Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my wife and I might start looking into buying some property out of state.

I just really am clueless as to where to start. I really dont have a specific state. But thinking PA or NH. Id like to be no more than 5 hours and even thats kind of pushing it.

I look on landwatch.com just to browse and keep finding more in NH in our price range. A lot of these are just properties and no structure though. Which is fine.

Does it pay to contact an agent in those states? I just think thats hard because it can be anywhere in the state within a 5 hour drive. So that might be a lot for an agent to cover.

Are sites like landwatch a good start. We probably wont get serious until the spring. But just want to start seeing whats out there.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just feel like zillow is going to be a lot of "neighborgood" homes. I havent checked but Im looking for a place in the woods,mountains etc. Just figured there were sites, agents that specialize in that.

·
Zombtac Operator
12,108 Posts
I just feel like zillow is going to be a lot of "neighborgood" homes. I havent checked but Im looking for a place in the woods,mountains etc. Just figured there were sites, agents that specialize in that.
There are. First, figure out the county/area, then find local real estate sites. In rural areas they will too sell acerage, farms and large properties and list them with pictures, maps, etc.

I know for instance many places up by me in the Catskills do this (including hunting cabins with land, vacant acerage, large properites and ranches).

I'd advise you to first settle on an area, visit it for a few days and you can google the local realtors and their properties.

Also check out land and farm (state by state searches):

http://www.landandfarm.com/

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
unfortunately, The best way is to go to those areas and look, very time consuming to say the least. Many places, property is for sale by just a sign on a piece of plywood by owner and do not even make it to a listing. In the area of PA I was in this weekend, you would see those signs. When I asked in a local store about them, many farmers sell off some property when they need money which usually becomes a good deal for the buyer.

another is having friends in the area.

without those 2 above, It becomes harder and I would have to say, a realtor could be an asset

·
Premium Member
7,783 Posts
Reactions: gettingfedup

·
Sharp Shooter!
3,914 Posts
I don't know how well it works out of state, but I used realtyusa.com for my search. It worked really awesome for me, actually a little too awesome at first. I set up a search within 6 counties upstate, and had an initial list of over500 properties of JUST land/acreage etc. I started to ask for detailed listings from the Realtor when I whittled it down to about 150 listings, then started visiting the listings when it got down to about 24. I have to say, that I enjoyed every single minute of it. Took 1 1/2 years to finally decide the final property to purchase.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yea. Im imagining its going to be time consuming. Im going to NH for labor day most likely. So at least i can maybe get a feel for the area.

Anyone have any reasons why one of those states may be better than the other? Again this is going to be our little getaway. So I want to be able to fish, shoot, ride quads hike etc.

·
Grand Poobah
21,090 Posts
First, figure out the county/area, then find local real estate sites.
I'd advise you to first settle on an area, visit it for a few days and you can google
This ^^^^
Figure out places that suit you.
Then google what you're looking for in that area. If it seems okay then go there for a weekend.
Then get started on your real search.
A mistake people make is to not fully check out the areas they buy in.

·
Banned
17,097 Posts
Are you looking for just a vacation place or a place to retire?

We originally found our land on Landwatch but it was also listed on many other sites with many different agents. You'll find that a lot as you start looking.

No matter what you want the place for make sure to check out the closest hospital, you might need it one day and some rural areas aren't up to the task of certain injuries or medical conditions.
Going and spending time at a place is important but before you spend your time use google. We checked out the local schools and looked at pictures of the sports teams. Dropped the little google street view man at places like gas stations and 7/11s.

Checked local arrests, found local papers (like our town crier) online and read past issues for a year or two prior. The list goes on but you get my point. Do as much from home as you can before hitting the road. There were several areas that looked good until we dug deeper and I'm happy we didn't waste time traveling to them.

·
Zombtac Operator
12,108 Posts
Yea. Im imagining its going to be time consuming. Im going to NH for labor day most likely. So at least i can maybe get a feel for the area.

Anyone have any reasons why one of those states may be better than the other? Again this is going to be our little getaway. So I want to be able to fish, shoot, ride quads hike etc.
Well for one no state tax in several states (FL, NV, TX, WY) and NH (though they collect tax on interest and divended income) if you do decide to make it a primary residence at some point.

Factor in things that matter to you like gun laws, local activities, hunting conditions, etc. Consider "touristy" areas vs. more private areas.
The landscape/hunting/activities can vary from county to county with the topography. Mountains, valleys, rivers, lakes. Remember NH covers a lot of areas.

Upstate we have a house on a mountain top with a private road, but there's a hospital 20 min away, nice supermarket in a nearby town and a Home Depot etc. 40 minutes away in Oneonta. So wherever you are consider the nearby amenities.

As for the actual property itself, consider if it has a spring (we have well water from an underground spring! it's awesome) if a well can easily be drilled, other utility access, delivery truck access (we use kerosone heat) whether you will be responsible to plow the road (in our case town only plows the first few 1000 feet, then our private road up the mountain needs to be privately contracted, you trade off easy access for privacy), the condition of any dirt or gravel road (we had to regrade), any other things featured on the property (stream, pond) the actual boundary lines, whether there is potential to be development next to you or is it landlocked by state or undeveloped property (very desirable).

