Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about a boat to keep in Port Washington -- primarily a fishing boat but possible I may do some cruising as well.

What would you get? I am thinking 27-30' length outboard, not sure if open cockpit or cabin is better. I am partial to Whaler and Grady White but open to suggestions.

·
Registered
10,011 Posts
That's pretty big for the harbors and sound.

A 20 footer seems more than enough.

·
Premium Member
1,614 Posts
The sound can get kicked up pretty good and if you want to cruise with th family, 27'-30' is far better.

Grady and Whaler are top shelf. And the amount of semi custom makers of center consoles is astounding and most of very high quality.

If you want to cruise and stay on the boat, a walk around cuddy provides protection from the weather while you are cruising. Get a generator with AC in the cabin if you can, you will not regret it.

If you want some thing bigger, PM me I have a 47' convertible for sale.

·
Registered
10,011 Posts
As any body of water check and watch the weather. Err on the side of caution.

For fishing smaller with lots of deck space is best. A center console or a CC with a small step down is a great fishing platform.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
There are some pretty nice Steiger Crafts lined up at the dealer on the north side of Sunrise Hwy in Islip, and some nice Parkers at the dealer in Oakdale.

·
Registered
10,011 Posts
Ditto on Parker.

Reactions: NYG60

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you want some thing bigger, PM me I have a 47' convertible for sale.
I've been on boats for 25 years but a 47 is a bit too much for me. 33 might be the biggest as I want to run a towable as well with the kids.

·
Premium Member
4,083 Posts
Boston whalers are great.

I would recommend Manhasset Bay Marina in Port Washington if you are looking for a place to keep the boat.

·
Registered
15,416 Posts
Shamrock

Reactions: Pat M

·
Registered
6,259 Posts
Thinking about a boat to keep in Port Washington -- primarily a fishing boat but possible I may do some cruising as well.

What would you get? I am thinking 27-30' length outboard, not sure if open cockpit or cabin is better. I am partial to Whaler and Grady White but open to suggestions.
Money....... how much you want to spend would help ? Primarily a fishing boat you don't want to much cabin you will spend your time outside. A walk around sounds perfect for you.

·
Registered
10,011 Posts
Kayaks for all!

·
Premium Member
4,083 Posts
i can sell you my 11ft boston whaler if you are interested.

could use a good cleaning, and repair, and lots of paint hehe

·
Premium Member
7,808 Posts
Ditto on Parker.
I've had 18' - 23's most of my adult life. If I ever get back into it, I want a 25' Parker or Steiger.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,904 Posts
I like Grady's. Had a 24' GW and I regret selling it. It was a walk around and I only got it. Because of my kids I needed a place to get them out of the sun. Should have got the center console and when I buy another it will be a CC. Lean, mean fishing machine.
My brother has a Whaler in Maui they're very nice but I still like GW. Pretty much six of one dozen thing I guess.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Should add the boat I have now is a 21' Whaler with twin cockpit and bow lounges. Great knock around boat esp since I have been keeping it in westhampton and it's perfect for the water there. It's my second one just like it and I've owned a Whaler since 97. But my thought is they are not as good as other makes once you get past 25'.

A lot of votes on Pursuit so I'm going to check that out.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts