Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
I just spoke to a friend of mine that was there this week and he said they were screaming at some people. Making a point, keeping the place safe, doing whatever, no need to tear someone a new butt doing it. I doubt I'll ever go there.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
I gave it a try this past week and it didn't seem as bad as people say it was. Follow the rules, and you won't get yelled at. I knew what to expect and didn't want to test the ROs. I did hear that a guy named mike loves to throw people out LoL

·
Banned
1,003 Posts
I was there a few weeks ago and a loud mouth muzzled the entire line. When he was yelled at (and rightly so), he became indignant instead of apologizing or accepting that he made a very large mistake. The guy was a tool screaming that he demanded to be spoken to like a gentleman, when he himself was no gentleman.

I'll take the rules enforcement routine that comes with safety anytime...

Sent from my LG G3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I gave it a try this past week and it didn't seem as bad as people say it was. Follow the rules, and you won't get yelled at. I knew what to expect and didn't want to test the ROs. I did hear that a guy named mike loves to throw people out LoL
Yeah, I read the rules like 5 times before going in. They were so friendly and eager to help. The only person I saw getting pissed off was some Iraqi Vet. The guy in between us had a weird looking 22 pistol. Shells were spitting out the side all over him. But didn't hear anyone get yelled at for anything. Only thing I could see is on the rifle side there was a really old RO, I could picture him yelling at some people once in a while.

·
Older Budweiser
2,212 Posts
Yeah I think that's a little silly. Do you know why they enforce that?
So they can see everyone on the line, one person standing blocks a lot of points from the RO point of view. Also, many times people point the gun upwards while loading it in the standing position.

It's all done for safety, which to me is the most important thing on any range.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Yeaa that real old guy was surprisingly nice as hell to us! I think his name was Paul. I also liked the fact that they had a crap ton of sand bags for the shooters. Biggest down fall is the cease fires every 15 mins and how it took almost 15mins for the ROs to call a hot line again. But overall, it wasn't too bad. Happy staff, clean environment, and beautiful target stands with BACKBOARDS!!! +1

·
Premium Member
3,437 Posts
So they can see everyone on the line, one person standing blocks a lot of points from the RO point of view. Also, many times people point the gun upwards while loading it in the standing position.

It's all done for safety, which to me is the most important thing on any range.
I live dangerously! I shoot the way I pee! With 2 hands & at the toilet!!!!

& standing up. And furthermore guns are less dangerous than almost all the stuff I use at work everyday. If people just got their heads screwed on straight you guys could be treated like adults. When I go shoot I go to the range all by myself & am responsible for the whole place during my stay. Now I am a self professed idiot and guess what! I still manage to run a safe shooting session EVERYTIME! That rule at Bhaven is a joke! If you want, have a beginners area where people go to get started but if you are going to trust me to own and operate a gun then maybe you could see fit to let stand!!! I'm sick of that cr*p. Safety safety safety safety. I get it! But how about a bit of balance.......like standing on one foot!
And after that little rant I'll have you know that I just got home from shootin steel this afternoon & took a total of 20 shots offhand for the whole day

·
Registered
580 Posts
I was there today from 12 to 2:30 , at hundred yard post 10 , seen them help about 3 newbie - which they do often. Phil was setting up to help one of the newbies just as they were calling it , ( not the the warning ) , he look over at the table next to the newbie told him go get a target that was in front of the benches. So newbie walk across the bench , the other ranger officer seen it , didn't yell but did telsl the kid the line was still open get back. Phill told the other range officer I told him it was good to , he then apologized to the newbie. After that they help the newbie siting in his gun. Later some other newbies showed up and racked their rifles with bolts in , Phil didn't yell but told them how and where to open those bolts. I said this more then once on this site , I like Brookhaven and do recommended to newbies because if you tell them you are new ( or they see it ) they will go out of there way to help you. I do go to Calverton when I want to play with my AK , AR , mini 14 ect..

·
Premium Member
1,684 Posts
Yeah, I read the rules like 5 times before going in. They were so friendly and eager to help. The only person I saw getting pissed off was some Iraqi Vet. The guy in between us had a weird looking 22 pistol. Shells were spitting out the side all over him. But didn't hear anyone get yelled at for anything. Only thing I could see is on the rifle side there was a really old RO, I could picture him yelling at some people once in a while.
If you were the guy shooting the Glock 19, than I was the guy getting hit with the brass from the Ruger MKII... I wasn't pissed, it was just throwing me off since every case hit me in the head...

·
Premium Member
1,684 Posts
I live dangerously! I shoot the way I pee! With 2 hands & at the toilet!!!!

& standing up. And furthermore guns are less dangerous than almost all the stuff I use at work everyday. If people just got their heads screwed on straight you guys could be treated like adults. When I go shoot I go to the range all by myself & am responsible for the whole place during my stay. Now I am a self professed idiot and guess what! I still manage to run a safe shooting session EVERYTIME! That rule at Bhaven is a joke! If you want, have a beginners area where people go to get started but if you are going to trust me to own and operate a gun then maybe you could see fit to let stand!!! I'm sick of that cr*p. Safety safety safety safety. I get it! But how about a bit of balance.......like standing on one foot!
And after that little rant I'll have you know that I just got home from shootin steel this afternoon & took a total of 20 shots offhand for the whole day
You alright John? lol

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.