Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can i buy handgun ammo without my license (don't have it yet)? If not in person, can I order ammo online or do I need some sort of proof that i am legally allowed to own it?

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Yes, you can buy ammo without your pistol license.  Chances are, only Walmart would ask to see it, then tell them you own a carbine  :)  Some online sites might request a copy of your drivers license to verify your age and address.

·
Uh-oh...
12,524 Posts
The only place I can think of that requires a handgun license is Wally World. Some mail order places ask for a copy of a drivers license, but other than that, you are GTG.

·
Banned
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Banzai said:
Dick's might hassle you, too. They didn't choose that name for nothing. But you could always argue it's for a carbine for which you don't need a pistol license.
lol NICE!

All these rumors of low supplies etc... i know what i am buying once the license comes in, so I figure if i see a good deal now i should probably order some.

·
Sharp Shooter!
3,948 Posts
Buying at Dick's has been hit or miss for me. I did get asked for the permit in Walmart while upstate in Binghamton, go figure :-/

·
Assault is a behavior; Not a weapon.
12,115 Posts
eastplayer87 said:
Wally world will not sell pistol ammo regardless of what its for without a pistol license.
That's not true. I routinely buy 9mm and .45 cal in Wally World. While I do have the license, I just say it's for a carbine rifle. They tap a key on the computerized register and continue the sale.

·
Premium Member
948 Posts
T.Webb said:
That's not true. I routinely buy 9mm and .45 cal in Wally World. While I do have the license, I just say it's for a carbine rifle. They tap a key on the computerized register and continue the sale.
I've gotten into an "alomst arguement" at the Wakmart in Middle Island about that and the guy would not budge.

·
Premium Member
5,881 Posts
Stephen said:
Bought 9mm at Walmart last weekend. Had to show my pistol license and had to be walked over to another register by the sales person.
Same here, at the Islandia store. The guy didn't ask what it was for, just asked to see my license. I was also "proofed" at Dick's on Saturday.

·
Older Budweiser
2,222 Posts
I was asked to produce DOB which I was pissed about, then asked to produce drivers licence AND sign pin pad to purchase BB's at Sports Authority in Riverhead. needless to say I did not do it and walked out NEVER to return. That store sucks anyway.

·
SUPER STAR
5,508 Posts
T.Webb said:
I buy .45 from Wally World, they have the best price. When they ask for my license, I am fine with showing it to them. Why dont you just show them the license? Why make any kind of issue out of it?

Also, I havent seen you down by Mike's in quite sometime. You still stop by regularly? I usually go by on Thursday afternoons now.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.