Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
My car needed an IAC sensor. Go to Advance Auto. $120. I buy it, as I needed it. Look it up on Rock Auto.com; $30 !!! I went back to Advance Auto, and returned it. Got my money back.

Now my bike needs a battery. $110 locally at Cycle Gear in Hicksville. I walked out, and I'm glad I did. $35 online, no tax !

I try to support these local businesses, but I'm not getting ripped of any more. It's ridiculous.

·
Grand Poobah
21,090 Posts
My car needed an IAC sensor. Go to Advance Auto. $120. I buy it, as I needed it. Look it up on Rock Auto.com; $30 !!! I went back to Advance Auto, and returned it. Got my money back.

Now my bike needs a battery. $110 locally at Cycle Gear in Hicksville. I walked out, and I'm glad I did. $35 online, no tax !

I try to support these local businesses, but I'm not getting ripped of any more. It's ridiculous.
Same parts?
Same manufacturer?
Especially the battery seems like a huge difference.What about shipping with the battery?

·
Registered
342 Posts
Something like IAC I would avoid buying an off brand however many times that's all you can find in the local chain stores. And the local stores typically have the off brands, or their own house brand(which is often the same cheap chinese crap) much more expensive than a name brand online. I've learned my lesson with too many off brand IAC, TPS, etc dead out of the box over the years.

·
Premium Member
5,356 Posts
Being an aircraft mechanic, I try to do most of my own work on my cars and motorcycles.

Especially with bike parts I try to buy parts online unless I need them quickly. Usually it's anywhere between a third to half the cost as compared to local.

I've been getting motorcycle batteries online for the past decade at about a third the cost locally including shipping although it's been a couple years now. The batteries I've purchased have been good for 5 years.

Paul

Same parts?
Same manufacturer?
Especially the battery seems like a huge difference.What about shipping with the battery?

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
It's tough to locate "hard to find " parts anywhere on the Island. When looking for parts for my Nissan Z, I found them at a place in he Midwest. (The name escapes me) The parts manager said that the dealers order parts from him all the time.

To satisfy my curiosity, I called The Nissan Dealer in Smithtown, inquiring about the same part. He put me on hold, and when returning, quoted me a price 3x what I ordered from the Midwestern guy. When I told him I found it much cheaper over the Internet, he mumbled something about having to order it from Japan. What kind of BS is that. He probably called the same guy I did, and jacked up the price.

·
Registered
9,468 Posts
Same parts?
Same manufacturer?
Rock Auto sells several brands for the same item usually allowing you to choose which price point you need to be in. And yes NAME brands. Unlike local chain car parts stores who sell house brands made by the lowest cost manufacturer. Several times I have gotten used parts in boxes , they don't even check at the local chain store.
Shipping even on batteries more than compensates the price savings. Rock Auto allows you to combine shipping warehouses to save on shipping.

·
Grand Poobah
21,090 Posts
Rock Auto sells several brands for the same item usually allowing you to choose which price point you need to be in. And yes NAME brands. Unlike local chain car parts stores who sell house brands made by the lowest cost manufacturer. Several times I have gotten used parts in boxes , they don't even check at the local chain store.
Shipping even on batteries more than compensates the price savings. Rock Auto allows you to combine shipping warehouses to save on shipping.
That's an amazing price differential.
That's why I asked the op if the parts were the same manufacturer.
$120 versus $20
$110 versus $35.
I wanted to know if they were exactly the same or different manufacturers.

Costs to do business in this area is astronomical.
Rents are too high. Insurance, electric, labor,taxes, all higher than in most other states.
Not saying that triple the price is right but those things do add up and the companies have to make enough to pay their huge expenses.
Again, not justifying it. But that's part of it.

I'm more curious than anything else if it's the exact same parts the OP got.

·
Registered
9,468 Posts
$120 versus $20
$110 versus $35.

Rents are too high. Insurance, electric, labor,taxes, all higher than in most other states.
Not saying that triple the price is right but those things do add up and the companies have to make enough to pay their huge expenses.

The numbers he referenced seem a bit exaggerated, a recent Rock Auto purchase on brake pads and rotors AC Delco parts vs a local parts place were more along the line of a 38 percent savings for my Full Size GM SUV. Had I gone a non OEM brand savings would have been closer to 44 percent vs a local generic store brand. Rock Auto has bottom tier parts lines as well as premium. It varies both in quality as well as pricing.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Im sure you know that the AC Delco brake pads aren't the brand that came on your SUV from the factory. GM uses Akebono for factory brake parts. Delco is one step down from OEM and theres a cheaper set under them. Not sure who makes those.

·
Premium Member
4,060 Posts
I do most of the work on my familys cars. recently i found online to be cheaper as well. most annoying thing about shopping locally is that nobody has the brands i want in stock and has to order it and often its more expensive than just ordering it online.

·
Registered
11,590 Posts
$120 versus $20
$110 versus $35.

I just got OEM parts from Rockauto... for about half what anyone local wanted. I always check local - but then compare to Rockauto and ebay. (I find a lot of best prices there)

Reactions: O1SalsaX

·
Premium Member
2,628 Posts
3yrs ago I need a new fan motor for my jeep. All the local stores told me 179 and it came complete with fan and housing. Didn't need all that just the motor. Call some junk yards and they told me 70. Looked on rock and got just the motor for 35. 10 min swap and all good.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
If you're ordering from Rock Auto, do some googling for a 5% off coupon code. There is ALWAYS an active one.

I do order a bunch from Rock, but they're not always the best deal. I get brake rotors locally. Shipping just doesn't make it worthwhile to order online.
Other good sources online though are Amazon and eBay. You really need to compare among all three before ordering something.

·
INFIDEL
7,237 Posts
Thanks, going to give them a try, Autozone guarantees their parts for life of the vehicle, I haven't purchased break pads in 8 years,just return the old ones and walk out with new...

·
Registered
9,468 Posts
Im sure you know that the AC Delco brake pads aren't the brand that came on your SUV from the factory. GM uses Akebono for factory brake parts. Delco is one step down from OEM and theres a cheaper set under them. Not sure who makes those.
Took off the factory ones and they were AC/Delco and I matched them. Vehicle was purchased new from dealer with three miles.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Local stores have to make a living to pay overhead, pay employees, feed their children, etc. Just like a LGS.

I goto the local autostore (not autozone, etc) if I can't wait on something but when I do, i can find the cheaper stuff like remanufactured alternators, starters, etc. All depending on what I'm in the mood for.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.