Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Member of the secret Canadian Mafia
5,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a 2013 Ram 1500, crew cab, 4x4, 3.6l engine, 8 speed. I love it, but the axle ratio is 3.21 which limits its towing capacity. Ideally I would like to upgrade the axle ratio to 3.55, which almost doubles its tow capacity.

So,
1. Can I have the Ram dealer upgrade the axle ratio?
2. Any idea how much something like this would cost?

Thanks in advance!

·
5,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will, thanks!

One more question... Will this affect the warranty on my truck?

·
5,770 Posts
Okay. At least I now know it can be done. I will talk to my dealer about it.

·
5,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey it is plenty strong for my purposes and I love the MPG!

·
Registered
531 Posts
I think that you might have to pick a factory gear ratio for the speed to be set correctly. The transmission might not shift correctly if not programed to the new ratio of engine rpm to road speed. Just a thought. YES Tommy MOON is the man you want if not doing it yourself. He is sometimes moody but hands down knows his s#$T.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
Another +1 to Moon. Keep it straight to the point, don't drool on the 200k dollar paint jobs of some cars in his shop, and if you pick up after hours he might have a beer with you.

If you wanna tow, go 3.73. 3.55 is too small of a jump. My tundra is at 4.30 rear end with 401 lb/ft torque....your 6 banger is gonna need help.

Keep in mind your towing capacity is also limited to your frame, suspension, and brakes.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.