Long Island Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a quick search and didnt see too much on it. I know we're allowed to stop for food. But just curious lets say I was heading out east to the range and wanted to stop at a store to grab ammo... is this frowned upon or allowed?

·
That Guy
11,504 Posts
Well....

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
Bring a bag of peanuts with you. Stop for food.

Seriously, I think if something happened and you got caught I think they would try to hang you out to dry.

Chance is very slim but still there.

·
Registered
530 Posts
From the Suffolk County handbook:

Licensees are authorized to stop only for nonalcoholic refreshments and/or a meal on the way to and from their shooting destination. You are authorized to do this only during the period between leaving your residence and arriving at your shooting destination or during the return trip. You are not authorized to take your firearm to any establishment used primarily for alcohol consumption. You are not authorized to conduct any other non- target shooting or hunting activity while in possession of your handgun. In the event a licensee does choose to break for a refreshment and/or meal, they are responsible for the concealment and safeguarding of their firearms.

Kinda vague. I suppose you can consider buying ammo a target shooting activity, no?

·
Premium Member
3,781 Posts
can you believe we have to think about this $%# at all?

·
Registered
11,487 Posts
Many people have asked similar questions over the years about carrying a pistol with restrictions. It isn't a crime if caught carrying out of restrictions.
If you get caught in a gun shop carrying concealed with a Sportsman restriction, expect a suspension unless that shop has an indoor range.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
From the Suffolk County handbook:

Licensees are authorized to stop only for nonalcoholic refreshments and/or a meal on the way to and from their shooting destination. You are authorized to do this only during the period between leaving your residence and arriving at your shooting destination or during the return trip. You are not authorized to take your firearm to any establishment used primarily for alcohol consumption. You are not authorized to conduct any other non- target shooting or hunting activity while in possession of your handgun. In the event a licensee does choose to break for a refreshment and/or meal, they are responsible for the concealment and safeguarding of their firearms.

Kinda vague. I suppose you can consider buying ammo a target shooting activity, no?
I would agree. While it is not explicitly stated there, you also had the firearm at the gun shop in the very least on the day you bought it, and then are certainly allowed to bring it in for repairs, etc. You brought it to the PLB once too.

The handbook is not law. It is an administrative minefield.

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
Although I mailed out a handgun for warranty repair myself at a USPS, what if I went back to a LGS and asked them to do it, decided that their suggestion obviated the need for a repair, and bought a box on the way out the door ? Whatever, concealed means concealed. No bike shorts and tight tank tops, lol.

edited as rlitman answered it better

·
Registered
106 Posts
I think this is an exercise in "what if". These rules have existed in Nassau and Suffolk for 50+ years. People have been exceeding their carry authority for that time. If they wanted, they can screw with your permit for essentially no reason at all. I have never heard about anyone ever having any problem with licensing for having a gun at a gun shop. If you carry into Walmart, it might be a different answer.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Although I mailed out a handgun for warranty repair myself at a USPS, what if I went back to a LGS and asked them to do it, decided that their suggestion obviated the need for a repair, and bought a box on the way out the door ? Whatever, concealed means concealed. No bike shorts and tight tank tops, lol.

edited as rlitman answered it better
The Post Office is an interesting issue, as that falls under Federal and not NYS law. You definitely cannot carry there.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Just ano ther reason to leave this state. The whole thing in is it's a NYS carry ,with restrictions by Suffolk. How much money do you want to spend on Lawyers , you'll win but you'll loose time money and guns till it's finished.

·
Now an Ex NYer
24,861 Posts
Buying ammo seems to be a related thing..

·
Now an Ex NYer
24,861 Posts
How can you read this thread and think we haven't already lost it?
When everyone is too terrified to exercise the little bit of a right they have left unless they have express PERMISSION to do so, they no longer have rights

·
Now an Ex NYer
24,861 Posts
and that is by design...

1 - 20 of 38 Posts