Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry Guys. I am shooting a 6 mm BR. for a 300 yd sniper match, The Carlos Hathcock Match In Cherry Hill NJ. The bullet is a Berger 105 gr VLD. Berger says this strictly a target bullet. I was using Serra 107 HPBT, with 28.1 grs. of Varget. I could not find anything on line. Any body have anything

·
#1 Grade A Super Stud
1,284 Posts
Sorry Guys. I am shooting a 6 mm BR. for a 300 yd sniper match, The Carlos Hathcock Match In Cherry Hill NJ. The bullet is a Berger 105 gr VLD. Berger says this strictly a target bullet. I was using Serra 107 HPBT, with 28.1 grs. of Varget. I could not find anything on line. Any body have anything
I won that match with a 108 berger. In fact, 8 of the 10 top shooters were shooting 108 bergers.

That 105 VLD, and VLDs in general are kinda lame. I would go 107 SMK over the 105 Berger. I think the 107 SMK and 108 Berger are basically the same.

For that match, to be competitive, you should be able to hold .3 MOA at 300 vertically- that is about an inch- fr 20 shots. Wind is more forgiving.

·
#1 Grade A Super Stud
1,284 Posts
Oh yeah, my 6mmBR load is 28.5 grains of Varget with a 105-108.

Most guys will drop 28 grains with a 105-108 and see what happens. Normally it hammers. I am assuming you are using a no turn neck and lapua brass?

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I won that match with a 108 berger. In fact, 8 of the 10 top shooters were shooting 108 bergers.

That 105 VLD, and VLDs in general are kinda lame. I would go 107 SMK over the 105 Berger. I think the 107 SMK and 108 Berger are basically the same.

For that match, to be competitive, you should be able to hold .3 MOA at 300 vertically- that is about an inch- fr 20 shots. Wind is more forgiving.
I have some 107 SMK ready . I will try them maybe tomorrow I am using Lapua brass, but I have a tight neck and had to neck turn them. I will try to make calverton tomorrow. The match is on Oct 25. Hope to see you there

·
Premium Member
2,542 Posts
If this is the one at Cherry Ridge, I may be shooting that match also. The amount of science they put into loading and testing the ammo is amazing. A friend of mine is trying to get me as addicted as he is to precision rifles so he is lending me one of his older rifles and and some ammo for the match.
Your place is safe, I never shot a precision or sniper match before but it sounds interesting.
Maybe I'll see you there. I'll be the one with the totally confused look on my face.

·
Premium Member
11,465 Posts
How would a 336 lapua mag hold up in that match.
Oh dam now I need optics.
There is no such thing as a free puppy (or free gun
)

·
#1 Grade A Super Stud
1,284 Posts
How would a 336 lapua mag hold up in that match.
Oh dam now I need optics.
There is no such thing as a free puppy (or free gun
)
I doubt it would be competitive. I shoot better than most people and have a hard time holding a 20 round strong of fire with a cartridge that heavy. The up side would be the bigger hole diameter. I've considered a 300 win mag to keep it real but it would be obnoxious to everyone else.

I'd like to shoot it with my m40a5 however I haven't done enough load development to make it worth while.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.