Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/brooklyn/brooklyn-teen-catches-1-058-pound-blue-marlin-hawaii-article-1.2124216

A 16-year-old Brooklyn boy fishing off the coast of Hawaii hauled in an epic catch: a 1,058-pound blue marlin.
Kai Rizzuto, of Fort Greene, landed the whale-sized fish after a ferocious 30-minute battle.
"It's a catch of a lifetime!" Kai told the Daily News.
The 11-foot marlin proved no match for the 6-foot, 200-pound teen: It was already dead by the time he reeled it in.
Kai's haul was 502 pounds shy of the largest marlin ever caught, according to Marlin Magazine.
The junior at The Beacon School in Manhattan has been fishing since he was a toddler - but his previous biggest catch was only 55 pounds.
"I've never felt anything close to that amount of force," he said. "There's nothing I can compare it too."
The monstrous marlin, after it was brought to shore, broke the first scale it was placed on.

·
Now an Ex NYer
24,871 Posts
Nice!

·
Assault is a behavior; Not a weapon.
12,115 Posts
Good for him. Aside from a big fish, he caught a memory to last a lifetime.

·
INFIDEL
7,262 Posts
Had to bust some caps in it to get it back to Brooklyn....

·
Registered
7,904 Posts
The elusive Blue Marlin, good for him.
A couple years ago I did a Marlin charter in Kona, skunked, didn't even see a fish. Same thing Two years ago in Lahaina Maui, oh well.
Something I found interesting in Kona, we were just leaving the harbor and they were putting the spread in the water. Right outside the inlet the depth drops to 5000'! The big boys can be caught a 1/4 from the beach. A far cry from LI blue water fishermen who need to run 40+ miles to the Hudson Canyon for a chance at blue water pelagics.

·
Premium Member
4,438 Posts
The size is impressive, but the fact he only fought it for a half hour is almost mind boggling to me.

Reactions: FULL METAL JACKET

·
Registered
7,904 Posts
The size is impressive, but the fact he only fought it for a half hour is almost mind boggling to me.
The first thing that came to mind was the fish was gut hooked. They usually don't fight as hard or as long and don't survive if released. They said the fish couldn't be released but they often say that because the boats sell the fish they catch for food and a monster like that on the dock is the best advertising for the boat. The fish was also caught with an artificial and the don't often swallow them deep.

·
Premium Member
3,195 Posts
The fish heard he was from Brooklyn and decided to give up.

Reactions: trapshooterbob
1 - 15 of 15 Posts