Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question for anyone who owns a Colt Gold Cup Trophy. What kind of mags does it like?

I was thinking the Wilson Combat 47D maybe? I guess this is considered a regular base plate? Don't want it to stick out too far.

Are the 8 rounders the way to go?

Is it bad I'm buying mags for a gun I don't own yet? Lol
Thanks.

·
Sifting Through the Ruins
8,061 Posts
My Cup came with a couple of OEM mags 35 years ago that are still running perfect.

You have to look hard to find bad 1911 mags.

Reactions: bberetta1

·
Registered
527 Posts
Both the Wilson and PowerMags run fine in my 1911.
You have to look hard to find bad 1911 mags.
I have a bunch of generic 7 round mags, and they work fine. What's your sport for the Gold Cup? Bullseye is generally "with 5 rounds, load". 8-round mags will fit flush like the 7-round. 10 round will stick WAY out the bottom. If you have lots of time to insert/check and eject the mag into your hand and put it away (bullseye) base plate makes no difference. If you're thinking IDPA/USPSA, or if the Colt has a mag well, you may want a bit of base plate. My only problem with some of the aftermarket mags is failure to lock open after the last round due to the construction of the follower.

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Both the Wilson and PowerMags run fine in my 1911.
I have a bunch of generic 7 round mags, and they work fine. What's your sport for the Gold Cup? Bullseye is generally "with 5 rounds, load". 8-round mags will fit flush like the 7-round. 10 round will stick WAY out the bottom. If you have lots of time to insert/check and eject the mag into your hand and put it away (bullseye) base plate makes no difference. If you're thinking IDPA/USPSA, or if the Colt has a mag well, you may want a bit of base plate. My only problem with some of the aftermarket mags is failure to lock open after the last round due to the construction of the follower.
Just wanted some extra mags. I heard the factory mags are just OK. This will be my first 1911. I'm not competing........yet.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Presuming you hold a PL, I will be at Nassau range tomorrow night; can bring my Springfield "Loaded" - see image at left ;-) Similar to the current Trophy Match. Or, if you're a Freeport member, I plan to chrono the 1911 there Thursday evening. PM me if interested.

·
Sharp Shooter!
3,914 Posts
Another +1 for the Wilson & Chip McCormacks. Nuff said

As previously stated, it's hard to find a "bad" 1911 mag, but if you get into a situation where your pistol doesn't run right, and you're feeding ammo through one of these two mags, odds are, the problem isn't the magazine. They're that reliable. Good luck choosing your first 1911, and buying mags ahead of the actual gun is just good planning.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.