Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay need opinions and options. The boy is heading off for college in Florida in a couple of weeks. We are trying to figure out what is the best way we can get his car and stuff down there. Car is old and may not make the journey, so i was thinking about using a transport service or renting a car trailer and towing it myself along with all his other stuff. Anyone ever do this stuff and know any other suggestions appreciated.

·
Registered
5,526 Posts
Okay need opinions and options. The boy is heading off for college in Florida in a couple of weeks. We are trying to figure out what is the best way we can get his car and stuff down there. Car is old and may not make the journey, so i was thinking about using a transport service or renting a car trailer and towing it myself along with all his other stuff. Anyone ever do this stuff and know any other suggestions appreciated.
Not sure where in FL, but if he could get the car to VA, this may be an option.
http://www.amtrak.com/auto-train

·
shots fired
2,305 Posts
"station car" that's what my dad did for my brother and he was only in CT. Buy a strong running but cheap car (he got a saturn) and just leave it down there. Something that he won't care if it gets damaged or broken into.

·
Premium Member
5,422 Posts
If the car really might not make the drive then it probably isn't worth the cost of shipping it down there. Buy a jalop down there. First year? Most schools don't allow cars on campus first year.
Car runs like a top it is just old and not worth a whole lot of many. I was hoping I could at least get him through his first semester or two with this one. Figured let him and us settle in with the new expenses before i get another car. School allows cars and he kinds of needs it for the area. Car is high mileage though so I am expecting trouble at any time

·
Premium Member
3,568 Posts
Car runs like a top it is just old and not worth a whole lot of many. I was hoping I could at least get him through his first semester or two with this one. Figured let him and us settle in with the new expenses before i get another car. School allows cars and he kinds of needs it for the area. Car is high mileage though so I am expecting trouble at any time
That uship thing sounds like a bargain and worth the gamble, but I've seen those clowns on the show (I'm sure it's scripted but still) and that's my only hesitation. Some seemed like they knew what they were doing and others didn't. You don't really know who is taking it. Then again, make sure it's full insured and worse case scenario you get paid out.

Typically, PLYCON would be my recco, but they are expensive and I would be willing to bet would cost over $1K. Maybe call around as the Snowbirds may start going back around the same time and if a carrier needs 1 more for a full load, maybe you get lucky!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.