Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
The Sysop
36,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Suggestion:
We can do a CB band for when we are 4x4ing to meet up etc. A general channel for us 4x4ers :)

Im thinking channel 32

·
The Sysop
36,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We want our own # :)

·
Banned
673 Posts
CB sucks...just FYI, get a license and come to 2m.

·
Banned
2,674 Posts
Where does one purchase a CB radio here on LI? I was thinking about having one installed in my truck.

·
Banned
673 Posts
guyver0313 said:
Where does one purchase a CB radio here on LI? I was thinking about having one installed in my truck.
cruise the antique stores....(or radioshack, I think they still carry the Cobra)...no matter what you come up with they suck, its just sucky cheap gear on a sucky frequency. Look into FRS or GMRS if you are really interested in communicating effectively.

·
Banned
2,674 Posts
I already have a GMRS style personal radio set. I got a set that has throat mics as well. Nice piece of tech. But in Maine, when the family goes hunting, many of them have CB radios installed in their trucks. So, when in Rome...

·
The Sysop
36,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a handheld; works good..

·
Banned
5,707 Posts
guyver0313 said:
radio shack in Merrick has CB items - online is probably your best bet

if you need help with install me and noarguy and pretty handy

·
APPLESEED RIFLEMAN NRA LIFE-ENDOWMENT MEMBER
3,076 Posts
How does the range on the small gmrs' comapare to a CB unit? Do they have mobile units like CB does?

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Dont get me wrong, its not amazing, but it works

·
Banned
673 Posts
Starman said:
How does the range on the small gmrs' comapare to a CB unit? Do they have mobile units like CB does?
Both are limited to 5 watts. GMRS gets better building penetration and works better than CB in our area. CB frequencies don't quite benefit from the advantages of a HF HAM station and the power limit doesn't help things. If you have done any work with the fire department in Nassau, you know how crappy the "Low Band" is, especially the portables. CB is more or less the same deal. All of our hills don't really help. Most any HAM radio can be modified for GMRS/FRS operations...above...ahem...standard power limits...and so equipment is not the issue. I have modified all of my HAM gear for legal emergency services ops.

·
Registered
785 Posts
guyver0313 said:
your best bet is to get off L I to get a good C B any good truck stop should be able to help you.like most guns you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
361 Posts
GMRS is way bettter than CB.
EMSJEEP is right though, 2M is the best.
Get a ham license and you get it all.
It is so easy now. No more morse code.
Being the "RADIOMAN" I kinda know about this stuff.
Any real interest PM me and I will connect you to the right people.

PS EMSJEEP on what repeaters/simplex frequency can I find you?

·
Premium Member
3,881 Posts
I know radio shack has the cobra not a bad set  i have one for years used it when i was on the road driving trucks i now have it in my pick up

·
Banned
673 Posts
radioman said:
GMRS is way bettter than CB.
EMSJEEP is right though, 2M is the best.
Get a ham license and you get it all.
It is so easy now. No more morse code.
Being the "RADIOMAN" I kinda know about this stuff.
Any real interest PM me and I will connect you to the right people.

PS EMSJEEP on what repeaters/simplex frequency can I find you?
I don't get the .805 up on the north shore too well and I don't care to listen to LIMARC chatter, I've been a member since 2001 and the last event I went to, other than a Hamfest was the 2001 or 2002 Holiday Party...never again...I usually stay clear unless there is a SkyWarn net going...
I have met some good people but the arrogant jerks and pedophiles turned me off.

·
Registered
4,453 Posts
I have a hand held CB stuck away in my closet for years. Looks like I'm going to have to dig that out and see what it can do. I remember LIE was channel 19 Northern State Pkwy was 21 and the emergency channel if I remember correctly was 9. That was years ago so things may have changed.

·
The Sysop
36,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Im thinking it could be fun.. After all a lot of us have CBs from back in the day.  Why not recycle them and use them for LIF :)

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.