Also consider the usage in terms of commute and maintenance. We looked at NH but settled on upstate NY and in the preban days it was great. It's till pretty cool with turkey, bear, bobcat and whitetail and locked in with 1000sa acres of inaccessible vacant woods. Skiing near by. Have my own private range, did mag dumps, plinked for hours. And only a few hours away at one point I was going up every weekend. One place in NH was 9 hours away, real nice, but it would be rough trekking up there off LI. If you plan on moving in the future it could offset that. But consider that many of these areas have harsh winters and not being there full time you have to winterize or have a plan to make sure it's looked after in some capacity (especially if it's a nice larger house).

Cloud Sky Mountain Tree Wood

Water Sky Plant Water resources Plant community

Cloud Sky Mountain Natural landscape Plant

Attachments

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks destro. Thats why I dont want ny. I have buddies who have great properties in ny. But are still subject to some ridiculous laws.

I figure the 5 hour ride cap is good enough for me to go up at least once a month. I limited my search on landwatch to certain areas in NH. If i do go up for labor day I might make a point to drive through some of the counties I looked at.

Im also an idiot when it comes to realizing just how big property is. Right now id like a minimum of 15 acres. Im guessing thatd be enough to do most of what I want. Or am I wrong. Is 15 enough for me to shoot on and ride atvs and what not.

I know there are normally trails up there which im fine with for atvs. Id love water on my property, but a lake within 5 to 10 minutes would suffice.

·
Zombtac Operator
12,108 Posts
Thanks destro. Thats why I dont want ny. I have buddies who have great properties in ny. But are still subject to some ridiculous laws.

I figure the 5 hour ride cap is good enough for me to go up at least once a month. I limited my search on landwatch to certain areas in NH. If i do go up for labor day I might make a point to drive through some of the counties I looked at.

Im also an idiot when it comes to realizing just how big property is. Right now id like a minimum of 15 acres. Im guessing thatd be enough to do most of what I want. Or am I wrong. Is 15 enough for me to shoot on and ride atvs and what not.

I know there are normally trails up there which im fine with for atvs. Id love water on my property, but a lake within 5 to 10 minutes would suffice.
15 acres is more than enough. You can plink on one acre if you have no neighbors. That's why being landlocked by vacant land or state land where no one will build down the line is very desirable. So it depends on the set up and particular location. Many homes are bordered by vast tracks of vacant land so even if you own a few acres you're gtg.

I didn't realize this was once a month place. That's infrequent. We have a large house with multiple structures (garages, sheds, poolhouse) and go many times a month sometimes for weeks and recently a bear tore into our bbq and part of the house. In the winter you really have to have someone plow or even shovel off a deck or roof to prevent cave ins. You never know what you'll find when you get up there, and in heavy winters and storms things happen. All things to consider.

Things we had happen:
1. bear dragging bbq
2. shed caving in during large snowfall
3. showed up one week and a window was broken
4. huge tree fell over private road (drive with chainsaw)
5. dead deer in covered pool
6. heater malfunctioned during winter and house was near freezing, pipes had to be heated

Now regarding NY properties, I know a lot of members have them. Sure a free state is great to permanently move to but NY is still not that bad for a vacation home, especially if you hunt and atv, and ski, etc. and want to do it every weekend.

NYS was no different in the preban days. It's still not that bad for a second place (of course as a primary I'd want a free state). You have to remember upstate counties are actually pro gun. My county has a 2A friendly judge and sheriff. They issue open carry no restrictions. We still shoot ARs and AKs on our own private range, can do mag dumps all day. Only difference now is the mag limit and can't have many of my fancy preban toys. Good hunting and fishing and it only takes me 2 more hours to get there than Calverton. I could go every week.

Really, the thing is it depends on your budget and where you are looking. A fancy part of NH will cost more than the boomdocks. Plus drilling a well can cost a ton, vs. a property that has one, etc. etc. So many varying factors.
Check out landandfarm for an idea of what properties can go for.
http://www.landandfarm.com/

You really have to visit at some point. NH is big. Neighborhoods vary just like Mastic and East Hampton.

I'm also assuming that you're traveling from LI. That 5 hour cap can turn to 9 hours very easily in NY/tristate summer or weekend traffic. I remember one weekend the NY thruway was bumper to bumper, so factor in realistic expectations.

So you really have to nail down a budget, a "shopping list" of things you want/can afford, and narrow down the area. Good luck!

·
Gun Guru
4,901 Posts
Pick some areas and spend plenty of weekends at Bed and Breakfasts. You meet a lot of people and learn a lot of local news.

Look at SWNH. Somne people call it the Monadnock region. Some call it the lower CT River Valley.

It's 2.5 hrs from the ferry in Bridgeport. 91 is the pipeline. My call is any town from Chesterfield to Jaffrey. Then you hit Temple Mt. I grew up in Fitzwilliam and we have a house in Keene. It's doable once a month.

·
Banned
17,097 Posts
Pick some areas and spend plenty of weekends at Bed and Breakfasts. You meet a lot of people and learn a lot of local news.
For the most part at Bed and Breakfasts you'll meet a bunch of out of town guys who didn't have what it takes to tell their wives that they weren't going to a Bed and Breakfast.

B&B is only slightly above/below a Bates motel. But you do get the added situation of being under the same roof as your killers.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.