Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
former ak builder
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone with experience please post a legal step by step guide on cutting the ak barrel properly. its one of the things im afraid of messing up. woukd like to get my ak104 project done sometime soon... :)  thnx

·
Registered
5,575 Posts
If it is anything like the SKS:
1- Put gun in vice
2- Grab hacksaw
3- Cut barrel
4- Even out any angle with hand file
5- Re crown muzzle

It's that simple, just cutting a metal tube. Buy an extra blade, you'll almost definitely wear one out.

·
The Artist formally known as AR_Guy
6,913 Posts
I was going to say the same thing as AkunaMatata but I figured you would think I was being a wise a$$. I've seen it done with AR barrels that way. Brownells has the crowning tool.

·
former ak builder
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
wont the hacksaw damage the chrome lining via flaking?

·
Registered
8,632 Posts
BKLYN_C said:
No it wont. Barrel is not Harley exhaust pipe, chrome doesnt chip off
Dat's funny and I own a Harley.

·
Registered
5,575 Posts
BKLYN_C said:
No it wont. Barrel is not Harley exhaust pipe, chrome doesnt chip off
We need a 'Russian accent font' for nuggets like that.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Bring it to a GOOD Gunsmith. Have it done right

·
Registered
765 Posts
I am in the process of a 91/30 scout rifle (I'll post in DIY section shortly) I cut the barrel last night. As this was a cheap rifle ($59 parts gun) and the goal of the project was to do stuff my self and keep it inexpensive, I took my chances cutting it myself.

Process I followed below:

I used a piece of angle iron (with the factory cut 90°) as a guide.
Since the barrel was tapered, I used electric tape to make a spacer and keep it perpendicular tothe barrel. Used calipers to measure the diameter of each.
(muzzle to left, you can see that side has more tape).

Next I clamped it in place. I used wood blocks with grooves to keep it straight on the barrel / angle iron.

Before gutting, I pushed some cleaning pads down the barrel just beyond where I was cutting.

Then using a hacksaw (bi metal 24 tooth blade) I cut through the barrel. Cutting time took about 5 min.

After cutting, I used a file to smoth down the cut, followed by 220 and 600 grit paper.

I then used a carrage bolt and some polishing compound to crwon the barrel. I will likely need to try again with some larger grit and work way down again, but for now, appears serviceable.

Total time approximatly 1 hour.

·
Putin, the new Ceasar. Veni,Vidi, Vici!
22,005 Posts
I did this initially:

I cut off the rear mount to expose the 11mm dovetail, and used a 3/8th's inch once piece scope mount to mount an NCStar 2-7x32 pistol scope. Worked great! If you do go this route: If the mount has a set screw to retain the mount in the horizontal, USE IT!

·
Registered
765 Posts
Mad Russian said:
I did this initially:

I cut off the rear mount to expose the 11mm dovetail, and used a 3/8th's inch once piece scope mount to mount an NCStar 2-7x32 pistol scope. Worked great! If you do go this route: If the mount has a set screw to retain the mount in the horizontal, USE IT!
This is similar to the route I was going. I was going to use a 3/8 to weaver adaptor then the same scope. I planned to use any set screws to further lock things in place.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts