Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best 308 or 30-06 hunting rifle for $500?  I am looking for craftsmanship and accuracy.  I do not want something too heavy as I will be walking with it.  Thanks in advance

·
Putin, the new Ceasar. Veni,Vidi, Vici!
22,005 Posts
Look at Savage or Savage Stevens line, Mossberg ATR or 4x4, and Marlin XL-7. Synthetic stocks will be lighter, weatherproof, but "flexier" than wood stocks. I think .30-06 is overkill, plus the recoil is kind of harsh. .308 will do the job on the deer and not punish your shoulder as much, plus .308 rifles are lighter because they are short action.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Savage Axis in either caliber, stainless steel, is ~$400. Blued/matte is only about $300. Synthetic stock, detachable magazine, free float barrel, squishy recoil pad, weighs about 5-6 pounds empty. Accurate, like any Savage. You can tell where costs were reduced, though. Machine work inside the receiver is rough. Bolt handle also comes up very high. But, for the price, it's a great rifle. Don't expect a Ferrari if you can only afford a Ford. Buy something great within its price range, not something that tries to go beyond its price range.

·
Zombtac Operator
12,183 Posts
Savage Stevens 200 in .308 is an excellent value at sub $400.

A lot of people consider the Axis entry level line a "throw away rifle". But opinions may vary.

But at a just over five you can score a Remmy 700 SPS or varmint etc. in .308 or 30-06.

·
Member of the secret Canadian Mafia
5,785 Posts
T/C Venture handles really nice and has a lifetime warranty.  They also guarantee sub-moa accuracy at 100 yards.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i saw a remington 700 ADL at dicks for $490. How does this compare to the Savage? They also had a browning A bolt for less than $500. When comparing these rifles, what should I be looking for? What do u look for in the bolt action? I can't play with any of the triggers as Dicks had the locks on them

·
Zombtac Operator
12,183 Posts
WildWolf said:
i saw a remington 700 ADL at dicks for $490. How does this compare to the Savage? They also had a browning A bolt for less than $500. When comparing these rifles, what should I be looking for? What do u look for in the bolt action? I can't play with any of the triggers as Dicks had the locks on them
The Remington 700 action is legendary.
Savage's premium models have the accu-trigger, which is excellent.

I personally would take a Remmy 700 over a Savage (or any other brand) all day, although I believe the Savage Stevens 200 is one of the best values out there.

As for the entry-levels models like the Remmy 770 or Savage Axis, I'd stay away from them and invest a bit more for a better rifle.

Your price point of $500 hit a gray area. Most of the premium models like Remmy 700s retail starting at 550+, while the bargain lines go for sub 400 or less. I'd go with a 700, but for a limited budget a Stevens 200. It's the scope, base, and rings you'll have to buy that will cost more than the rifle.

·
22,005 Posts
Wolfie, may I call you "Woolfie"? ;)

Don't worry about the trigger so much. I don't mean to sound critical, but could you tell the difference between a good trigger and a bad trigger? In many cases I couldn't just by playing with it in the store. Triggers are easily replaced with a quality aftermarket at any time.
These rifles will have triggers set up for hunting, which means unless they are a Savage Accutrigger or a Mossberg LBA, they will be heavy, and not particulalrly smooth.
Shop the action, the "accessories" can be sorted out after.
I'm a fan of the Accutrigger, and Savage makes a very good action. I also have a Savage Stevens that is going hunting with me, and sometime in the spring will get a new barrel and an adjustable trigger for shooting target. The barels are easy and relatively cheap to replace.

·
Banned
5,029 Posts
RIGHT HAND OR LEFT??

IF YOUR WALKING HAVE YOU THOUGHT ABOUT A LEVER GUN AS MOST BOLT GUNS DO NOT LEND THEMSELVES FOR FAST QUICK SHOOTING AT ALERTED DEER. AS MORE DEER HAVE FALLEN TO A 30-30 THEN ALL OTHERS

AS THIS IS GOING TO BE A DEER GUN ( I PRESUME) YOU CAN LOOK AT USED GUNS IN THE GUN STORES LOCALLY ALSO

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks for all the replies.  The remy 700 in dicks is a discontinued model and it does not have a free floating barrel.  I still have not decided yet.  My gut is telling me to go with a Savage with the accutrigger and the free floating barrel but something in the back of my mind says to go with a trusted brand and rifle like the 700.  I wish I could get both....

·
Banned
237 Posts
How far a shot you want NY hunting or like the 400 yd range in TX. If NY the Rem 7400 3006 carbine or the BLR in 308 are two excellent rifles for Big game in NY.........

Bolt action are for longer range hunting and for Swat Snipers. I've harvested many Deer with my 7400 even though I regret killing such beautiful creatures the 7400 will do the job if your diciplined to keep it cleaned...

Good luck.......................

·
22,005 Posts
Don't be silly. I sighted in my Savage Stevens .308 after replacing scope rings with low profile rings. Using Hornady polymer tipped commercial ammo I had three shots touching. After that the barrel is hot so the groups opened up. Plus its light with the polymer stock.
Skip the .30-06, its overkill, and your shoulder will never forgive you!

What Cobra said is correct, both guns are fine, but they are somewhat complicated, and are not DIY friendly for cleaning/maintenance. Bolt actions are simple, and easy to clean/maintain. If you ever want to give a Reminton 7400 chamber/barrel a good scrub, you'll be wishing for a bolt action.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.