·
Premium Member
3,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Human Hoist - Hi-tech Chair Turns Into Creeper

·
Banned
4,735 Posts
Crappy website, no price. WHY do companies think that not having the price is a good thing? Do they think that finding out the price later or working and searching for the price is somehow going to trick people into buying it anyway even if it is too much money? Just put up the price, if it is too much, oh well. Better to know the price and consider it than not know the price and dismiss it as "probably costs more than my car".
If you are a mechanic, I could not imagine NOT owning one.

·
Member of the secret Canadian Mafia
5,770 Posts
I do not know why, but I want one.

·
Premium Member
3,185 Posts
Reactions: zx9allday

·
Banned
19,459 Posts
Yeah, I can not imagine any mechanic not owning one- unless it's $90K and it doesn't look like it gets as low as my dogbone creeper either. A real mechanic would probably put whatever he was working on up on a four-post and not go for the sliding-around-on-his-back deal at all. I have a pretty thick sternum-to-spine measurement and even a dogbone with 9" ramps is pushing it for me with some cars with low ground clearances. I'm usually having to wedge in and do the "jumping jack" tool pass around my head because I can't put an arm across my chest. An extra 2-3" in height is a deal breaker, no matter how awesomely it turns into a chair.

When they invent one that drops three inches below the concrete floor slab so you can wrench and breathe at the same time, I'm in. I do admire the mechanical cleverness of it though. And it looks pretty cool.

This is more in line with my budget
or some Contractor bags laid under the car.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
OK that is brilliant. But I cannot image what that thing is like on a STONE driveway! They show it sliding nice but it must feel like a russian torture table! (I made that up, I think)
I have a stone driveway and just laying down to loo under my truck is painful.
Dunno, but I've got a bunch of scrap treadmill belts which are almost exactly this. Now I've got to try this!

·
Registered
11,590 Posts
Dunno, but I've got a bunch of scrap treadmill belts which are almost exactly this. Now I've got to try this!
I've been using this idea for years - a slip sheet - a roll of plastic, some heavy garbage bags, whatever. double it over drop a piece of cardboard or 1/4 ply on top and it slides almost like ice.

·
Premium Member
651 Posts
I remember seeing the human hoist on a show called Invention USA. History channel.

Anyway, I don't think they picked it up. I think too expensive to manufacture might have been the reason. It was a while ago, so I don't really remember the details. Show was so bad you can't even find any info on History's website....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.