Long Island Shooters Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
LIRES1987 said:
Let's see here, maybe because they were throwing rocks and bottles at the National Guardsmen?
Yeah, that was the appropriate response, shoot and kill college kids for throwing rocks & bottles at the National Guard members who were advancing on them with bayonets affixed to their M1's.

BTW, only two of the four students shot and killed were actually participants in the protest, the other two were bystanders. One, William Schroeder, who was 390 feet away, was shot in the back.

·
Registered
15,416 Posts
And Kent State occured during a time when people were protesting a war on another continent - imagine if the upheaval is closer to home. Civil unrest and civil discourse are two different things. What will drive people from discourse to unrest? What stress do people have to be under before they go from words to rocks and bottles? Look back at our founders and what they went through before they had enough! Those that ignore history are doomed to repeat it.

·
Lousy Shot
16,248 Posts
Sparkz said:
Yeah, that was the appropriate response, shoot and kill college kids for throwing rocks & bottles at the National Guard members who were advancing on them with bayonets affixed to their M1's.

BTW, only two of the four students shot and killed were actually participants in the protest, the other two were bystanders. One, William Schroeder, who was 390 feet away, was shot in the back.
It was a klusterfuck, that's for sure. I don't think anyone can say, when ordered to, or under what circumstances today, soldiers would or would not fire upon citizens. Order has to be maintained, but tyranny must fail. Who makes the call?

One thing that's different. Back then, the "weekend warriors" were mostly draftees who may have done a few tours in Nam and were just sticking around for the monthly check. The all-volunteer soldier is a cut above. Same goes right up the chain of command. I think the asshole-index is much lower today. Until, of course, you get to the head asshole.

·
Registered
3 Posts
As a soldier I have to put in my 2 cents. In todays military soldiers are not taught to follow orders without question. They are actually encouraged to think about the leaglity and morality of what they are being told to do. This can sometimes be a PITA because soldiers are always questioning why they are doing things, but in the end it's probably good. Soldiers are also having to operate in an environment with severe rules of engagement which makes them think twice before pulling the trigger. Most soldiers I know also own guns and support the second ammendment. We swear to support and defend the constitution of the US and to obey the orders of the officers appointed over us. Now I think that was written in order of priority, constitution first, orders second and any order to disarm the public would violate the constitution and would therefore be an illegal order. The soldier is duty bound to not follow illegal orders. I am not alone in this thinking among soldiers. I would dare say 80% of soldiers and Marines feel this way. (I pulled the 80% out of my butt, not a real statistic) If a situation like this developed I think it would be the beginning of a civil war and most of the military would desert and bring whatever equipment they could get their hands on with them. I know I would.

Now after saying that, I have no intention of registering my firearms (at least not all of them) even if it is mandated by the government. I doubt most of us would. If that ends up technically making me a criminal so be it, sometimes I speed too.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts