Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Member of the secret Canadian Mafia
5,770 Posts
Whole discussion on it,
http://www.longislandfirearms.com/forum/topic/78972-can-anyone-recommend-a-chimney-sweep/page__hl__+chimney%20+sweep__st__20

But let me save you the time.....

MGRGPGBG, on July 24 2014 - 01:51 PM, said:
Irish Chimney Sweeps 631-549-0681
Have used them a few times and have had good experiences. Super clean and professional

Just called them to clean my wood stove. Seems like a nice guy. I will let you all know how it works out.
I was encouraged by the A+ rating with BBB....
http://www.bbb.org/new-york-city/Business-Reviews/chimney-cleaning/irish-sweeps-chimney-ltd-in-huntington-sta-ny-19576

I was happy with the job they did.

·
Member of the secret Canadian Mafia
5,770 Posts
Any recommendations ? I have a fire place chimney that hasn't been cleaned in 15 years. The creosote is about 1" thick. And you can smell it when walking by the fireplace.
You are lucky you did not have a fire!

·
Flashburn Studio/Bullseye Brassware
723 Posts
Whole discussion on it,
http://www.longislan... sweep__st__20

But let me save you the time.....

MGRGPGBG, on July 24 2014 - 01:51 PM, said:
Irish Chimney Sweeps 631-549-0681
Have used them a few times and have had good experiences. Super clean and professional

Just called them to clean my wood stove. Seems like a nice guy. I will let you all know how it works out.
I was encouraged by the A+ rating with BBB....
http://www.bbb.org/n...on-sta-ny-19576

I was happy with the job they did.
+1 on Irish Sweeps. I have used them twice for Chimney cleaning, once for a stainless liner install, and once for masonry work..recommend.

·
Premium Member
3,775 Posts
then there is always ...Bert...

Attachments

·
Registered
750 Posts
+1 on Irish Sweeps. I have used them twice for Chimney cleaning, once for a stainless liner install, and once for masonry work..recommend.
I used them as well per the recommendation on another thread for a sweep and they were clean. They recommended a stainless liner and some masonry work for the oil burner chimney which we aren't doing at this point. I was wondering how their masonry work is. Good to know.

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
I use Best Way Maintenance 516-731-9755
Roger and his team are great guys.
My BIL recommended them when my chimney was clogged from Hurricane Sandy. I have had them back for annual wood stove cleanings.
I also had them do a liner at my Mom's house.

http://bestwaychimney.com/services/

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would recommend Irish Sweeps. They were $100 cheaper than the previous crook, (who was highly recommended on Angie's List). Irish Sweeps did a through job. Came the next day, they didn't respond to my email, but they came with a phone call. The guy knew I was informed & an educated customer; so there was no attempt to screw me. They did it right. However, the chimney was so bad, it had to be treated with some nasty chemical, and I need to heat it up a few times, and then he needs to come back for a 2nd sweep. The previous owner was burning soft wood.

My Chimney is at least 40' high. He climbed it with ladder to about 35', then jumped on top from the top step of the ladder. Totally ludicrous, but he was comfortable doing it. I have never seen someone scale heights with such ease.

·
Flashburn Studio/Bullseye Brassware
723 Posts
I would recommend Irish Sweeps. They were $100 cheaper than the previous crook, (who was highly recommended on Angie's List). Irish Sweeps did a through job. Came the next day, they didn't respond to my email, but they came with a phone call. The guy knew I was informed & an educated customer; so there was no attempt to screw me. They did it right. However, the chimney was so bad, it had to be treated with some nasty chemical, and I need to heat it up a few times, and then he needs to come back for a 2nd sweep. The previous owner was burning soft wood.

My Chimney is at least 40' high. He climbed it with ladder to about 35', then jumped on top from the top step of the ladder. Totally ludicrous, but he was comfortable doing it. I have never seen someone scale heights with such ease.
That must have been Matt, he was the guy who did the work at my place. I was pretty nervous myself as he was teetering on the top of the chimney, while feeding the steel liner through..Quite the character.. LOL..

·
Premium Member
717 Posts
Had Irish Sweepers come by this afternoon and cleaned out my wood burning stove and liner. Matt and his buddy were very professional, clean and straight up.
I knew the clay liner for my boiler was also in pretty bad shape and he quoted me for a complete stainless steel retrofit from soup to nuts. May have them do the job sooner than later. definitely felt more comfortable using them than some other $49.95 chimney sweep companies.

Will be using and recommending them.

Thanks MGRGPGBG !

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Unfortunately, I'm done with Irish Sweeps. I had a good experience in the past, but this time, all he tried to do was sell me a $1500 liner. He refused to sweep my oil burner chimney 2 times. He never even looked at it, just said it needs a liner. He never looked at it from the top down, not even with an inspection mirror from the bottom up. Nope, just kept on yapping about installing a liner. Kept on yapping about all he does is Chimneys,... his entire life. yadda, yadda.

Oil company tells me the chimney is fine. Drafts perfectly. No problems, just get it swept once a year.

So, Irish Mat is in the crapper with Mangano............................

·
Banned
11,831 Posts
Unfortunately, I'm done with Irish Sweeps. I had a good experience in the past, but this time, all he tried to do was sell me a $1500 liner. He refused to sweep my oil burner chimney 2 times. He never even looked at it, just said it needs a liner. He never looked at it from the top down, not even with an inspection mirror from the bottom up. Nope, just kept on yapping about installing a liner. Kept on yapping about all he does is Chimneys,... his entire life. yadda, yadda.

Oil company tells me the chimney is fine. Drafts perfectly. No problems, just get it swept once a year.

So, Irish Mat is in the crapper with Mangano............................
Did you get to see inside your chimney? It was very evident to me that mine needed a liner. All the guy had to do was disconnect the gas burner and you could see all sorts of debris/chunks.

·
Registered
9,982 Posts
FWIW we used United Chimney a few times.

Don't know how they compared with price but the work seems ok.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Did you get to see inside your chimney? It was very evident to me that mine needed a liner. All the guy had to do was disconnect the gas burner and you could see all sorts of debris/chunks.
I saw it twice. The oil company vacuumed it. He would have told me if there were bricks or debris lying in there.
Where you pack furnace cement around the flu pipe.... at the foundation wall. It always falls out when the flue pipe is removed. Mat told me the back pressure blew it out !!! I was like, WTF, no, when the oil company removed the flu pipe, it fell out, and he never re-cemented it. He was really lying on the BS to sell me a liner.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.