Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Centre County just opened today for walk-ins with very limited hours. Did anyone go there ?

1/2 day walk in's.

1/2 day by appointment only.

It's a long drive to stand in line & then get shut out.

·
Registered
11,631 Posts
Centre County just opened today for walk-ins with very limited hours. Did anyone go there ?
1/2 day walk in's.
1/2 day by appointment only.

It's a long drive to stand in line & then get shut out.
You can save hours in travel by going to Wayne County which is 3 hours from Nassau/Suffolk border. You apply online, it's easy a few people that came up during the deer hunting season had it in less than 3 weeks. You need 2 character references the first time you apply. They can fax it to save time.

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
Applied on line. Wayne County will issue non resident CCW permits as long as the applicant has a CCW from their home state. Wayne County considers the Nassau County permit a carry permit with restrictions. Apply on line and once the permit is ready you will get a text and e-mail stating that your permit is ready for pick up. I picked mine up on July 1st and it took less than 10 minutes. A completely painless process. Here is the link: Wayne County Sheriff's Office Online License to Carry Gun Permit Director

·
Registered
62 Posts
Well Wayne County stopped issuing, to NY with Sportsmen endorsement. I wonder if they’re going to revoke the ones already issued.

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
I hope not. Interesting since the Sheriff Christopher Rosler is the same Sheriff that issued mine in July 2021. Is Centre County still issuing? Were you able to get your CCW from a different PA county?

·
Registered
11,631 Posts
I hope not. Interesting since the Sheriff Christopher Rosler is the same Sheriff that issued mine in July 2021. Is Centre County still issuing? Were you able to get your CCW from a different PA county?
You may call the Sheriff and speak to him or his secretary about hearing this information on a pro 2A forum.

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
I forgot to mention and don’t know if this was helpful or not but I wrote a cover letter and provided copies of my Nassau Sportsman, FL CCW, military DD 214 and volunteer fire service documentation.

·
Registered
11,631 Posts
I forgot to mention and don’t know if this was helpful or not but I wrote a cover letter and provided copies of my Nassau Sportsman, FL CCW, military DD 214 and volunteer fire service documentation.
When the guys I know applied for their PA LTC Online. It was simply attaching a current State Driver License and Nassau County Pistol License. They received their PA LTC in less than a month.

·
Registered
11,631 Posts
Now if you are able to get it you apply on line but must pick it up in person.
It was simple with the online application. Wayne County Court House is in Honesdale. A much easier drive compared to Centre County.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Centre County Sheriff is still issuing with Sportmens endorsement. My son was refused a permit with the Sportmens endorsement in Wayne Count. Sheriff said he called Suffolk PLB, and the PLB told him he can only carry hunting, and target.PLB still screwing people when it doesn’t concern them. What a surprise! Sheriff of Wayne, stated that they’ll only issue to NY residents with full carry on their license. Mine was issued in September, guess to many people were pestering them about the Sportmens endorsement. They refunded my son his money, and withdrew his application. I suspect, if I’m still a NY resident, when up for renewal for PA they’ll refuse me, as long as I have the Sportmens endorsement. A friend from upstate was issued a permit from Tioga County, with a Sportmens endorsement. That might be a option for some people Simple fact is this state suck‘s. Leave if you can, I’ll be gone soon enoug.

·
Registered
7,494 Posts
Hopefully a positive Supreme Court decision will nullify this nonsense.

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
Also- I really don’t think they will change it upon renewal. They might just renew it and I agree with Paul that with the NYSPRA v Bruen decision being issued no later than June this will hopefully be a non issue.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Supreme Court ruling isn’t going to let it become the Wild West. Anyone thinking they’ll rule without some type of control, is in fantasy land. PA Sheriff will do as he pleases, within PA law, including what/how he interprets it. Plenty of PA Sheriffs won’t issue to NY without a full carry listed on the license. Even though the license is carry, only three classifications in NY law. Carry, Premise, and Employment.

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
My hope is that the SCOTUS decision will remove the proper cause requirement. You will still have to apply for a permit and probably take the NRA Basic Pistol Course in effect making NY a shall issue State. I agree with you that NY will not become a Constitutional carry State but the shall issue is a possible outcome.

·
Registered
7,494 Posts
Supreme Court ruling isn’t going to let it become the Wild West. Anyone thinking they’ll rule without some type of control, is in fantasy land. PA Sheriff will do as he pleases, within PA law, including what/how he interprets it. Plenty of PA Sheriffs won’t issue to NY without a full carry listed on the license. Even though the license is carry, only three classifications in NY law. Carry, Premise, and Employment.
No one said anything about Wild West or removing ALL controls. The hope is the ruling will strike down the proper cause requirement meaning no reason has to be given for why you are applying for the license. There is also some hope based on oral arguments that restrictions on concealed carry outside the home for the purpose of self-defense will be declared unconstitutional except in unusual places. That was one of the main discussions during oral arguments. At this point it's wait and see but no one is suggesting the ruling will remove all controls.

Reactions: RSL

·
Registered
11,631 Posts
Centre County Sheriff is still issuing with Sportmens endorsement. My son was refused a permit with the Sportmens endorsement in Wayne Count. Sheriff said he called Suffolk PLB, and the PLB told him he can only carry hunting, and target.PLB still screwing people when it doesn’t concern them. What a surprise! Sheriff of Wayne, stated that they’ll only issue to NY residents with full carry on their license. Mine was issued in September, guess to many people were pestering them about the Sportmens endorsement. They refunded my son his money, and withdrew his application. I suspect, if I’m still a NY resident, when up for renewal for PA they’ll refuse me, as long as I have the Sportmens endorsement. A friend from upstate was issued a permit from Tioga County, with a Sportmens endorsement. That might be a option for some people Simple fact is this state suck‘s. Leave if you can, I’ll be gone soon enoug.
This stemmed from the Sheriff calling Suffolk?
I believe it’s more, his office was inundated with applications from New York which caused a significant personnel issue having problems getting them processed.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I went the Wayne County route last year. Went online filled out the App. The replied with my approval.. I took the 3 hr drive. I was in and out in 10 min. They were extremely nice and we all laughed at NY State's stupid laws.

·
Registered
62 Posts
This stemmed from the Sheriff calling Suffolk?
I believe it’s more, his office was inundated with applications from New York which caused a significant personnel issue having problems getting them processed.
[/QUOTE
I‘m sure plenty of clowns called his office, asking ridiculous questions about the permit. With no shortage coming from Nassau, and Suffolk. They certainly, won’t say that. My son wrote a formal letter to the sheriff explaining NYS law.The sheriff never called NYS Police, who would have explained his license is a carry license. It’s not a issue any longer, we just went to Centre, he was done in 10 min. Some (actually a fair amount)of the sheriffs in PA won’t issue a non resident permit. The issue comes down to the scumbags of this tyrant state, with its overpaid agency’s (thugs) enforcing insane policies.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts