Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used a claybar to remove overspray from a car?

I had painted a cage a few years ago and the primer can got a little clog and I didn't notice it spitting. Its horrible.

I was going to follow a youtube vid as guidance and it looks very easy, but I'm open to advice from people with body experience.

· Registered
1,474 Posts
Ive used them before for overspray. Depends on how fine it is. I painted some parts with a spray gun behind my garage on a windy day and the overspray came over the garage and went all over my silver truck. Clay bar took 90% of it off. I hit it with liquid polish after that and it was fine.

· Premium Member
11,465 Posts
Are you use the bar from pep boys or a professional bar there are different level of bars. I use to have I think three red blue and yellow if I Remember and the red would get over spray off.

· Registered
1,530 Posts
I used the mothers clay bar and spray after I got my windows tinted and got the truck back with overspray. $20

Took it all off but it is pretty time consuming depending on the size of the vehicle.

Just keep it lubed (any spray wax will work) and keep flipping the bar onto itself to expose a clean edge.

Don't drop it though. If you do just toss it as it will pick up every micro particle in the world. If you drop the bar toss it.

· Premium Member
3,568 Posts
As mentioned, several grades of clay bar. Below is a great place for supplies, located near Albany so everything you order you receive in a day or two at most.

I've gone to Paul's distributors many moons ago...maybe 10-15, IMHO - waste of time as they only carried commercial grade (not in a good way) crap. For clay it may be okay, but make sure you look for the different abrasive levels of the clay. There's fine, medium, etc. I would start out with medium and see if it work. If the paint has been on there a long time, I don't think clay will remove it. May have to wetsand it.

EIther way (Wet Sand or Clay) you will have to polish afterwards to remove the scratches/marring the clay or sandpaper induces. I highly recommend Menzerna polishes. Other polishes will work as well, but always had the best success with Menzerna.

When you get the clay, break it in half and store one half away, you don't need to use the whole bar and if you drop the other half, you have a clean half as a back up. As SPTA mentioned - DO NOT DROP THE CLAY - think of a bar of soap in a prison shower. And yes, toss it if you drop it.

http://www.detailedimage.com/

Wet Sanding you can easily make things worse if you're not careful. You don't need to go to town on it. Few passes on a sanding block with 2000 grit, then 2500, then 3000 grit checking to make sure you don't go through the clear coat. If it's not terrible overspray, you may wish to start out at 3000 and see if that works first. The idea with sanding and polishing is to REMOVE as little material as possible as you can to either correct the problem or make the best improvement possible without making a bigger problem! Always finish the job with the finest grit polish or sandpaper.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.