Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Sharp Shooter!
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Brother in-law lives in NJ and claims that he know on a shop that has really good prices.

Can I buy a pistol by walking in a store in NJ, Ct or Pa?

·
Sharp Shooter!
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
My Brother in-law lives in NJ and claims that he know on a shop that has really good prices.

·
Registered
474 Posts
From my understanding, No. Interstate transactions are done thru an FFL.

COBLIS is a bigger issue on new handguns from other states also. I purchased a pistol out of state, did the FFL transfer deal, and hit a brick wall when it did not have the COBLIS samples. My FFL dealer when through a bunch of BS and it cost me extra $$$$. :grrr

·
Registered
474 Posts
From my understanding, No. Interstate transactions are done thru an FFL.

COBLIS is a bigger issue on new handguns from other states also. I purchased a pistol out of state, did the FFL transfer deal, and hit a brick wall when it did not have the COBLIS samples. My FFL dealer when through a bunch of BS and it cost me extra $$$$. :grrr

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
You should be able to as long as you go thru FFL's on both ends.

The prices will have to be VERY good to make it worthwhile though.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
You should be able to as long as you go thru FFL's on both ends.

The prices will have to be VERY good to make it worthwhile though.

·
The Sysop
36,800 Posts
MOVED   Out Of State Licensing

·
The Sysop
36,800 Posts
MOVED   Out Of State Licensing

·
SASI Firearms Chairman, LISAPA Training Committee
6,820 Posts
65Gunz said:

Yes, you may purchase the handgun but the NJ FFL will have to ship it to a NYS FFL, who will have to have it made CoBis compliant, if it's a new gun. If it's used, then CoBis doesn't apply.
The cost of having an NYS FFL handle to transaction, plus the cost of the CoBis compliance could easily add $100 to the cost of that gun. Consequently, if it's new, you're probably going to be better off buying it from a NYS dealer.
PM me, if you have any sensitive questions.
Gary

·
SASI Firearms Chairman, LISAPA Training Committee
6,820 Posts
65Gunz said:

Yes, you may purchase the handgun but the NJ FFL will have to ship it to a NYS FFL, who will have to have it made CoBis compliant, if it's a new gun. If it's used, then CoBis doesn't apply.
The cost of having an NYS FFL handle to transaction, plus the cost of the CoBis compliance could easily add $100 to the cost of that gun. Consequently, if it's new, you're probably going to be better off buying it from a NYS dealer.
PM me, if you have any sensitive questions.
Gary

·
Sharp Shooter!
494 Posts
65Gunz said:

I'm originally from PA and purchased a pistol there at a very good price. I knew it would be transferred FFL to FFL but the price was great. Unfortunately I didn't know about the this COBUS thing. I'm not sure how NJ is on this issue. In total I had to have the have the dealer do the spent shell casing thing so the total cost me $150(which included the transfer fee). So whatever savings I got was negated by the extra fees. Also with the Nassau County license you would also need to pick up a purchase document before you pick up the pistol at your local FFL.

·
Sharp Shooter!
494 Posts
65Gunz said:

I'm originally from PA and purchased a pistol there at a very good price. I knew it would be transferred FFL to FFL but the price was great. Unfortunately I didn't know about the this COBUS thing. I'm not sure how NJ is on this issue. In total I had to have the have the dealer do the spent shell casing thing so the total cost me $150(which included the transfer fee). So whatever savings I got was negated by the extra fees. Also with the Nassau County license you would also need to pick up a purchase document before you pick up the pistol at your local FFL.

·
Registered
474 Posts
MRR said:
On the noseee!

·
Registered
474 Posts
MRR said:
On the noseee!

·
Banned
2,143 Posts
David Li said:
I'm not sure about pistols but I couldn't even buy ammo in NJ with my Suffolk pistol license.
You can't get any decent ammo in NJ anyway. From what I understand FMJ is just about all the law allows. No hollow points, no nothing.

·
Banned
2,143 Posts
David Li said:
I'm not sure about pistols but I couldn't even buy ammo in NJ with my Suffolk pistol license.
You can't get any decent ammo in NJ anyway. From what I understand FMJ is just about all the law allows. No hollow points, no nothing.

·
Registered
548 Posts
dv0042 said:
That's what I thought too. I walked into Effinger near Warren, NJ. They had Speer Gold Dot in 380ACP. Was told nope, your NY permit is not accepted.

·
Registered
548 Posts
dv0042 said:
That's what I thought too. I walked into Effinger near Warren, NJ. They had Speer Gold Dot in 380ACP. Was told nope, your NY permit is not accepted.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.