Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just called Bensons Gun Shop to see what they get for a private handgun transfer, they told me $10, even repeated it twice.
Can this be or did I get one of those "experts" on the line.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
I was there a few months ago with a couple of members from here, we did quite a few transfers, all were 10 bucks.
I know a lot don't like them, and honestly wasn't my choice to go there but I have to say they did all of us real quick with no problems.

·
Registered
527 Posts
That's nice to know. You don't have to love them at that price. Wasn't $10 Cuomo's original lie about the cost for a NICS check to do a private transfer?? I was generally willing to pay $10 to check the background before a long gun sale to a stranger. The whole concept of a needing a NICS check on someone who holds a current Pistol License and was just handed a purchase voucher by a P.O. from the PLB boggles my mind. I think Benson's is the closest shop to my home. Went there after work one day at about 45 min before closing; all the firearms were out of the cases and no one really seemed interested in talking with me. I do understand that they want to be able to leave as soon after closing as possible, but is a "gun" shop with no "guns" on display really "open for business"? Perhaps they should post two sets of hours, one for firearms and another for accessories (though the guy I spoke to was counting out the register, so if they can't make a sale, are they really 'open'?) I was told, essentially, "come earlier or come on the weekend" with what seemed to me like an implied "or don't come at all, we don't care". So they lost a shot at 3 sales (.22 bolt action rifle, .40S&W full size pistol, .308 bolt action rifle).

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Didn't the SAFE act limit the price of private transfers to $10. I recall something like that.
The person I spoke to at Bensons mentioned this, just found it hard to believe everyone else I called was getting $50 for handgun transfer and Bensons only wanted $10.

·
Lousy Shot
16,177 Posts
Thats what I was told/heard. But somehow, even the most reputable gunshops doubled the price. I even called one of my favorite locals, and they told me 75$...
For a private transfer?!! I've heard $50 or more for an out-of-state transfer but they're not making a sale and they'd rather sell you a gun than just transfer a gun. I can understand that.

After a quick search, I can't find it in the law and I don't know if it applies to pistols anyway. Pistols always needed to be transferred by a FFL. Only long gun transfers are new.

·
Registered
527 Posts
PJ Army Navy does transfers/receives firearms from out of state for $25+tax, so $10 is not so strange. Some places charge $10 to receive an out of state ammo shipment, some charge a sliding scale up to $25; now Campsite charges $0.00 (plus tax LOL) to receive ammo. There is competition, and the market will dictate what people can charge. IMHO, with their wide selection Campsite sells at least something to most people who stop in to pick up their ammo. C'mon, when's the last time you walked through a decent gun shop and didn't find something you needed/wanted? I call it good marketing/customer relations. Kudos to Campsite. Perhaps as someone suggested above, Benson's is trying to gain back share; plus, a person buys a new gun in a private sale... "do you need ammo with that? A holster? A sling? A scope....." If it was me, I'd want that transfer to take place in MY store.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Didn't the SAFE act limit the price of private transfers to $10. I recall something like that.
No one charges more than the unenforceable 'statutory maximum' for $10 for transfers; however, there ARE additional related and unregulated "administrative fees, etc." that some dealers elect to charge, and there is NO provision in the Un-Safe act to prohibit/prevent this, nor any enforcement provision for the $10 so-called maximum. You know Conrad Cuomo and Cronies are absolutely heartbroken that it costs you $50~$70 to sell/transfer your firearm, so it's now worth $50~$75 less. It's insidious - they made it so to sell a firearm privately you are forced to bring it to your competitor - a gun store that is in the business to sell guns and who could find it unreasonable if they would rather sell one of their inventory to your buyer than assist you to make that sale? I really can't blame them; that's the business they're in - to sell guns to folks. It's like the minimum wage in reverse: the state attempts to tell dealers the maximum they can charge (inclusive of labor and overhead) for the time it takes them to handle all the paperwork for a transfer, no matter how complex it may become, irrespective of what they have to pay their staff while they are handling a transfer and not doing their regular job of selling the store's merchandise. In a way, I can't blame them. Double insidious: either the state takes money out of OUR pockets, or out of the DEALER's pocket, or both. It hurts all parties who desire to buy or sell firearms - a perfect solution for Cuomo and Friends.

·
INFIDEL
7,237 Posts
The only thing bad about Campsite is that its a pain to get to for me....But is my #1 gun store since Mark sold Suffolk shooting supply....I havnt been there enough times to know the people, but I always feel like a valued customer...

·
Registered
124 Posts
That's nice to know. You don't have to love them at that price. Wasn't $10 Cuomo's original lie about the cost for a NICS check to do a private transfer?? I was generally willing to pay $10 to check the background before a long gun sale to a stranger. The whole concept of a needing a NICS check on someone who holds a current Pistol License and was just handed a purchase voucher by a P.O. from the PLB boggles my mind. I think Benson's is the closest shop to my home. Went there after work one day at about 45 min before closing; all the firearms were out of the cases and no one really seemed interested in talking with me. I do understand that they want to be able to leave as soon after closing as possible, but is a "gun" shop with no "guns" on display really "open for business"? Perhaps they should post two sets of hours, one for firearms and another for accessories (though the guy I spoke to was counting out the register, so if they can't make a sale, are they really 'open'?) I was told, essentially, "come earlier or come on the weekend" with what seemed to me like an implied "or don't come at all, we don't care". So they lost a shot at 3 sales (.22 bolt action rifle, .40S&W full size pistol, .308 bolt action rifle).
I have gotten that attitude from them also, and then other times they have been very friendly and helpful. I was looking at pistols right after I handed in my application and when I told the gent behind the counter I didnt have my license yet but was trying to educate myself, he basically just turned and walked away. Another time I was doing the same thing, just browsing, and a different salesman answered a bunch of questions and was very encouraging and helpful... Just depends on the person you get.

·
Zombtac Operator
12,108 Posts
As a side note, and of course I have to get into a Bensons thread
is that they did not necessarily get a rep for bad service, rather they are notorious for questionable advice and legal interpretations (which can be much worse if you are on the losing end of that). Their policies based on this are also inconsistent. Not going to list all the interesting bits here, but there are plenty of threads in the reviews detailing experiences.

Regarding transfers, this was always an area (even pre-SAFE) where the prices varied store by store--since many were grumpy that customers were buying online for less than the locally marked-up prices. This is why it was great to have "dedicated" FFLs like Volko and more recently Jerry's with the most affordable flat rates. There was much confusion with the SAFE act private $10 transfer and some stores tacked on administrative fees, while others refused to offer the service and yet others remained fair and affordable.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.