Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Sifting Through the Ruins
8,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going soon to South Carolina soon for the annual Grif family "new homestead" scouting trip and we are considering a side stop in Charleston.

Can anybody recommend some must do, must see stuff for a couple of Yankee tourists? Likely will only spend about 2 days there so I'd like to maximize the experience.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I lived there for 8 years.
Patriots point is right across the river in Mt. Pleasant.. literally a 10 min drive. USS Yorktown Carrier, Clamagore Submarine, lots of cool aircraft. If you like museums it's a no brainer.

Charleston has more churchs per area of any city I believe, there are lots off awesome old architecturally astounding churches with creepy Civil war cemeteries.

Take a boat to Ft. Sumter.

Just walk around south of Calhoun street, in the Meeting st, /E.Bay street area.. lots of cool wine/cigar bars, jazz/blues clubs, restaurants/bars.

Battery Park/Rainbow row is the tip of the peninsula, large park with Confederate statues, cannons, beautiful southern mansions.

Lots of history… just brutal hot/humid up until end of September.

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
My SIL and her family moved there last year and we visited about 6 months ago. As Toothy said, Yorktown and Sumter. Yorktown also has the Medal of Honor Museum on board also. Husk and Sermets were very good restaurants we went to.

·
Premium Member
3,011 Posts
It's a very cool place. Wife and I spent a weekend there. Lots of great restaurants and beer bars. The farmer's market had great apples. The ghost tour was cute. We did a tour of one of the mansions which was pretty wild. The beaches are very nice, but no waves.

We have strongly considered renting a large beach house there for the week with the whole family.

·
Banned
24,664 Posts
Going soon to South Carolina soon for the annual Grif family "new homestead" scouting trip and we are considering a side stop in Charleston.

Can anybody recommend some must do, must see stuff for a couple of Yankee tourists? Likely will only spend about 2 days there so I'd like to maximize the experience.
Drive there, park, get out.... Take in the freedom... That's worth the trip alone

I've never been but it's gotta be a lot better than here... Enjoy your trip

·
Sifting Through the Ruins
8,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Drive there, park, get out.... Take in the freedom... That's worth the trip alone

I've never been but it's gotta be a lot better than here... Enjoy your trip
Goin for the freedom, bro. I've been all over SC the last 3 years lookin for a homestead, just havn't hit this city yet. Wife, a committed NYC girl is 99% sold on moving, so each trip is a little bit closer to a down payment and Cuomo-land in the rear view mirror.

·
Registered
465 Posts
As said town is historic, beautiful buildings a living history great tours of the old mansions. Food is good lots of Seaford and southern comfort food, theirs a place called justines I believe food was excellent the whole place is buried in history lots of great museums and bars.

Reactions: grifhunter
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.