Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you only had $1000 to spend on an AR, what would you get and why?

I have been thinking of getting this particular set-up for a few weeks. I looked around quite a bit, but there are so many AR build options out there that after a while they all starts to look the same, the only down-side is that I have given myself a budget of only $1000.

Any and all opinions, good, bad & ugly are welcomed.

If you know of any better options I'm all ears or in this case eyes.

Keep in mind that as per our illustrious leaders and their brilliant SAFE act, this will be a fixed-mag AR.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/daily-deals-new/psa-16-stainless-mid-length-1-7-freedom-rifle-kit-with-vortex-spitfire-1x-prism-scope.html

·
Sheepdog
1,514 Posts
mileson2, I would tell you to shop around and save for something you really want or maybe go to DSI and talk to those guys instead of buying a kit. Because face it- New accessories for the men's barbie doll are constantly coming out. You are going to see extras and replacement parts you love and will end up throwing half of this stuff out. Lets say you want a better buttstock in 6mos or a super light keymod forearm which you need a low-profile gas-block for. Next year you want a nickel-boron BCG and a drop-in trigger. Then in 2yrs you drop a nut on an EoTech w/ magnifier and that vortex ends up sitting in your closet. You will have spent 1800 total and then thrown away or ditched $500 worth of stuff. It might seem cheaper just to GET the AR, but it will cost you money in the long run. DSI has plenty of better rifles already set up in the 800-range, You can get one already built there and shop around for an optic. I got a great primary arms 2.5x ACSS for $220. If you're looking for a 1x red-dot, get the primary arms micro-dot for $80. Super-rugged and ive been impressed with it.

Anyway, give it some more thought!

Live Free, Build Rifles.

Reactions: jake11751

·
Gunecologist
2,251 Posts
Colt LE6920 shipped to a FFL (DSI) (about $900,00 from Bud's with free shipping) and let them add an accessory to fix the mag in place before you take delivery.
It won't have to be changed when you move to a free state or when AC goes to jail with the other 2 (gang of three).

·
Premium Member
4,860 Posts
If you want an off the shelf rifle, it's one thing, but if you are looking to build, don't give yourself a budget. Do a mock up of exactly what you want, and if you don't have the scratch for everything, buy what you can and start saving for the rest.

As to people building jamomatics, they should have an ak builder help them out. All mine run like champs.

·
Registered
81 Posts
If you want an off the shelf rifle, it's one thing, but if you are looking to build, don't give yourself a budget. Do a mock up of exactly what you want, and if you don't have the scratch for everything, buy what you can and start saving for the rest.

As to people building jamomatics, they should have an ak builder help them out. All mine run like champs.
+1

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Colt LE6920 shipped to a FFL (DSI) (about $900,00 from Bud's with free shipping) and let them add an accessory to fix the mag in place before you take delivery.
It won't have to be changed when you move to a free state or when AC goes to jail with the other 2 (gang of three).
From which re-seller?

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.