack on the back, and loaded up the deer on top of it.

Calculated mileage? 28mpg, on snow tires.

They sure want a pretty penny for the crew cabs.

·
Premium Member
7,808 Posts
Had a new Ranger from '98 to '06 - LOVED it.  

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.