Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard a someone say that Chesters had a fire , does anyone have any other information about that ?   I hope its not true ,we can`t afford to lose another gun shop on Long Island. :(

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
I was at Chesters a few weeks ago.  Unless the fire was just recently,  it may be a rumor.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
I was just informed that Chester's did have a fire.   Nothing big, they are still open for business.  It was after my last visit.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Chesters was closed for2-3 weeks there up and running again. How is chesters to deal with buying pistols, I live close to them Ive been there just for fishing.
Anyone buy guns on line ,is it worth it or are you better dealing with a local store.
Do I need to have my permit to look at pistols.

·
The Sysop
36,800 Posts
You need a permit to handle a handgun.

I have found that if you find a specific firearm that you are looking for, buy it locally.

Ordering online:
1. You have to pay for FFL (30-100 bucks)
2. You have to pay for shipping

You will be in the hole at least 60 bucks before you actually get the damn thing. Plus at least you get to feel the gun. If its something you are looking for that the store doesnt stock; chances are they can obtain it. So ask!

Sometimes you can have the store match the price you see online. Speak to the salesman. He may even throw in a round of ammo or something...

·
Banned
2,268 Posts
I like chester.  I buy all my sierra bullet heads from him.  Good guy.   :)

·
Banned
5,707 Posts
The Architect said:

I have found that if you find a specific firearm that you are looking for, buy it locally.

Ordering online:

You will be in the hole at least 60 bucks before you actually get the damn thing. Plus at least you get to feel the gun. If its something you are looking for that the store doesnt stock; chances are they can obtain it. So ask!

Sometimes you can have the store match the price you see online. Speak to the salesman. He may even throw in a round of ammo or something...
- well said

·
Registered
889 Posts
I was at Chesters "after the fire", couldn't tell that there was one. It made the paper.
I wondered where they went to, and that's how I found out!

When I was there, they had a sign up $75 for one FFL tranaction (I assume that meant if you were not buying the gun from them, and just using their books).

He had good pricing on boxes of clays and cases of 12 and 20 gauge light skeet loads.

Well stocked with long guns, but not as many handguns.

The store is jammed packed with boxes and not well lit.

I like their original store on Portion Rd, when they 1st opened, I bought everything there. 2nd store down a little, east on Portion wasn't bad either.
The latest store is just jammed packed with boxes and just stuff.

·
The Sysop
36,800 Posts
Yes, I agree. I think they need to do some box cleanup.

The isles too are a little tight..

·
Premium Member
4,890 Posts
The Architect said:

Ordering online:

Good points there. Sometimes it may be worth it to spend a few extra bux to have the luxury of dealing with a salesman. Also, when something malfunctions you're not going to be "S.O.O.L." .

·
The Sysop
36,800 Posts
:yepthat

I will say this, stores now are seeing the disadvantage of turning business down. Thus, before you make ANY online purchase check with the local stores and see if they have one in stock. I have a GOOD feeling that they will match the price.

The ball folks is in our court now. Use it to make a puchase as well as a friendly relationship with a local store.

A complete listings of Long Island Stores can be found here:

http://www.longislandfirearms.com/forum/m-1238381636/

Call them before you visit any of online firearm auction houses.

(Tell them you saw it here on Long Island Firearms)

·
115:5
4,036 Posts
A few years back I was looking at a certain lever action. I was considering getting it at Wal-Mart. But I figured Id check locally first to try and support the small shops. I'm willing to pay a little more to do that.
Now I know that no small business has the buying power Wal-Mart does and there's no way they can match their price. But that "little extra" was $140.00 extra. That's a little more support than my budget can handle.

·
The Sysop
36,800 Posts
Thats a little too high. When you see that, thats when the store owner/manager needs to be addressed to at least know where he stands.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I agree, I don't mind paying a bit more to support a worthy local shop (small or large), as appose to a chain store.

The other problem with Walmart, is that you have to watch model numbers real closely.
HomeDepot does it too.
They have special models made for them, at reduced prices - slightly different model number.
And it's not the same as a normal catalog models... features reduced, in case I've seen, quality is reduced.

For years Snapper would not sell to Walmart, and dilute their name.
There's a article around call "The man that said no to Walmart", or something like that.
Great business piece.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
ramit said:
The other problem with Walmart, is that you have to watch model numbers real closely.
HomeDepot does it too.
They have special models made for them, at reduced prices - slightly different model number.
And it's not the same as a normal catalog models... features reduced, in case I've seen, quality is reduced.
100% true.

·
115:5
4,036 Posts
I don't buy the quality reduced part. Different, maybe. Wal-Mart does order some of them slightly different. IIRC they had a run of 10/22 with a different stock, that IMO was better than the "regular" one.

·
Registered
889 Posts
In some cases yes. I didn't say all.
In other cases, different, less features, special models with slightly less features and so on.

There's a series of BFG tires for SUVs you can only get at Wally World, never heard a good thing about them from those that tried them compared to standard series of BFGs offered else where. Wally World doesn't carry the standard series of BFG tires for trucks and SUVs, when I last shopped for them.

Wally world went after Snapper for a reduced quality mower to meet a certain price point, it's documented in that article, Snapper would not do it.

Looking for certain models of TVs, I didn't find the top end models (more feature rich ones). Always a few steps down, and some slightly different p/ns that couldn't be crossed to more generic models sold. A 720 version instead of a 1080 version... missing a few ports.....

HD got Toro to make a reduced quality mower years back, which at first you could only get at HD, now some Toro dealers carry them.
Stamped steel decks, sleeve bearings, the list goes on. My friend bought one of them from HD, I bought the standard line with the normal cast aluminum deck and bearings and so on from my local dealer. I've had zero problems, he keeps having drive problems.
We compared the units side by side, and things are different all over it, and the HD unit was less than 1/2 the price.

I missed the 1022 run. I wont argue that there are / will be exceptions.
Always need to be a wise shopper, and you were keen enough to find a good deal.
That's my point - look for the value to you - for what's being sold to you.
It's not always apples to apples.

·
Banned
17,343 Posts
ramit said:
HD got Toro to make a reduced quality mower years back, which at first you could only get at HD, now some Toro dealers carry them.
Stamped steel decks, sleeve bearings, the list goes on. My friend bought one of them from HD, I bought the standard line with the normal cast aluminum deck and bearings and so on from my local dealer. I've had zero problems, he keeps having drive problems.
We compared the units side by side, and things are different all over it, and the HD unit was less than 1/2 the price.
Bought that mower in 05 what a piece of garbage. let me guess the drive problems were related to the belt? After 2 years stipped off the motor scrapped the rest

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Plumbing fixtures are a good example at home depot. Check out a bathroom or kitchen faucet at home depot. Then go to a plumbing store and find the "same" one. The home depot unit will have some of the brass parts that have been substituted with plastic. The one at the plumbing store won't. The $30 you are saving at home depot may or may not be worth it to you.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.