Long Island Shooters Forum banner

ClearMeadow gun range in Levittown

31K views 89 replies 45 participants last post by  Patty O 
#1 ·
Is anyone else here a member? I'm a member and can bring non-members (u pay $10 a visit, no time limit). Indoor 25 yard range, set target at any distance.  Must have pistol license to shoot handguns. They allow handguns and 22cal rifles. If you become a member you get a member card that says open 24 hours.

Reactions: RedStorm1911
#4 ·
_ said:
nope but would like to shoot with you sometime, maybe bring some friends, pm me if your interested.
will pm you

#5 ·
hey lone Wolf I am a member of Clearmedow also, however don't use it much any more. I also belong to Freport R&R .. open 24/7 and accessable same with membership also they have several center fire and rimfire teams that compete in GLISA league. I think dues at Clearmeadow are $100 year? (don't quote me on that as I have lifetime membership ) Freeport is $150 year  with both indoor and outdoor ranges. Freeport does not allow guests however.

#6 ·
peteinsuffolk said:
how much is membership?
I don't remember first time enrollment price. I think its around 200. Renewal every year afterwards is around 85.

I would suggest for the first couple a weeks anyone interested come down and pay ten. After we know how many people are interested in becoming members, I'm thinking we are I can see if we can get a nice discount for you guys, counting on how many want to join. I can tell you all one thing, if your going to Mitchell field to shoot handguns your going to prefer going here instead.

I figured I'd put this out here as my way of giving back to this web site.

Reactions: NRATC53
#7 ·
JFDLTD said:
hey lone Wolf I am a member of Clearmedow also, however don't use it much any more. I also belong to Freport R&R .. open 24/7 and accessable same with membership also they have several center fire and rimfire teams that compete in GLISA league. I think dues at Clearmeadow are $100 year? (don't quote me on that as I have lifetime membership ) Freeport is $150 year with both indoor and outdoor ranges. Freeport does not allow guests however.
I was thinking of joining the Freeport one, since I heard it is open 24/7 and it would be the only other place around me I can shoot rifles. Do they let you draw from the holster, practice malfunction drills, shoot in different positions and such? I also heard the target has to be put out to the 50 foot mark, is that true? I like to shoot from all distances, since you never know what distance the threat will be. I don't feel like telling the bad guy to stop what hes doing step fifty feet back and then continue what your doing. ;)

#8 ·
LoneWolfNY said:
I was thinking of joining the Freeport one, since I heard it is open 24/7 and it would be the only other place around me I can shoot rifles. Do they let you draw from the holster, practice malfunction drills, shoot in different positions and such? I also heard the target has to be put out to the 50 foot mark, is that true? I like to shoot from all distances, since you never know what distance the threat will be. I don't feel like telling the bad guy to stop what hes doing step fifty feet back and then continue what your doing. ;)
You can shoot at any distance outdoors as long as you are with the firing line (not behind and would not want to be ahead), I shoot and practice misfire all the time (load some spent cartridges and I have a good stovepipe round I throw in randomly then mix my mags) - I also draw from the holster if I am alone, dont think there is anything against it as long as you are safe, and positions I have been using as well outdoors, when alone.

Indoors is different and I dont do position shooting or holster draw due to the lack of space, and indoors is also a fixed 50 - but where else are you gonna find a private indoor range @ 3am. I can get you a rule book / guidelines when I see you - plus there are some members on here who might be able to correct me.

#10 ·
Say I am a member at free port. I get pulled over by long island's finest. I say officer I am on my way to the range and I am carrying concealed. -- But Mr. Torre it is 3 in the morning. And I respond it is a 24/7 private range. -- well in that case sir, carry on and God speed.

is that how it works?

#11 ·
bobtorre said:
Say I am a member at free port. I get pulled over by long island's finest. I say officer I am on my way to the range and I am carrying concealed. -- But Mr. Torre it is 3 in the morning. And I respond it is a 24/7 private range. -- well in that case sir, carry on and God speed.

is that how it works?
Yes and no. That might fly when you're in your car... assuming you're headed in the right direction. Where are you REALLY going? What happens when Mr. Officer asks that there? That's the flaw in that plan, that excuse only works while you drive where ever you're really going. Once you're there all bets are off.
SCPD removed the "stopping for refreshments" part from the blue book just because of things like this. "We're at a restaurant... eating dinner, on the way home from the range." A no-go anymore.

#12 ·
cas said:
Yes and no. That might fly when you're in your car... assuming you're headed in the right direction. Where are you REALLY going? What happens when Mr. Officer asks that there? That's the flaw in that plan, that excuse only works while you drive where ever you're really going. Once you're there all bets are off.
SCPD removed the "stopping for refreshments" part from the blue book just because of things like this. "We're at a restaurant... eating dinner, on the way home from the range." A no-go anymore.
+1

I have no first hand knowledge of having to tell a cop the range thing. Thats why as I mentioned in another post, know every gun range around you if you want to go that route.

#13 ·
bobtorre said:

is that how it works?
Like I always say, if it's legal you shouldn't have to worry about it.

Don't try to trick yourself into thinking something is legal if it isn't. 8)

#15 ·
So the 24 x 7 thing is just so that if you are on your bed restless, at let's say 3 in the am, you always have an option to go shoot. ;)

In that case I'll be happy to pay the 200 dollars 10 dollars at a time :)~

#16 ·
Sorry to be spoil sport, but as in almost every part of "the law", it is open for interpretation. If you are stopped by a LEO and he is not in a good mood, or your attitude is not up to snuff, he could be really nasty, and interpret the rules very narrowly, regardless of what the book says - "Telll it to the judge".

I think the most important thing to remember is that NYS thinks a CCW permit is a privilege, and as long as that is the case, we have to "play nice" and not ruffle anyone's feathers. If you want more privileges with less rules, then unfortunately NYS is not the place to be.

#17 ·
reodds said:
Sorry to be spoil sport, but as in almost every part of "the law", it is open for interpretation. If you are stopped by a LEO and he is not in a good mood, or your attitude is not up to snuff, he could be really nasty, and interpret the rules very narrowly, regardless of what the book says - "Telll it to the judge".

I think the most important thing to remember is that NYS thinks a CCW permit is a privilege, and as long as that is the case, we have to "play nice" and not ruffle anyone's feathers. If you want more privileges with less rules, then unfortunately NYS is not the place to be.
Good advice. Thanks

#19 ·
I actually called there the other day, and it's 499 for the first yr, and 99 bucks for every yr after... Kinda steep no? They are open 7 days a week, day and night, but not sure of the exact hrs. That supposedly entitles you to shoot at 3 other ranges as well as Clearmeadow. They are : Medford Shooting Range, Smith Point Archery in Patchougue, And Olinville Arms in the Bronx. Also for the Newbies, their flyer says they offer free unlimited safety and marksmanship instruction, with instructors on duty all the time. Can't attest to the accuracy of this, as i've never been there.

#21 ·
I used to get mail from this range at least once a month telling me i could shoot there for free if i used Edelmans Pistol service..I still dont know how they got my name

#22 ·
reodds said:

Agreed with the first paragraph.

Regarding the second, I think you could change "NYS" to "Nassau, Suffolk and especially NYC." In MANY upstate NY counties, an "unrestricted" NYS license is as easy, if not easier to get than the "restricted" license on Long Island. We may not have the most gun-friendly state in the nation, but none of these silly restrictions are state level rules. They are all invented and imposed by the county. If you were to look at it from a _purely_ state level, NY is effectively a "shall issue" state.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.