Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What a disappointment! I left my house a little to early today to get to Freeport as I was not sure where they are and didn't want to get lost, but after i saw i was close to coliseum gun trades and had time to spear I decided to stop in and look around. I did want to look at a p229 because I heard great thing about it. As I was being shown different guns by a never nice man (can't remember his name) ken from the other side of the counter loudly said "what is this, touchy feely day! Cut him off!!" now at first I thought he was joking but no, the man helping me just stood there with a blank face. once I caught on, I turn and replied, "what a poor attitude" and walked out!
Here's the thing, it wasn't busy and he wasn't even the one helping me!
I've been in there many times to buy ammo when I worked down the street and Ken has always made me feel welcomed, sadly today that changed.
In this time and age where gun shops on the island are far and few I figure better service would be a big factor!
Well this visit left that sour taste and I can't say that they will be on my list when I my next purchase!

·
Assault is a behavior; Not a weapon.
12,115 Posts
I've been there, and those folk sure do seem to run hot and cold some days. But, I've never been treated that badly.

With the economy the way it is these days, you'd think they'd offer you a free espresso when you walk in the door.

·
Bangkok rules. Now who has a can?
11,589 Posts
Very rude!

Don't get me started about their high priced ammo....just because they're close to Mitchell

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There is no question that their well stocked, but if your in the business of showing guns and you cut people off from holding them.....well that's just bad business.....why even have gun shops if that's the case....lets just order online.
Sorry am still a little pissed.
:grrr:grrr:grrr

·
Premium Member
634 Posts
I experienced a similar situation with them. I just got my pistol license and I stopped at coliseum to look at Sig P229s. I was already sold on getting a P229 for the 9 months I waited on my license.

I walk in the door and say I am interested in a P229 Elite Stainless .40 cal. I asked to look at about 4 Sig P229 pistols. They started in with the how many more do I have to show you we do not have all day, I was shocked.

I currently have a P229 elite stainless on order with South Shore Sportsmen. I have never been treated in such a way there. Chalk up another $1200 loss for Coliseum. (which SSS gave me a much better price).

Also before my first AR15 purchase. I walked in to Coliseum and asked some questions. I asked about shooting ammo like Wolf and brown bear through a AR15. They told me how I would be crazy to use such ammo. That I would have to be running a brass brush down the barrel for 6 hours to fix the fouling that the cheap russian ammo would cause to a AR15.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There super nice to my dad... LIKE REALLY NICE... me not so much...
I've personal worked in retail for many years and have come to understand what it takes to make a customer happy and make them a returning customer.....so when I see hard working folks wanting to spend their hard earned money and get treated this bad....well its just sad.

I know :deadhorse

·
Registered
533 Posts
Mafia Al said:
There is no question that their well stocked, but if your in the business of showing guns and you cut people off from holding them.....well that's just bad business.....why even have gun shops if that's the case....lets just order online.
Sorry am still a little pissed.
:grrr:grrr:grrr
Who know's, maybe that's what they want. Just order online, and they will just handle transfers :-/

·
Premium Member
634 Posts
My real frustration with them was they did have a P229 elite stainless .40 cal but it did not have the CoBIS sample. While I was there they mentioned Ow we can not sell this gun no CoBIS - Move the gun I want it to the safe which is all the guns that need to go out for CoBIS.

So I leave the store. I looked all over Long Island for another store which would have the gun I was looking for. No place had one. Every place said they could order me one but the lead time is 4 to 8 weeks.

I figured that Ok Coliseum has the gun but can not sell it to me. So I called them once a week for 4-5 weeks. Asking did the guns go out for CoBIS. Every week I was promised that Oh we will do it next week. Finally I showed up and said I want to make sure I have the pistol I want. I want to put money down so that I have the pistol. (THEY STILL DID NOT GO FOR COBIS - They still can not sell the gun to anyone).

I wait 20+ minutes in the store while they are trying to locate the pistol..... They finally say to me we do not have the pistol... I was like how, I have been calling for 4-5 weeks about this pistol. The response is well did you put down a deposit. I was like NO, I did not think you can sell the gun without the sample and it was in a safe so nobody would even know you had the gun. They were like well we do not have the gun, we can order you one....

:censored

I felt like I was stringed along for 5 weeks. If I ordered the gun from SSS right away I would have had it soon enough.

Since this happened I have purchased 3 firearms, NONE of them from Coliseum.

I am hoping my P229 Elite Stainless .40 comes in soon. Waiting 5 weeks on the SSS order, was quoted 6-8 weeks.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I've had mixed experiences there with about 2 or 3 different people...but I must say Toby has helped me with every purchase and I have bought about 3 weapons from them...but I will only buy if Toby helps me.
He has been great everytime and is willing to take his time to help you .

I did go in one day asking about a .308 semi auto and first thing I was told was - "well those are expensive", while the guy didnt budge to get one for me, my reply was " and I can afford anything you got in here, so can i see the rifle please" ,

The shame of it all is - the attitude all around can cease...we are all consumers and have a right to be treated as customers.

My take so far is find a guy that helps you out nicely and just stick with him...we mainly all shop at the same stores here in Nassau ...
more so than not it'll be South Shore Sportsman, Hunters, or Coliseum, I have had experiences that arent so hot in all stores but usually its the same people acting like pricks in them, but not everyone

So as I have gotten familiar with the spots ...i choose my people and if they arent there, then that store loses the business for the day and I buy from somewhere else.

as far as ammo goes- bulk online is the way to go- if you shoot alot - sportsmansguide.com membership is the way to go.

Thus far Hunter has the best $$ for ammo - I've seen for store bought

final thought on the poor attitude - evidently its not hurting business....they all seem to be doing well
maybe as this forum grows and the firearm enthusiasts flood LIFA.com and these opinions and experiences take a toll on sales - (if ever) the surrounding stores will come around and bosses will say "hey lose the attitudes with the customers" its hurtin business

till then- pick your store and pick your guy(or girl) and enjoy your time in the gun store..

·
SUPER STAR
5,508 Posts
I don't have anything bad to say about them, but the other day I stopped there to look around. There was a guy at the counter looking to sell his service revolver. From what I heard him say, the customer, he was a retiring police officer and he wanted to be rid of the revolver. So the guy behind the counter looks at the pistol and says "its worth about 25 bucks". The customer was fine with it and they did the transaction.

·
Registered
549 Posts
CJ said:
I don't have anything bad to say about them, but the other day I stopped there to look around. There was a guy at the counter looking to sell his service revolver. From what I heard him say, the customer, he was a retiring police officer and he wanted to be rid of the revolver. So the guy behind the counter looks at the pistol and says "its worth about 25 bucks". The customer was fine with it and they did the transaction.
That's crazy! They'll probably resell it for $350 or more.

·
Registered
5,872 Posts
pete480 said:
That's crazy! They'll probably resell it for $350 or more.
You need to relax. It was probably a beat up S&W model 10.

Gun stores need to make a profit. If you don't like the price they're willing to give to you, then walk. No one twisted the retired old guy's arm. Apparently the old guy thought $25 was a fair deal.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.