Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
38,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
NEW CASTLE, Pa. - A 50-foot-long bridge in western Pennsylvania has been stolen, and its owners say they're baffled by the crime and have no idea who took it.

New Castle Development spokesman Gary Bruce said Friday that he "couldn't believe it when they told me it was gone."

A state police report says the 20-foot-wide span in North Beaver Township went missing between Sept. 27 and Wednesday.

The bridge was made out of corrugated steel and valued at about $100,000. Thieves used a blowtorch to cut it apart, presumably to sell it for scrap metal.

The bridge was used occasionally as a back entrance to the company property. It's in the woods along a railroad line about 60 miles north of Pittsburgh.

Bruce says he doubts the company can replace the bridge.

·
Sharp Shooter!
434 Posts
Is there no end to the lengths criminals will go?  I say NY should ban all blow torches in anticipation of the rash bridge thefts.

·
Registered
5,575 Posts
Morally wrong, but absolutely outstanding from the operational point of view.

I would shake the thieves' hands before slapping the cuffs on them were I the arresting officer.

It must have been employees (possibly even owners) to have pulled it off without getting caught.

·
Registered
15,416 Posts
Hard times demand innovation....especially for thieves! :-/

·
Sharp Shooter!
446 Posts
What I find odd is that they where smart enough to pull the job off. But a bridge is the best thing they can come up with to steal.

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
Would you like to buy a bridge?

·
Now an Ex NYer
24,861 Posts
Guys I know work at Kings Park and Pilgrim. They catch mutts there all the time trying to cut out some of the bronze and copper from whats left of those complexes.

·
Registered
11,563 Posts
NRATC53 said:
Guys I know work at Kings Park and Pilgrim. They catch mutts there all the time trying to cut out some of the bronze and copper from whats left of those complexes.
Copper being near $3/pound for scrap it's understandable... Steel however only gets around $0.10/pound.... that $100,000.00 bridge probably only got $1,500 as scrap...

·
Now an Ex NYer
24,861 Posts
Parashooter said:
Copper being near $3/pound for scrap it's understandable... Steel however only gets around $0.10/pound.... that $100,000.00 bridge probably only got $1,500 as scrap...
Still nnot worth exploding in flames when you cut a hot cable, or being cooked when you cut through a steam line

·
Premium Member
2,411 Posts
Railroad tracks were torn up out west, and copper signaling cable & HV power cables stolen much closer for the scrap value... It's getting desparate out there..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts