Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Banned
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can anyone help to identify what kind of bug this is? My wicker furniture on my stoop is full of these things. They crawl in and out of the twisted wicker. I thought they were ticks, but they have 6 legs, instead of the 8 that I see ticks have. I am afraid to let my dog lay on the cushions now.

Attachments

·
Registered
626 Posts
Can't identify the bug but I'd suggest using a soapy water mix to try and kill them. The soapy water works very well on bees, hornets, and wasps. Never tried it against crawling insects but you mention you have a dog and that's what drew me to alternatives to poison.

·
Registered
10,011 Posts
If not ticks, baby roaches?

·
Premium Member
657 Posts
[sup]Get some dogs flea and tick shampoo and mix it in a sprayer with water 4 to 1, spray the crap out of the wicker and the porch. let everything dry and as Destro said use Permethrin. The shampoo is safe for the kids and pets, it wouldn't hurt to add some Miracle Grow to the mix and spray the plants and lawn. You have a tick infestation. [/sup]

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
ticks have 6 legs in the larval stage when they are smaller.

Nuke it with permethrin 10%-25% (lasts for 2 weeks, safe for humans and dogs, can buy online)

Here's the bigger version of your image, with details that show scale.
Those are WAY too big to be deer tick larvae.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Collect some specimens in a small vial or pill bottle filled with rubbing alcohol and take to the County Cooperative Extension service. They will ID them and suggest a control method.

Never take pesticide advice from amateurs! And certainly not from folks on a BB like this.

·
Zombtac Operator
12,183 Posts
Here's the bigger version of your image, with details that show scale.
Those are WAY too big to be deer tick larvae.

Agreed. It's likely an aphid. I don't do wicker so I have no idea of how fine a weave that was, but sure, judging by the full grown tick, one could get a sense of how small larval stage ticks are, though they do have 6 legs.

Permethrin works on all of them.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts