Long Island Shooters Forum banner

Black Powder Revolver Starter Kit

2K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  M-1 Carbine 
#1 ·
Hello,

I've been looking at Cabela's website for a black powder revolver starter kit. I've read some good reviews on the Pietta Model 1851 Confederate Navy .44. Anybody have any experience with this model or recommend another?

Thanks again.

#3 ·
I never liked the old black powder revolvers until I tried my brother's 1858 revolver, that's when the bug bit me I now have 4 of the 1858 revolvers, after getting past all the loading etc they are fun to shoot as long as you have a NY pistol permit otherwise you can't own one and bullets, primers or powder in the house with them. Stupid law but hey this is NY land of the dumb laws.

Reactions: Mad Russian
#5 ·
I called out at Yaphank and asked if it was legal to own(before I had my permit) they told me yes so I ordered it, then I found out yes you can own it but you can't shoot it,WHAT are you kidding me, they left out that little detail.

#6 ·
a lot of people don't know that you can't have powder, bullets and primers or as they are called caps, if you asked Yaphank if you could shoot it at the range they would tell no, not without a permit.

#7 ·
What airbrush said. You can own it, but you can not own the components to make it work. They are fun. My father has one and it really is a good time shooting. I keep meaning to buy one but once I start building the funds, something else catches my eye.

#13 ·
No bullets! Your legal with only 2 out of the 3 components needed to make it a "deadly weapon". If you have all 3 in proximity of the pistol it must be on your license or you will now qualify as a homicidal maniac. If you want it now buy it now, all I needed to add mine to my license was to show up to the PLB with the pistol, my license and a $5 check. I had owned it for over 20 years prior to adding it to my license. Make sure you know the maker, the exact model and the serial # is easily visible

#11 ·
Yes. You still have to take it out there for them to read the serial number and add it to your license.

They had told me years ago that I could also just tell them to take it off my license if I did not intend to shoot it anymore.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.