Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
SASI Firearms Chairman, LISAPA Training Committee
6,800 Posts
There are no licensing laws, outside of NYC, for long guns. However, the NYS Penal Code applies to NYS residents and anyone else, while in NYS The NJ resident, therefore, cannot shoot or possess a NYS-illegal firearm, while in NYS. See 265.02(7), of the NYS Penal Code. It's not like the NYC Administrative Code. Sorry.
Gary

·
6,800 Posts
There are no licensing laws, outside of NYC, for long guns. However, the NYS Penal Code applies to NYS residents and anyone else, while in NYS The NJ resident, therefore, cannot shoot or possess a NYS-illegal firearm, while in NYS. See 265.02(7), of the NYS Penal Code. It's not like the NYC Administrative Code. Sorry.
Gary

·
Registered
723 Posts
Gary_Hungerford said:
Gary
Very interesting, because I have seen out of state residents come in to ranges on Long Island, and shoot their rifles.........:jawdrop you really have to check all laws prior to doing something.....I would still contact Mitchell Field and NCPD for their opinion.............

·
Registered
723 Posts
Gary_Hungerford said:
Gary
Very interesting, because I have seen out of state residents come in to ranges on Long Island, and shoot their rifles.........:jawdrop you really have to check all laws prior to doing something.....I would still contact Mitchell Field and NCPD for their opinion.............

·
6,800 Posts
Maverick said:
Very interesting, because I have seen out of state residents come in to ranges on Long Isalnd and shoot their rifles.........:jawdrop
Out of state residents can shoot their rifles, to their heart's content, provided possession of those rifles are not illegal, in this state.
Gary

·
6,800 Posts
Maverick said:
Very interesting, because I have seen out of state residents come in to ranges on Long Isalnd and shoot their rifles.........:jawdrop
Out of state residents can shoot their rifles, to their heart's content, provided possession of those rifles are not illegal, in this state.
Gary

·
Registered
723 Posts
Gary_Hungerford said:
Gary
But rifles including AR-15's do not require a permit in Nassau or Suffolk County. Sorry missing your point.......

·
Registered
723 Posts
Gary_Hungerford said:
Gary
But rifles including AR-15's do not require a permit in Nassau or Suffolk County. Sorry missing your point.......

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
We are talking about a NJ / NY Ban Compliant AR 15.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Colt 700 said:
"Can a friend of mine who is licensed in NJ, bring, and shoot his AR in NY Nassau, and Suffolk?
Sorry if this is a really stupid question."

I think that was a certainty given the permit issued by NJ.................

·
Registered
723 Posts
Colt 700 said:
"Can a friend of mine who is licensed in NJ, bring, and shoot his AR in NY Nassau, and Suffolk?
Sorry if this is a really stupid question."

I think that was a certainty given the permit issued by NJ.................

·
Premium Member
5,947 Posts
Maverick said:
Just spoke to Nassau County Pistol/Rifle Range..........."as long as the out of state resident has a permit from their state, for the rifle, they can shoot at this range............" I would suggest unloaded in a locked case, in your trunk while traveling through NJ, NYC and Long Island..............
Calling the ranges is going to get you more confusing information that you started with. And ranges and thier personnel are NOT experts in the laws.
There is no license needed for long arms in NY State EXCEPT for NY City. As long as the long arm is NY compliant, a non resident can possess, have and use in NY State.
Unloaded and in a case (Does not have to be locked) is NYS conservation law.
So in effect what the range just told you is that if he doesn;t have a permit from his homes ate he can;t shoot? NYC and NJ are the only two jurisdictions in this area that requitre permits. So anybody from Connecticut that want to participate in a match here can't? And Nassau or Suffolk are not legally required to enforce another states laws. They are only concerned with NYS law and since there is no licensing restriction on longarms what they told you is bunk.. Your going to get whoever answers the phone telling you what he thinks is correct.
The only restrictions that apply are as mentioned before compliance with NYS law as to the firearm including any magazine capacity.

·
Premium Member
5,947 Posts
Maverick said:
Just spoke to Nassau County Pistol/Rifle Range..........."as long as the out of state resident has a permit from their state, for the rifle, they can shoot at this range............" I would suggest unloaded in a locked case, in your trunk while traveling through NJ, NYC and Long Island..............
Calling the ranges is going to get you more confusing information that you started with. And ranges and thier personnel are NOT experts in the laws.
There is no license needed for long arms in NY State EXCEPT for NY City. As long as the long arm is NY compliant, a non resident can possess, have and use in NY State.
Unloaded and in a case (Does not have to be locked) is NYS conservation law.
So in effect what the range just told you is that if he doesn;t have a permit from his homes ate he can;t shoot? NYC and NJ are the only two jurisdictions in this area that requitre permits. So anybody from Connecticut that want to participate in a match here can't? And Nassau or Suffolk are not legally required to enforce another states laws. They are only concerned with NYS law and since there is no licensing restriction on longarms what they told you is bunk.. Your going to get whoever answers the phone telling you what he thinks is correct.
The only restrictions that apply are as mentioned before compliance with NYS law as to the firearm including any magazine capacity.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.