Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've finally come up with a good build plan for my AR. I'm buying most of the components online, I do want to start trying to buy some components locally. Besides the lower (which will be an LRB), which stores keep a good stock of AR components (barrels, gas blocks, compensators, etc)

im specifically interested in getting the barrel locally..

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
If you buy it locally your gonna pay alot more then you would online. You can actually buy entire kits online alot cheaper then buyin piece by piece unless your customizing 100% of it. If you still want to proceed with it try calling up the local gunshops 1 by 1 looking for parts you want.

·
The Artist formally known as AR_Guy
6,913 Posts
Most don't have the parts you want in stock and everything I have seen is overpriced. And I would really recommend ordering you barrel online. What barrel are you looking for?

·
Registered
533 Posts
As posted above, I don't know of any place on the island that would keep build parts in stock. They would be able to "order" the parts for you, and you would pay alot more. IF you are going to build the AR from scratch, you are going to need so extra tools(you probably know this). There are some shops that would sell you an overpriced complete upper, but then all you need to do is snap the upper and lower together and your done! - But there's no fun in that ;).

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lol. Yea I've bought 2 completed uppers online, one from BCM and the other from RifleGear. Yea snapping it together is no fun, I really wanted to scratch build this one. I was getting the whole "support local gun shops" feeling.. but I guess there are better ways to do so..

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
well you could of supported them by buying a completed ar15 and then dissassemblyin it the reassemblying it. But you would still be paying well above 1100 for a complete compared to 6-700 for entire project.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I think South Shore Sportsmen keeps some AR15 parts on hand, DPMS I think.

A barrel will be pretty hard to come by though, unless someone is selling one used locally. Your best bet would be on-line or check the Equipment Exchange on ARFCOM.

·
Premium Member
6,119 Posts
TactiDork said:
Lol. Yea I've bought 2 completed uppers online, one from BCM and the other from RifleGear. Yea snapping it together is no fun, I really wanted to scratch build this one. I was getting the whole "support local gun shops" feeling.. but I guess there are better ways to do so..
Maybe if vendors at the local guns hows would "support the local shooter" I'd feel better about going to one. I acutely understand operating expenses, overhead and making a living in NY but still...

On line is the way to go. Get exactly what you need for a decent price.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.