Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a very poor experience today at Coliseum Gun Traders on Hempstead Turnpike in Uniondale. Amazing really. Following my policy of patronizing local gun stores even if the price is higher than what i can find online, I purchased today at Coliseum four boxes of 9mm ammo (200 rounds total) for 50% more per box than virtually the same ammo can be had online including shipping -- $15 per box vs. $10.

As I handed the woman operating the register my credit card, i asked her if they had a factory mag for a Glock 19. She said that she "did not know" and that should ask one of the two salesman standing at another counter. I have a fairly thick skin, so i brushed off what i considered to be her abrubt, rude manner (I always give people the benefit of the doubt anyway). She rang up my ammo purchase, i signed for it, and went to the other counter to check on the mag.

When i stepped up to the counter, the two salesman behind the counter were talking to each other. Each of them glanced at me, but did not acknowlege my presence in any way as they continued to talk. I did not say anything because I did not want to interrupt -- frankly, it sounded like they were trying to figure out some issue relating to business, it was not idle chit chat. While i would have appreciated the minimal courtesy of the acknowledgment of my presence as I stood right in front of them, with at least a "hi, one of us will be with you soon," as I mentioned, my skin is thick, and their less than friendly behavior certainly did not impress me, but did not really bother me either.

However, what really chaffed my butt was when another customer who the salesmen obviously know walked through the door and right next to me at same counter where I had been standing for a few minutes with absolutely no acknowledgment of my presence whatsoever. Before the gentleman even said a word, both salesman immediately stopped the conversaion among themselves and warmly greeted him by name -- and immediatley asked him what he needed! All while i continued to stand there without so much as a single word said to me. At that point, I turned and walked out of the store.

It is very nice that the Coliseum salesman recognize their repeat customers and treat them well. However, after the poor treatment that I received there today, I will never return to that store -- even if it somehow becomes the last firearms store on the planet.

I usually buy guns and accessories at T&T and at SSS. I have always had very good experiences at both of those stores.

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
sounds like the old LI Outdoors in Melville. "They look at you like you spit in their hair."
I too only go to T and T, especially if I know Hank is there.

·
Banned
19,574 Posts
I have bought several guns at Coliseum because they have a great inventory. Ammo prices are high bacause of the proximity to Mitchel I presume. One would think that if they knew you just bought four boxes of not-too-competitively-priced ammo they would have pounced on you like hungry cats to sell you a gun at a nice profit, but my experiences there lead me to belive they are a bunch ofr mostly older gun guys that pretty much know their stuff but aren't really "salespeople". And when they have to run you through the computer, you'd better have brought sandwiches because by the third time they screw it up the BATFE will have you blacklisted.

Still, if you are loking for a mid to high end 1911 in inventory, I think at least browsing there is pretty much mandatory.And they do have a lot of things others just don't. Anybody can order you MOST guns, but when they order it you feel compelled to buy it, and I don't think anyone should buy a gun from a picture or an internet review. So inventory counts. And Coliseum has that.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I Think Thats terrible.......If i were the owner i would never accept that of my employees....... At the very least ask if you need help, and continue your chit chat if you decline......

I know in my small business,( pharmacy) what sets us apart from the big chain stores is SERVICE ..........Thats the main reason we survive, and dominate the Giant CVS that is a stones throw away......

I too would be upset, sorry for your poor treatment......

Joezeta

·
Premium Member
559 Posts
I, on the other hand, had a pretty good experience over there several days ago.  Went to check out the firearms I had on my list.  They were busying wrapping up the paperwork with one gentleman before me.  I did not interrupt.  Just quietly looking for the guns I had in mind.  After finishing up with the other gentleman, one went to search for the box, the other immediately asked me if I can be helped.  I told him I wanted to take a look at 2-3 guns for my future purchase (so he knew that I wasn't buying at that time).  After checking my license (and making jokes about checking the library card!), he showed me the guns and I was able to handle them to my hearts content.  We had a short but pleasant discussion about the guns during the same time.  For my three separate visits there in 8 month, every single one has been without issue and quite pleasant.  

