Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
SASI Firearms Chairman, LISAPA Training Committee
6,448 Posts
No big deal, re the NY case. The Biden administration already filed an amicus, against the petitioners. They'll get all of 15 minutes and they're not going to say anything they haven't already said.
Gary

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
Trying to understand why the Armed Scholar is saying this is a good thing for the Petitioners in NYSRPA v Cortlet. Is his point that the fact that they are letting the Biden Administration speak means that it is likely they will rule in favor of Petitioners?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Trying to understand why the Armed Scholar is saying this is a good thing for the Petitioners in NYSRPA v Cortlet. Is his point that the fact that they are letting the Biden Administration speak means that it is likely they will rule in favor of Petitioners?
His video is a bit confusing, I would instantly think it would lean the opposite way since this administration is ridiculously progressive in some of the worst ways. To think their involvement in a 2A case like this would benefit us would be surprising especially seeing how Armed Scholar himself believes it can change laws nation wide, with states who have the same permitting scheme as NY.
I think as things have gotten progressively worse in terms of crime and seeing how many illegal guns are on the streets right now the atmosphere for letting law abiding citizens arm and protect them selves is kind of set. Some of the most Liberal people I have known that have left NY in the last 5 years have moved to states and almost immediately got into Gun safety concealed carry and home defense. But we will have to just wait and see i guess..

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
I was thinking that the conservative justices could be thinking that giving the Biden administration the opportunity to speak will give the impression that their view was considered prior to rendering a pro 2A decision.

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
The administration gets 15 minutes to argue a case against changing NYS law. No major impact in my opinion.

It boggles my mind that any rational person can believe your 2nd Amendment right to bear arms ends at your front door or requires you to show evidence of being in unique danger. A majority of states recognize these arguments are ludicrous and I'd be extremely disappointed if the SC upholds the NYS licensing scheme.

·
Sifting Through the Ruins
8,002 Posts
Its for intimidation purposes. You uphold the 2A and we'll pack the court and render you impotent.

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
Paul,

Yes, 42 States recognize the shall issue scheme so I don’t understand why so many folks are freaking out about the remaining 8 states becoming shall issue states. It is not a new thing and the other 42 states seem to be doing fine. You still have to pass a background check and I am sure NY will require a safety class.

Also the idea that everyone will be carrying is also not based in reality. I believe the State with the highest number of CCW permits is about 15% of the population and just because you have a CCW does not mean you carry. Long way of saying that if the Supreme Court rules as we hope none of the remaining 8 states will become the Wild West. Anti 2A individuals are scaring people by saying that if the Court rules in petitioners’ favor States will be loaded with gun toting lunatics.

If you think about how long and expensive it is to get a permit in Nassau and Suffolk I doubt that people who do not have permits will decide to run out and get a CCW.

I wish that decisions were based on facts and not rhetoric. I also hope that the Court does not blow the one chance they have to make things right. The Court should also remember that NY will never do the right thing just like when NYC waited until the last minute and changed the rules in order to make the issue (NYC residents being able to take their firearms outside the City) moot.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was thinking that the conservative justices could be thinking that giving the Biden administration the opportunity to speak will give the impression that their view was considered prior to rendering a pro 2A decision.
When you put it in that perspective it actually makes a great deal of sense.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Paul,

Yes, 42 States recognize the shall issue scheme so I don’t understand why so many folks are freaking out about the remaining 8 states becoming shall issue states. It is not a new thing and the other 42 states seem to be doing fine. You still have to pass a background check and I am sure NY will require a safety class.

Also the idea that everyone will be carrying is also not based in reality. I believe the State with the highest number of CCW permits is about 15% of the population and just because you have a CCW does not mean you carry. Long way of saying that if the Supreme Court rules as we hope none of the remaining 8 states will become the Wild West. Anti 2A individuals are scaring people by saying that if the Court rules in petitioners’ favor States will be loaded with gun toting lunatics.

If you think about how long and expensive it is to get a permit in Nassau and Suffolk I doubt that people who do not have permits will decide to run out and get a CCW.

I wish that decisions were based on facts and not rhetoric. I also hope that the Court does not blow the one chance they have to make things right. The Court should also remember that NY will never do the right thing just like when NYC waited until the last minute and changed the rules in order to make the issue (NYC residents being able to take their firearms outside the City) moot.
I am in the process now of applying for my Nassau county pistol permit. the licensing dept. made it seem very easy how long does the process actually take?

·
SASI Firearms Chairman, LISAPA Training Committee
6,448 Posts
The federal government, in the form of the Biden admin, is claiming a "vested interest" in this case, since the Biden admin supports the NY position and there is federal law, on the subject. As such, the Biden admin has asked to be heard. Depending on the ruling of SCOTUS, it could impact federal gun control laws, not just NY's or other states' licensing laws but, for the moment, that's only my speculation. We won't really know what's going to be affected, until the ruling is published.
Gary

·
Registered
11,555 Posts
The Biden Administration will explain that the Petitioner has been granted a concealed carry license. New York offers concealed carry or premises licenses. The strict restrictions are administrative only. You can not be arrested for carrying out of restrictions. It’s probably going to be a narrow decision.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The Biden Administration will explain that the Petitioner has been granted a concealed carry license. New York offers concealed carry or premises licenses. The strict restrictions are administrative only. You can not be arrested for carrying out of restrictions. It’s probably going to be a narrow decision.
Yes, that is true, but once you break that administrative restriction, you then would loose your permit and be barred from owning a handgun in NYS indefinitely.

·
Premium Member
2,378 Posts
Per the Safe act, if your pistol license is revoked or suspended( not sure of wording on suspension) your long guns are also taken so basically your second amendment rights have been removed. By criminals.

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
Having your license revoked follows you for the rest of your life. Many applications for state or federal jobs or licenses ask if you’ve every had a license revoked. Answering yes now puts you in a position to have to explain why you violated the restrictions and becomes a possible roadblock to getting a job or license in the future. Don’t take they fact that’s they are administrative restrictions lightly.

Reactions: Gary_Hungerford
1 - 18 of 18 Posts