Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the exception of my Saiga my firearms sat under a bed for several years in the same room as a very large saltwater fish system. During this time I had several plumbing issues giving my firearms a few saltwater baths. A few of my rifles were in a soft case that absorbed water others were in a storage bin that got a lot of water in it.

I haven't really been into my firearms for the last couple of years. Haven't bought anything for years and only been shooting a few time.

I am getting back into firearms and want to clean everything up well, get a nice storage system get my firearms in good shape.

The main firearm I am worried about is my Mauser. This is because it has a wood stock and I am scared if I take it apart that I will never be able to but it back together.

Since the background information is done my questions.

1) How should I clean the wood? I don't care if it looks nice I just want to get the salt out. The stock also has numbers painted on it from the arsenal so I don't want those to wash off.

2) How should I clean the internal parts that I can't reach? I am looking for something I can spray in these areas. I don't want to take any screws out. I started to do one and it's seems like one of those things I will be taking apart and never be able to put back. These areas are behind the butt plate and under metal surrounding the magazine well.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
All my cleaning rods broke or were missing . I am going to order the Otis kits to clean the inside of the barrels. I think it looks much better after the initial cleaning. It was a well worn firearm when I first bought it. So the battle look isn't all because of me.

Before

After

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My AR. I am not sure if these were before or after. I will check later and post the other pictures.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Take it apart. There is nothing you can spray to fix the problem while it's assembled. If it was put together by man once it can be put together again. Plenty of videos on YouTube.
The thing that worries me is the wood is a little soft and starting to rot out and the screws are pretty rusted. I am worried that once I take the screws out the wood wouldn't be threaded and not go back in. Another concern is stripping the screws. I tried to take one out and it wasn't coming out and I didn't want to strip it. I will give it a shot. I remember seeing a trick were you put toothpicks in the screw to protect it. I will try and figure something out.

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
I'll be the first to chime in with "Should have bought an AK"

As mentioned above - watch a lot of YouTube vids. Prob need to sand off the rust then refinish with some cold blue and oil everything down. You can prob save the AR barrel but the bolt might be tough.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Any recommendation on a good cleaner for the rust and wood for the Mauser? Or a good, to the point YouTube video to watch to clean it? I am most concerned about the salt which was absorbed in the wood of the stock. Any good tips on that will be great.

Here are some family pictures after a few days cleaning them all. The Mosin looks like it is brand new. Every other one of my rifles got some form of rust on it except the Mosin. The Russians really do know how to make durable guns.

·
Putin, the new Ceasar. Veni,Vidi, Vici!
22,005 Posts
First: penetrating oil for the screws. If the screws strip, drill them out and get new screws, they are cheap.
Second: get a cleaning rod and bronze brushes. Otis is good for some things, but not for a good deep cleaning.
Third: toss the mauser stock and get a replacement.

·
Banned
19,574 Posts
Phosphoric acid or Naval Jelly will strip the rust- you need to be particularly careful about examining and evaluating the condition of the bores.

Linseed oil for the wood- heat it up on a (preferably electric) stove or in the microwave until hot to the touch (but not smoking!) paint it on with a chip brush. It should expand any old cosmolene left in the pores of the stock and you can wipe off the schmutz that results with a lint-free cloth.

Your biggest problem is going to be refinishing- instant cold blue is not too effective and takes a lot of patience to apply and burnish properly, reparkerizing is doable but also requires some investment in time/materials.

For the AR, your best bet is probably getting a new barrel and removing the bolt from the carrier, giving the carrier a good going-over with a wire brush, or if you are in Nassau you can come by and use my cabinet to bead-blast it. any microscopic rust you don't remove will return with a vengeance.

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
Remove all actions from stocks, forends, grips,buttstocks etc and get to inspecting every metal surface you can. After that Scotch Brite pads,fine steel wool, naval jelly and elbow grease on all metal surfaces in a well lighted room. Take all the non gun type parts as listed in the first sentence , wipe dry and let sit some where warm and dry, not a damp basement for few days if not a week or two. Ditch the AR BCG as its gone, nothing to salvage, period! I'd strip the lower receiver on the AR to nothing but the lower and replace everything as quality lower parts kits are as common as air nowadays.Check the Bbl nut,FSB, ejection port door and spring, BFA etc. on the AR. Be prepared to deep six the upper for a new one On Saiga check the trunions, FSP, rear sight assembly, top cover etc for corrosion. Again quality FCG etc are readily available for the Saiga, I'd go with new if at all possible. On Mauser, the stock is toast, move on with haste. Bolt actions hide corrosion all over, you will be doing a lot a work with those. Good luck!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts