Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Just when I think I've seen it all, something more bazar occurs - Last Saturday while surfing the internet I discovered a great website, a mom and pop company in South Carolina (called "Carolina Brass") that sells AAC 300 BLK brass, cleaned and deprimed, so I decided to order 100 pieces. Well apparently it was delivered to the wrong address down the block from my house. (Carolina Brass mistakenly put the wrong address on the shipping label, which is fine, they happen to provide great customer service and helped rectify the situation). Apparently my neighbor (whom I do not know) decides to open the box instead of returning it to the post office (the box has my name on it with his or her address and a clear return address on it). After opening the box and seeing 100 empty 300 BLK brass shells he/she decides to call the police. Two police officers knocked on my door last night at 11:30 PM inquiring my identity and explained to me the situation. (they were very nice and understanding about it). The officers explained to me my neighbor's concern that I may be some sort of "militia".... I swear I can't make this [email protected]#t up!!! They then advised me that I can come down to the prescient to pick my package the following day. (which by the way the officer ended up dropping it off at my doorstep this morning, that was very nice of him, I wish I would have gotten his name to thank him for that). I guess I shouldn't be too surprised living in NY I have neighbors that would do that. BTW the brass was in great condition, I haven't loaded it yet but it looks really nice. I highly recommend.

·
Clinger
4,810 Posts
I might call the postal police or at least contact the Postmaster and make a complaint on that "concerned neighbor" that opens packages clearly not intended for him and let him explain your concern that he might be part of an organized mail theft ring.

·
Clinger
4,810 Posts
18 U.S.C. §1702. Obstruction of correspondence
Whoever takes any letter, postal card, or package out of any post office or any authorized depository for mail matter, or from any letter or mail carrier, or which has been in any post office or authorized depository, or in the custody of any letter or mail carrier, before it has been delivered to the person to whom it was directed, with design to obstruct the correspondence, or to pry into the business or secrets of another, or opens, secretes, embezzles, or destroys the same, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than five years, or both.

·
Just zis guy, you know?
2,442 Posts
i always thought it was illegal to open other peoples mail.
It's a felony to tamper with mail in possession of the USPS (including mail in a mailbox you do not own). There is no felony for opening mail which has been delivered to you. Once the package is in your possession you are not bound by law to keep it closed as far as I can tell.

Furthermore, and unrelated, since UPS/Fedex are not the USPS, they do not fall under the jurisdiction of this law (although it is still illegal to steal off a UPS truck).

Reactions: nedbal and rlitman

·
Clinger
4,810 Posts
It's a felony to tamper with mail in possession of the USPS (including mail in a mailbox you do not own). There is no felony for opening mail which has been delivered to you. Once the package is in your possession you are not bound by law to keep it closed as far as I can tell.

Furthermore, and unrelated, since UPS/Fedex are not the USPS, they do not fall under the jurisdiction of this law (although it is still illegal to steal off a UPS truck).
The OP was not clear on the method of delivery.... some packages I get are fed ex or ups that go to the local PO and the mail man delivers it.... any way my last post #14 stands.

·
Just zis guy, you know?
2,442 Posts
The OP was not clear on the method of delivery.... some packages I get are fed ex or ups that go to the local PO and the mail man delivers it.... any way my last post #14 stands.
Your post 11 is what I'm using as my source as well. They did not interrupt the delivery of the mail. It was successfully delivered to the correct address on the box. It just happened to be a wrong address and he didn't live there.

I agree it's immoral and a crappy thing to do, just pointing out that it wasn't a felony.

Reactions: nedbal
1 - 20 of 93 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.