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I buy ammo from them but that is all I'll buy from them. They have little or no regard for the way they treat C&R rifles, and i would rather buy from the internet dealers than Colliseum

·
Premium Member
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
pequa1 said:
sounds like the old LI Outdoors in Melville. "They look at you like you spit in their hair."
I too only go to T and T, especially if I know Hank is there.
Hank is a great guy -- extremely knowledgable, friendly and fair. What impresses me the most about T&T is that I do not buy anything "big" very often (and when i do buy something big, its not all that much compared to what some people spend). But when i go to T&T they are just as friendly when I buy cleaning patches or something else small, as when I purchase a pistol (nothing expensive) -- which I have only done twice there and only after many relatively small purchases. Frankly, I generally split my gun and gun related purchases between SSS and T&T because i really like the stores/people equally.

Coliseum does have a great inventory from what i saw today -- but I will never purchase anything from them again.

·
Accurizer
887 Posts
PandM said:
Colliseum has always been hit of miss for me. It's "miss" often enough to have come off my short list, but I venture in now and again.
You said it. Half the time I walk in there and have a very good experience, the other half it's like I don't exist or I'm there solely to annoy them. These days I only go in there if 1) I know exactly what I want and 2) I can't get it at SSS or Hunter.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I like to go over there sometimes to browse their selection of 1911's. I've been asked if I need help but I always politely decline as I haven't been ready to purchase at any point in time and don't want to waste anyones time. I feel comfortable that if I were to speak up I would get helped out. Anyway that's always been my impression of Coliseum.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Colisum is EXPENSIVE on guns and ammo.
and they are the closest to my house.

I now internet all ammo.

guns I'll drive along the south shore and stop at all 3 places.
Whom ever has the least attitude and resonable price will usually get my purchase.

·
Registered
7,310 Posts
Another place that gets the robfather stamp of hahahaha never again.  S-hole.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
There are two places that I absolutely do not recommend One is T&T Gunnery Seaford I don't trust Marty or any of those young guys who work for him. Hank is OK when he is there. The other place is Colliseum Traders in Uniondale I buy ammo from him, but that is positively it I don't even want to look at his guns.
Places that I do recommend Classic in Mineola. Kenny is a little rough around the edges. He tells it like it is and he is honest. Long Island Outdoorsman IN Rockville centre If you want to,travel into Garden City Park to T&T Tactical Stanley is a pretty straight forward guy. He doesn't carry a lot in C&R.Michael Britt is OK THe NCPD deals with him One More.. American Outdoor sports on 110 in Farmingdale He's another guy that is a bit rough, but if you take the time to get to know him he's OK

·
Bangkok rules. Now who has a can?
11,589 Posts
I don't like paying $20 for a box of ammo that I can get online for under $5.  I understand that being a B/M, it costs more & I would be willing to pay something extra.....but I think a difference like that is too much.  It appears they take advantage of the fact that they are close to Mitchell.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Sounds like a place we should not patronize. I thought I was the only one who had a bad experience there. They were to handle a gun broker purchase for me. They were rude and did not have the gun I ordered in stock. I had to wait days for my purchase.

I like the guys at Classic. I know Kenny from way back. He worked for my former cousin in law Jeff when he had his shop on Jericho turnpike. Another guy I suggest is Hunter Essentials. See Bruce there. Hes at the side entrance of 900 Willis ave in Albertson. Great guy and a interesting selection. Just got a new AK from him. If you know what you want and it is not there, Bruce will track it down and get it at a very reasonable price. I highly recommend him. As for ammo, the net is the only way to go. Local shops can't compete. They want to score every time. I am not against making a profit. But to gouge the public that badly is something else. They are the reason why so much ammo comes from other states.

Just my opinion.
Claimbo

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
I'm for any store that will advertise & support this site.
Obviously every gun store owner must know about this site, and if they choose not to support it, that's a bad business decision.

·
The Artist formally known as AR_Guy
6,913 Posts
I guess I'm odd man out here. Andy has always treated me great. Some of the new guys working there aren't so great. But Kenny and Bob have always treated me right also. I've bought a lot of guns from them over the years.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.