Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DefenseLink had the following yesterday amongst its contract announcements:

Colt Defense, LLC., West Hartford, Conn., was awarded on Sept. 25, 2009 a
$32,143,048 firm-fixed-price contract for M240B machine guns. Work is to be
performed in Hartford, Conn., with an estimated completion date of Oct. 31,
2015. Bid solicitation was open to the Firms in the U.S. and Canada with two
bids received. TACOM-RI, CCTA-AR-SA, Rock Island, Ill., is the contracting
activity (W56HZV-09-D-0175).
Federal Business Opportunities (FBO) also confirms it.

https://www.fbo.gov/index?s=opportu...c2feffd3f7e7a&tab=core&_cview=0&cck=1&au=&ck=

To explain once again, the Tank-automotive and Armaments Command (TACOM) is one of the major subcommands of the US Army Materiel Command. Among TACOM's multiple procurement responsibilities is the purchase of all of the US Army's small arms. They also piggy-back orders for the other service branches, foreign governments, and on occasion, even Federal, state, and local LE agencies. Several gunwriters and bloggers have fixated on the word "Tank" in the name and mistakenly assumed that they only equip Armored units.

TACOM has been trying to maintain, and hopefully, expand the small arms production industrial base. So solicitations have been opened up for second-sources wherever possible. The odd thing is that the award number is coded for TACOM-Warren, not TACOM-Rock Island. Warren typically concentrates on vehicle-related procurements, while most small arm procurements go through Rock Island. As of yesterday, they didn't have the award document posted, so I don't have any additional details as to numbers or delivery dates. It is entirely possible that it won't be posted as Colt and FN tend to demand secrecy when competitive pricing details are involved. For instance, their latest M16A3/M16A4 contract documents are not posted.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Walt Graham said:
Great Dan'l, but when will it be in stores? 8)
I know you're joking, but just in case: never. Colt has no doubt already signed non-disclosure/non-use agreements to access FN's M240B TDP. Likewise, FN can't manufacture civilian M16-clones using Colt's TDP for the same reason.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
My friends former unit is shipping out any day now and he just told me that they were getting some new HK MG4E light machine guns. His last tour in Iraq he got a nice brand new Colt M4A2.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
FWIW:  I was kindly informed that TACOM-Rock Island's functions are being transferred to TACOM-Warren due to the 2005 Base Realignment and Closure actions.  Everything has to be moved by September 2011.  No doubt, this will be an utter disaster as in previous realignments.  History shows us that few experienced employees will make the move.  

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a cousin in TACOM and he says this is a massive CF on the grandest scale,  the US Rep is Phil Hare, a SOLID dem, who has a lot of clout in the house as Whip, and he is royally pissed that "his" arsenal is being moved.  

·
Registered
12 Posts
Guntotin_fool said:
I have a cousin in TACOM and he says this is a massive CF on the grandest scale, the US Rep is Phil Hare, a SOLID dem, who has a lot of clout in the house as Whip, and he is royally pissed that "his" arsenal is being moved.
Congress opted out of the base closing process in a CYA move. As for people moving? Depends on the job climate. I was moved to FL by the DoD when the Cleveland, OH office was down sized in '03. One Government computer geek job opened up in Cleveland and I applied...along with 600 other people, many more qualified than I.

Geoff
Who does not enjoy the extreme heat, but it's good for the arthritis. 8)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts