Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
I watched that video 20 times and it is damning. It seems most likely bully cop pulled his gun on slightly resisting motorist and failed to keep his finger off the trigger. Each time I watched it I replayed the moment before the shot and I can't find any reason for the gun to have gone off other than reflexive fire.

I am curious what the investigation will finally determine happened but it seems overwhelmingly likely that the officer is going to jail.

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
I'm not so fast to throw the guy to the wolves. The DA has a hard on for the cop, he even said he shouldn't have pulled the guy over for a missing plate. He's the DA, he supposed to enforce ALL the laws on the states books, even minor infractions like a missing license plate.
The dude with the vented skull was reportedly arrested over 50 times! He had an indefinite suspended license. He was also the father of something like 12 future criminals with likely many more not known.
The suspect was squirrelly the whole stop, reaching, moving around and tried to take off when asked to unbuckle his belt while thrashing around. Should the guy have been shot? Probably not, but real world isn't slo mo video watched 20 times on the news from the comfort of ones couch.

·
Banned
10,833 Posts
To me it looks like the guy started taking off, knocked the cop down/away, which led to him being shot in the head. The officer didn't just walk up to the guy and execute him...like the DA seems to imply.

Sure, he didn't have to be shot, but the only one who could have prevented that outcome was him. Why would you start pulling away as a police officer is asking you to exit the vehicle and has a weapon pointed at you? Oh, because you're doing something illegal.

"Is your license suspended?"

"No"

"Then where is it?"

"I don't have it on me"

"Why? Are you driving with a suspended license?"

"No"

Really?

Prosecutor sounds like a real d-bag by the way: ""He wasn't dealing with someone wanted for murder. He was dealing with someone without a front license plate," Deters said, describing stopping someone for that offense as "chicken crap stuff."

Tell that to the numerous officers killed for "chicken crap stuff." Hell, just last week a cop was gunned down while pulling someone over for a brake light that was out. Yeah...this is some real easy stuff. Prick.

·
Lousy Shot
16,177 Posts
To me it looks like the guy started taking off, knocked the cop down/away, which led to him being shot in the head. The officer didn't just walk up to the guy and execute him...like the DA seems to imply.
That's what the cop claims - that he was dragged and he was afraid of being run over. But I don't see that in the video.

Sorry but it looks like a bad shoot to me.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Looks bad for the guy, poor judgement, probably poor training . This kind of thing doesn't happen too often here. I attribute that to training and screening. One benefit of high taxes. You get a good pool of applicants when the pay is high. I live in the Town of Southampton, but I feel this is largely true for SCPD as well.

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
That's what the cop claims - that he was dragged and he was afraid of being run over. But I don't see that in the video.

I just watched it super slo mo on my tv. The officer appears to reach inside after the suspect started the car. Looked like he was reaching to turn the car off. A cop should try to stop a suspect trying to flee that's their job. The car started to move with the cop still reaching in the car, the suspect was squirming to reach something or get away and the cop fired and the cop was seen on his tail after the shooting and car rolling down the street seemingly due to getting dragged or falling away to keep from getting dragged. That's what it looks like to my eye. An A.D. caused by suspects failure to comply and cops fear of the situation based on real world experiences of cop shootings, especially with black men recently. Imo.
I would hate to see a young guy go to prison for 30- life because there was an accident on the job and some DA made an expedient call to prosecute with extreme prejudice because he was scared of stirring up the hornets nest of natives in the state like what happened in ferguson.

·
Premium Member
7,048 Posts

The cop clearly appeared to be being dragged right after the shot was fired, but it is hard to tell what was happening just before the shot. It looks like the car had just started to move. It is possible that the movement was more of a threat to the officer than it appears to be on the video, which did not give a perspective on what was happening to the officer.

I think this is the most questionable of all the recent, controversial police involved shootings (all the other were 100% clean IMO), but I am not sure if it was bad.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I don't think cops should be allowed to get away with anything that civilians can't, but the minute a perp is not following commands it seems to be less their fault.

He's f'ed either way. If the guy he shot was white he would have been put on administrative leave.

·
Registered
11,590 Posts
I just watched it super slo mo on my tv. The officer appears to reach inside after the suspect started the car. Looked like he was reaching to turn the car off. A cop should try to stop a suspect trying to flee that's their job. The car started to move with the cop still reaching in the car, the suspect was squirming to reach something or get away and the cop fired and the cop was seen on his tail after the shooting and car rolling down the street seemingly due to getting dragged or falling away to keep from getting dragged. That's what it looks like to my eye. An A.D. caused by suspects failure to comply and cops fear of the situation based on real world experiences of cop shootings, especially with black men recently. Imo.
I would hate to see a young guy go to prison for 30- life because there was an accident on the job and some DA made an expedient call to prosecute with extreme prejudice because he was scared of stirring up the hornets nest of natives in the state like what happened in ferguson.
Yep - That's how it looks to me too - that he went to grab the shifter or ignition to stop the car, and clenched on the gun - kinda like the recent shooting in the projects.

Now - isn't fleeing the police a felony? Isn't shooting a fleeing felon justifiable?

He should maybe be in deep doodoo with his boss - maybe even be hit with involuntary or negligent manslaughter - but murder??? seems that they would need some history between the two to fabricate intent.

Reactions: C6NY

·
Lousy Shot
16,177 Posts
There was a body cam from another responding officer I saw on TV yesterday. It was all shaky and I couldn't make out anything from that video either. I don't want to assume I see something that isn't there. To be honest, once the commotion starts, I really can't make out what happened. I didn't see anything that would call for the cop clearing leather but that doesn't mean there wasn't.

Then again, and one again, we have a career scumbag being difficult, uncooperative, argumentative, belligerent, resisting arrest, etc. Why? Why do they do that? Why do they do it and I never would? What do they think it will get them?

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I reviewed this a dozen times ... I was able to the 0.06.82 seconds of video down to 1/15 speed that 1:53.83 you can clearly see the motorist right hand go to the shift lever at the same time his left hand moves to pull the door close. What you may not have observed is the 2 parked vehicles. On on the street in front of the motorist vehicle approx. 3 to 4 car lengths. Also there is a car parked in a driveway straight across from the front of the stopped car. You see the officer reach in to remove the motorist hand from holding the door. What is hard to see is that twice the body cam flashes shot of the driveway car and it is now moved even with the window, indicating the forward motion of the car. When the handgun come into view and probably its point of discharge, that same parked car is now even with the back of the motorist car. When you see him fall and get back up that same car that was parked 3 to 4 car lengths in front of the stopped car, he looks like he is less than a car length from it and on the opposite side of the street from where he was. It is amazing to me that the prosecutor did not stop to analyze this taped traffic stop extremely closely... Tensing claim the car was in motion is correct. He clearly had to be pushed by the car. What can't be seen but is obvious the auto had to turn out into the street forcibly pushing the officer out of the way or it would have crashed into the rear of the parked car 3 or 4 car lengths directly in front of it.

Reactions: killian
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.