Long Island Shooters Forum banner

Closest FFL to Suffolk pistol license in Yaphank?

7K views 36 replies 17 participants last post by  Jazman 
#1 ·
Seems I got a gun coming in and I'm looking for the closest FFL to Yaphank. Suggestions?

#3 ·
^^^^^ Suffolk Shooting Supply....... Great guys, I have purchased a few pistols from them, I haven't done any FFL transfers with them though. Due to my home location I use Jerry for FFL transfers. Jerry is in bohemia, so if you are west of bohemia, you can always swoop by on your way to Yaphank.

#12 ·
I'd also like something close to Yahpank but at $50, that's a bit high for me.

Dark Storm is $25 if it's an item they do not have in stock for pistols. ($50 if its in stock).

Not as close to yahpank, but I can do the "shuffle" and get back to work in Bay Shore in 1 1/2 hours.

#16 ·
I'm pretty sure most people aren't ordering online to just save $10 or $20 when they can pick it up in store. That's a little exaggerated.

When I order online its because I save upwards of $100.

But that's me.

#19 · (Edited by Moderator)
Honestly a lot of guys know my dad's an FFL but i buy MOST of my firearms from the local guys.

My dad is cheaper, i mean it's dealer cost... BUT I have to pay shipping to him. I have to pay shipping from him to me (and it's gotta go air). I then have to pay an FFL transfer fee... so in the end it's usually cheaper or THE SAME price to buy locally.

The only reason I do FFL transfers is if a store DOES NOT have it or can't get it.

I think $25 is fair. There is paperwork involved on the FFL so that takes up an employees time away from other customers. Local dealer's actually DO NOT make a killing on firearms, a few do, but the known guys sell pretty cheap to be honest. That's why the costs are the same having something shipped. Plus is it REALLY fair to the FFL? He's not making money having you ship something to them... I'd have to have someone ask me questions all the time only to buy it somewhere else and I don't make the sale. LOTS of overhead costs with firearm stores.. forget the rent, try insurance/safes/and inventory... it adds up.

I'm fine with a $25 fee but $50 is high for me. I try not to take business from anybody but if they don't have it I think $25 is fair (not $50).

I know DSI does the $25/$50 thing which makes sense... not sure about Suffolk Shooting. Is that $55 firm no matter if he has it in stock or not?

#22 ·
I have only order 2 guns online one because everyone around here had to order it and was told 6 to 8 weeks the other was used and at a good price I think 200 then I've seem around here. I prefer to fondle the gun before I buy so it worth to me the extra 25 to 75 bucks.

#25 ·
It'd only save me maybe 30-45 minutes tops... which to me is not worth an extra $30. For some, it might be worth it especially if they say bought a gun at Coliseum and had to go to yaypank.

I know if I buy something from Camp-site, that's a 2 day process to do since I can't get to Camp-Site at lunch.

I work in Bay Shore so I pass a dealer on the way out there so it's not TOO bad for me... guess it depends on where you are from. If you are a guy out east then it might make more sense to go to Suffolk Shooting since you don't have to run all over the place.

#26 ·
I live in Bay Shore but I always did business with SSS. That was close to a 4 hour shuffle. 3 hours if I was lucky enough to get the receipt on Saturday and skip a trip on Monday. Plus close to half a tank of gas(Ram 1500). But if your shuffle will be that much easier....go for it.

#27 ·
Ohh yeah that's a rough ride. But there are other dealers you can use who are less money. Isn't SSS the same price as well, i had them xfer a rifle once and it was like $35 or something higher, can't remember.

I know dealers do it so they don't get bogged down with FFL transfers all day long, but at the same time $55 seems like he's taking advantage of being so close to Yahpank (supply and demand).

Any other dealers in that area?

#30 ·
The way I see it, If I walk into a store and you have the gun I want and the price is reasonable, I am Buying it, I may try to negotiate, but Im buying it not jerking someone around, very easy sale.

But on the other side of the coin, If I walk into a store, and do not like something, Being ignored, Talked down to, questioned as to why I want a particular firearm, I am done and will never return and at least 10 people will hear about my experience

Now if its late at night and I am searching the net looking at gun sites and I feel Like buying, I will buy whatever tickles my fancy, usually from Kentucky gun Company and ship it to Jerry, If I am super impatient, I will ship it To another Private FFL whom is great to deal with

But I Usually save $100 buying online for $50 I will support my LGS

#34 ·
About 15-16 mile comapred to 1 mile. Add in mid-day traffic.

While I respect everyones opinion on choice of FFL, being 1 quick mile away from SCPD is nice. Just my opinion.

I agree with what most say...if the saving is more than $100, I'm buying on-line. Anything less is worth supporting your(our) LGS. Otherwise, we'll miss them when they're gone.

#37 ·
Tried/wanted to purchase 2 handguns from there however when I inquired about room in their prices they said that's the number on the tags. One was $225.00 over average Internet price and the other was shy of $175.00 average online price. I explained that those numbers just didn't work based on the price gap and they just shrugged their shoulders.
Hard to justify my hard earned money being just tossed away like that. I prefer to go local however there are very few competitive shops on the island. I tried...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.