Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the market for a new chain saw. Only want to go Husky, echo, or stihl. I already have a husky 460 rancher 24" that belongs to a buddy but lives at my house(he doesn't even own a home, but he bought it after sandy to help with tree removal at his moms house). I had a 20" Poulan pro that belonged to my old man, but the lazy bastard asked for it back to do a job that he never did, over 3 mo this ago. I was thinking of getting another 20", but wondering if that is overkill given the access to the 24" husky. Even a 20" gets heavy when cutting up a felled tree and working on the smaller limbs. Should I go smaller? Blow small can I go without being too small?

·
Winter is coming
3,527 Posts
Billy, I have three Husq's, hands down the best saws I ever owned. 16", 18", 24". Believe the oiler is better than Stihl, (just my experience). Oddly enough, the 24 Ranch (with the bigger engine)has replaced the 18 (Ranch model as well) in just about every use, the extra reach means less bending, (big plus for me), it's actually lighter and quieter as well. Chainsawdirect.com, very good prices, super fast shipping.
I had thought I'd use the 16 for small work and limbing, but it rarely gets started.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Have two Stihl 290 saws. They are a bit cranky to start but get the job done. And I heat with wood so I depend on them.

One caveat, use ethanol free gas. Small engines do not like ethanol. My Stihl dealer told me most of his repair jobs are due to problems with ethanol messing up internal parts . If you have to use it be sure it is fresh.

I actually drive into NY to get ethanol free 91 octane at Mirabito gas stations. Use it in all my small engines.

·
Now an Ex NYer
24,978 Posts
HAve4 Stihl, Homelite, McCulloch, and Poulan. My older Poulan is a beast, 3400AV, uses 16:1 oil mix, my new Poulan is a POS. OLder Homelites are stii going strong, but Stihl is best hands down. Have everything from 14" to 40"

Reactions: bigbore44

·
Registered
851 Posts
Just got a stihl MS 271 20" and I love it, it's a monster. We also have 2 stihl MS 170's with16" bars (one on the island and one upstate) and those things are beasts. We also have a husky( not sure if the model) with an 18" bar. I am a big stihl guy and would definitely go with stihl. If you buy a stihl make sure you buy one from a dealer. Hope this helps

-Dave

·
Sharp Shooter!
3,914 Posts
I cannot say enough positive things about Stihl. I have them from the little 015 (Arborist)model, that is now approx 25 years old, that I bought used with a bad oiler worm gear. Other than replacing the worm, and a few pull ropes over the years, absolutely zero issues. My largest is a 034 for the big stuff.

The names of old, like Poulan and Homelite, are garbage now as compared to years ago. Strictly a good name licensed/bought to a crap manufacturer imo. If the Stihls go down hill, I wouldn't hesitate to try the Husky, as I have heard nothing bad about them yet, but for now, I will stick with what works for me - Stihl.

+1000 for storage with non-ethanol fuel.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Stihl all the way. Stihl saws that all see regular use, will be adding another one to the selection someday. Can never have enough Stihl saws. Selling a Makita 6412 (Dolmar) if you are interested...I just need to put a new carb on it.

Tip for all saw owners, replace the pull cord with 5 mm accessory climbing cord from REI (they even sell it by the foot I believe). You will get 6-12 inches more cord on, and it will last forever.

·
Registered
198 Posts
If you have access to a 24", then I'd recommend something small. They make tree climbers which are light and won't wear you out trimming branches or prepping a tree to be felled. Like others have said, Stihl and Husqvarna are some top brands. Bought a Husqvarna after Sandy and returned it because the saw wouldn't run unless I disconnected the brake. I bought a Stihl MS270, which I love. If I had the need, I'd definitely buy something light for trimming work as a second saw.

http://www.stihlusa.com/products/chain-saws/farm-and-ranch-saws/ms150ce/

·
Zombtac Operator
12,108 Posts
I have 3 husqys and love them. Just ripped a 70' ash that fell during that microcel we got here last month.

I would go only with husqvarna or stihl. More of a preference and model v. model thing. Both are quality products.

Seems more of a regional brand loyalty at the pro level. The arborists that consulted with me on my property (we have over 1000 trees at our house on LI) use both.

One thing I will ad is that Stihl seems to have more licensed service dealers locally and that can go a long way with warranty repairs, etc. Do your homework on that kind of stuff before buying.

·
Gunecologist
2,251 Posts
I have a Stihl 044 and 017 that I've had for over 25 years and with minimal maintence, they are both like new. Recently bought a Stihl 270 with Easy2Start (really works) and it became my favorite. Right combination of power to weight. Had a Husky (344?) but someone wanted it more than me. Now I only use Stihl pre-mix in all my saws because of the stuff they mix into the gas. Works like a charm.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I have run some stihls some crappy craftsmens prior, I picked up a dolmar 7 years ago and have never looked back.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I have Stihl 180, 14" and a Husky 440E 18". I bought the Husky while the Stihl was being fixed (first problem in 12 years). I like both, but the Stihl us still my go to saw.

Stihl 180 12" or 14". Powerful enough for anything, but small enough you can climb a ladder with it. <$200 most days new and it complements your big saw.

·
Zombtac Operator
12,108 Posts
To the OP's question: Really depends on your needs, but yes you can go too small (not enough power, more wear and tear over-running it, and well, anything smaller than 20 is small). I can't imagine going smaller than 20 (I use my 20s for small branch trimming and bush clearing as well, very versatile size, just enough power).

I really would like to add some larger commercial sizes, It's tough bucking big trunks on 70 foot+ tall hardwood with the 24" and the additional HP would help too. (I cut firewood each year, and fallen trees) but my property on the N. Shore has more trees than my entire block and the one over had on the S. Shore so it's also about personal usage. Same goes for upstate but we have so many acres up there and the area around the house is cleared so I actually do less woodcutting there.

But husqvarna or stihl.

·
Listen up,I don&#39;t dial 911.
3,586 Posts
I have a Stihl commercial and a echo, both are fine when they star and the blades are sharp.

You can get a 20 inch and put a smaller bar on it and have some crazy power, My Stihl is 18 inch Instead of buying a smaller saw I found a 14 bar and chain. Its very heavy machine. Either one is fine just get a machine from the commercial side of either company.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.