Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it has nothing to do with firearms but I figure its something else to talk about. Having a bit of trouble with the car, it starts but stalls out in 2-3 seconds.
Battery new, just had a tune up about 3 months ago, gas is good (1/2 tank) its a Grand Caravan 2007 with 104 grand on it. Was running great this morning.
These new cars you can't do anything without the right meters, when I was young we would tear cars apart, now I open the hood and I see something I'm pretty sure is a battery and that's about it. I'm gonna have it towed to my guy in the morning just figured if anyone knows of an on/off switch under the hood that might have been accidentally switched to off I can look for.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
if you stab the gas while it's running, does it bog then stall or just shut down? If it just shuts down it sounds like an immobilizer issue....possibly a bad key. Try a second key if you have it. If you JUST changed the battery then it needs to relearn idle. Stay on the gas pedal until it relearns idle.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just gave it another try its cranking like a champ but now it won't start at all and with all the cranking and some pumping I don't smell any gas at all so I'm thinking fuel pump. I hope this is not the one IN the gas tank.

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
I would go to an auto parts any buy yourself an inexpensive OBD II code reader. You can get one for about $50-75. You can read your code in about a minute and erase the idiot light when It's fixed. They an really save time and money over the years. They really come in handy to avoid much head scratching troubleshooting.

·
Banned
19,459 Posts
First thing to do is see if it's throwing any codes, you can get a cheap OBDII scan tool at Harbor Freight, or some cars will flash out the codes on an LED or the dash (look in your owners' manual).

If it's dying right after startup, my guess is MAP sensor or IAV stepper- there are a plethora of other possibilities of course, and I'm not familiar with the Grand CaravAN.

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
I am guessing it IS in the tank, BUT, because it is a minivan, you MIGHT be able to access it through a panel in the interior floor, under the carpet. I'm sorry, I'm not that familiar with this exact vehicle. You could look to see if there is a schrader-type valve on the fuel injector rail(looks like a tire valve), remove the cover, press down on the plunger while someone cranks the engine to see if fuel sprays out(wear safety glasses, have a fire extinguisher nearby!). If no fuel, then it is the fuel pump, a fuel pump driver module( if applicable), it's relay or fuse, or possibly(if that model year used it), a emergency inertia cutoff switch. Good luck.

·
Banned
6,368 Posts
Clearly it's the flux capacitor.

Seriously, sounds like a possible fuel pump. If you cycle the key several times and then start it, does it run any longer than just 2-3 seconds?

Reactions: li02liberty

·
win support for firearms - train a new shooter
1,671 Posts
If you toggle the key ON,OFF,ON,OFF,and then ON again the code should be displayed on the odometer display.
for Chrysler this works good for me for emissions codes,and powertrain codes. , ABS, SRS SKS it doesn't always show

the way it shuts down sounds like a key immobilize SKS problem is at the top of a long list

IF one spends $$ on a code reader spend a few extra on one that reads live data and graphs, the $130 Harbor Freight one is decent for the rare weekend mechanic, The sampling on the graphs is not the best but it helps

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
Do those have in-line fuel filters ? Maybe it's clogged ?

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
I just gave it another try its cranking like a champ but now it won't start at all and with all the cranking and some pumping I don't smell any gas at all so I'm thinking fuel pump. I hope this is not the one IN the gas tank.
Your van is fuel injected, pumping the gas pedal isnt like a carburetor, it does nothing for pumping fuel into the engine. Also, if it is pumping fuel you wont smell it because it is being injected directly into the cylinders. To check if you are getting fuel to the engine, there are schrader valves (like your tire valve stems) on the fuel rails. You can press on them with a screwdriver and see if fuel squirts out. If the fuel is there, and the pump is working, it squirts out hard, so beware.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.