Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Air Energy 100,000 BTU Pool Heat Pump (XE-2550-TI) that has recently stopped working. It trips the breaker about 5 seconds after it starts. I tried multiple starts, but it consistently trips the breaker. I changed out the breaker with a new one, but it still trips. The unit was installed in 2004.

To the electricians on this site - any ideas? I'm hoping its an inexpensive component and not the compressor itself.

Thanks for any help you can offer!

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would start at the panel where the wires terminate on the breaker. Check to see if you have a dead short to ground. Then move on to disconnecting the unit, check again. Process of elimination
Already checked - even replaced the 40A breaker in the pool sub-panel with a new one. The breaker doesn't trip until the unit turns on. After the unit runs for approx 5 seconds, the breaker trips. The unit does not indicate any error codes on its control panel. If I turn the unit off from its Control Panel, the breaker on the sub-panel does not trip.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I know, but I was hoping that experienced electricians with these types of units could advise me if it is a major repair, or possibly an inexpensive component like a capacitor, simply based on my description of the problem. Compressors run $1000! for the part only!

·
Banned
3,887 Posts

·
Banned
3,887 Posts
Everybody deserves a day off there's always tomorrow.

·
Now an Ex NYer
24,979 Posts
I have half a buzz on and fish to clean but it your close I can stop by. Pm me your town
Now THERE'S a good way to go look at an electrical problem!

Reactions: Destro and Fastphil

·
Now an Ex NYer
24,979 Posts
Just breaking your shoes there Phil...

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
On the unit, it states that the minimum circuit protection is 39A, and the maximum circuit protection is 50A. I have a 40A breaker installed. I was thinking about switching to a 50A breaker to see if that will work, thinking along the lines that the old unit may need a little more juice to get going maybe due to dirty contacts.

What do you think? Should I try a 50A breaker?

·
Banned
5,971 Posts
What size wire is it and how long is the run?
^ this the wire has to be sized at least large enough to handle a breaker . If the compressor contactor is worn or pitted it should be replaced to help extend the life of the compressor . If it worked for 5 years a larger breaker isn't your problem or solution

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.