Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had this 4' wide American Security safe since 2002/2003, it has a regular dial not those new number pad ones. I think the lock is finally gone. Any tips or tricks to try and get it open? Or am I **** out of luck? I'm guessing the door has to be drilled now? Can anyone recommend a trust worthy locksmith please.

Thanks.

·
Putin, the new Ceasar. Veni,Vidi, Vici!
22,005 Posts
The lubrication in the lock may have dried out and the tumblers are sticking.
Take a hammer and a block of wood and hammer around the lock using the wood as a cushion to prevent hammer marks. This could free the lock to open. Don't be gentle, a few good whacks could do it.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
You're not trying to dent the door. Just loosen up something that's stuck.
And once you have the door open, DO NOT close it until it has been properly serviced.

·
Premium Member
964 Posts
I sprayed some penetrating oil around the dial and keep spinning the dial, It works pretty good now

·
Registered
11,568 Posts
I sprayed some penetrating oil around the dial and keep spinning the dial, It works pretty good now
This is where I would open up the door, open the lock and clean it and lube it...... Or get a locksmith to service it.

Reactions: Lou G

·
Registered
632 Posts
Be careful not to spin the dial too fast. This can cause mechanism to jump. If that happens, you MIGHT be able to get in by dialing the combo + or - a digit. If you do get in, get it serviced before you close it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts