Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
OnTargetGuy
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever use cheap scopes like Bsa, Utg, Aim or Bushnell?   Have they been destroyed by hight power rifle recoil?  Or are they a good buy for the buck?

·
Registered
5,575 Posts
BSA have been excellent for me on intermediate caliber arms. I've owned three of them, price range from $40 to $150... All impressed me for the $.

·
Putin, the new Ceasar. Veni,Vidi, Vici!
22,005 Posts
I'm a notorious cheapskate, and I have a couple of Bushnells Dawn to Dusk. One has lived on a .30-30, and a .30-06, and has survived them. Another cheapo scope is living very well on a .308.
Whatever scope you buy, make sure it has adjustable optics, so you can compensate for the parralax.

·
Registered
952 Posts
I started out with Bushnell scopes, and they used to be very good.  I haven't bought one in over 10 years so I can't comment on their quality now, but if I were in the market for an inexpensive scope, I would certainly look at a bushnell.

·
Vote 2A
1,878 Posts
Nikon pro staff you can get them on sale sometimes as low as $129 they are just as good if not better than $500 scopes I own.

·
OnTargetGuy
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a Bushnell 4 power on my 22 and a Bsa 4-26x40 on my mosin.  both seem to preform very well.   I was thinking about picking up a Utg  6-24x50  with illuminated  mil dot for my Psl was wondering if anybody ever used utg scopes?    They Kinda scare me that the make scopes for airsoft as well

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
My first gun which I bought around 6 years ago was a Remington 770 in a .270 which came with a cheap Bushnell scope.  Six years later and never being sighted I can still hit a balloon at around 200 yards, with basically the same hold. The scope is a Bushnell Sharpshooter 3-9X40mm.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I have a Bushnell Banner I bought for like $89. I put it on my Saiga but I have yet to actually dial it in. Dunno if I want to put it on my AR or go with a red dot.

As for magnification it's clean and clear. No complaints yet.

·
Registered
115 Posts
love the bushnell trophys and the bushnell trs-25 red dot which i put on my ar. stay away from truglo products. had two of um fail on me.

·
Uh-oh...
12,524 Posts
I have returned 3 or 4 BSA's, and at least one Barska in the last two years. Usually for not holding zero or reticles visibly rotating on everything from a .30-06 to a 9mm carbine. I have one BSA left on my 10/22 that has been there for two years, and can still hit a gnat's ass at 50yds. BSA's initially look good for the $, but my experience has not been favorable. I will not buy another.

My .223 Stevens 200 still has it's original Bushnell Sportsman, and has given me no grief.

The no-name Chinese scope that came on my DSG's Rem 700 wasn't good enough for a doorstop. Sent it back twice, and the third one never came out of the box. I put a <$100 Pentax from Sportsman's Guide on it, and it has put 9 rounds in a one inch square with cheap ammo.

The Tasco on my wife's 795 has also given me no grief, and stays spot on.

Personally, I am done with bottom of the barrel glass. My next scope will at least be a Nikon or one of those newer US made Redfields.

·
INFIDEL
7,262 Posts
I put a Barska 6x20 on a Mauser. The scope has taken a beating and still works very good.  I like the old Weaver K series scopes that were made in El Paso in the 50's to 70's You can find them for around $50-$100 Not as bright as a Nikon, But they look good on old military rifles,

·
Sifting Through the Ruins
7,979 Posts
Started out with a Tasco Pronghorn 2x7 on a slug gun. Lasted 14 rounds. Stepped up to a Simmons diamond slug scope and hundreds of rounds later she is clear and holds solid.
Best scope I have for the money: Bushnell Elite 3200 3x9. The differnce between junk and real instruments is at most $100. Why take the cheap route and always wonder when?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts