Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a what I think is a single pole tandem 15 amp breaker that went bad. The bottom one is the one that tripped, and when I reset it, it tripped again. I have an air conditioner plugged into that outlet. When I went back to reset it, at first it wouldn't, then I heard a buzzing sound even though it was off. When I shut the upper one the buzzing stopped. I had a 5000 watt air conditioner going on that one. So it seems the top one is bad although it never tripped, the bottom one did and no buzzing from that one.
I was gonna run to get a new one, even thought I have never replaced a breaker before. The sticker says it's an MH-T type breaker, but when I did a search for MH-T on Home Depot, only 20 amp breakers come up. When I did a search for 15 amp ones, I get a HOMT type. Is this compatible with what I have?

·
Premium Member
1,281 Posts
It sounds like you have two a/c's on that breaker. A 5000 btu & ? is that correct?
Either way you need to replace the CB because it's now suspect. Go to a real electrical supply house for it.
Unplug both a/c's before you turn the breaker back on. Plug them in and turn on one at a time.
How long has it been a problem?

·
Premium Member
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The other air conditioner is 15,000. It just started, but I plugged the 15K AC into that outlet only last week. How do the tandem breakers work? Are they 15 a piece or together? The top part of the breaker goes to the room we had done some time ago. I honestly didn't know it was split like that so I didn't know both AC'S were on that breaker.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.