Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
The Sysop
36,800 Posts
I went there and saw a P-145 for $399, seems fair..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Architect said:
I went there and saw a P-145 for $399, seems fair..
Yea well i know about 20 people they jerked , one poor kid paid 389 for a 20 gauge mossberg 500 they said it was new but it was used after i stripped it down to look. 40.00 for a ffl transfer just had many bad experiences with bensowitz gun shop (Real name for Bensons) since i was like 10 going there for pellets.

·
Registered
451 Posts
yea ive been buying a lot of 7.62x54r from suffolk shooting supply ($7) i went to bensons and for the exact same ammo they wanted (13) so i asked the guy if it was something special like silver or yellow tipped the guy told me that all those special 7.62x54r are illegal within the united states and you cannot get it. I asked him if he had checked the internet lately cause there is tons of the stuff even API and he walked away lol

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Not to beat a dead horse....I was in there several years ago and the guys behind the counter were telling all their customers that no matter where your gun was, at home, driving upstate, etc. that it HAD to have a lock on it! Everyone was freaking and they were selling locks like crazy. I told them they were misinterpretting the law...they said "we're the ones that have an ffl, your going to tell us?"  idiots

·
Banned
2,268 Posts
I bought a good portion of my guns from Benson. If you do your homework and you know what you want you can even walk away with a good deal. Don't walk in there with your pockets full of money and or platinum credit cards and fall in love with a gun. They will take you to town if you do. If you happen to have made this mistake, walk away, no matter how critical it is that you buy it now, because it may go any minute or how unique this piece is.... Walk AWAY! Do your homework and then go back and ask for Mark or Dave. They are the only guys that will try to work a deal with you.

These are the best places I have been

1. Campsite
2. Suffolk Shooting Supply

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
bobtorre said:
I bought a good portion of my guns from Benson. If you do your homework and you know what you want you can even walk away with a good deal. Don't walk in there with your pockets full of money and or platinum credit cards and fall in love with a gun. They will take you to town if you do. If you happen to have made this mistake, walk away, no matter how critical it is that you buy it now, because it may go any minute or how unique this piece is.... Walk AWAY! Do your homework and then go back and ask for Mark or Dave. They are the only guys that will try to work a deal with you.
I agree. I have bought a few used handguns from Benson's and got very good deals. You just have to be a smart shopper.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
If you deal with Dave or Steve, you will have a good experince. Know your prices when you go there.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I stop in there occasionally on the way to and from the range.
Every sticker price I saw on a new gun, made me walk away. And they wouldn't talk.
I guess they are sitting on their high horse due to the Obama Effect.
Haven't seen any deals lately on a used gun there either, but could just be signs of the time.
Ammo is about 30 - 50% over priced.
But I've paid it, when I "needed" some at the last minute.
My impression with Bensons....
It's a fairly clean and well stocked store, but your going to pay a bit more.

They own the Executive shooting range on 112.
There was a K22 6", clean but about 90%, and the were too high for it, and wouldn't talk price. Last I saw it came down a bit.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Here's my recent experience at Benson's. I went to Benson's on a Thursday (I think) and bought a used Sig P220. KE dated so it's a West German gun from 94. It looked brand spanking new. Got home and the trigger wouldn't reset. Drove all the way back and told them about the trigger. Joe took the gun and told me Dave, who is the gun smith would be back on Monday. I called Monday & spoke to Dave. He informs me that hunting license just came out and he hasn't had a chance to go over the gun. By Wednesday I got a call from Dave and told me my guns was good to go. It had a broken hammer spring. He got the replacement spring from Sig and got the gun back to me within two days.

It's entirely my their fault that I didn't dry fire the gun when I was there. I didn't even think to check. Plus I'm confident that they didn't know the gun had a bad spring. Overall a pretty good experience.

·
Registered
1 Posts
They've never been rude to me. I've not purchased a firearm from them yet, but I have purchased accessories and ammo. They carry a huge selection which makes it nice for spur of the moment shopping. As far as pricier goes take in to account how large the store is, how many employees they have. This leads to an increase in overhead i'm sure, so the couple extra bucks you pay is at least justified.

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
Good Experience with them with my purchase. NIB Remington 870 Tactical.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I had one experience with them. Back before SAFE they wouldn't transfer a preban receiver to me. I told them it didn't matter when it was made it was just a receiver so what was the big deal? The issue they said was that the accompanying paperwork said it was a preban receiver. It was a PWA and had a letter from LMT (they bought out pwa) stating the date of manufacture. Then they started giving me all kinds of BS that they would be breaking the law to do the transfer. I tried my hardest to be pleasent but Shrek was standing there spouting all sorts of misinformation so I told them to ship it to another FFL and they wouldn't do that either. They shipped it back to the owner and charged me $50. I haven't steped back in and never will. I did have another unpleasant experience with Shrek at the Medford range. Haven't been back there either...

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
Holy zombie thread!!! It's from 2009!
Eh, so whats seven years between friends, lol ?

I will add this, they literally destroyed a Crosman air gun I brought in for repair years ago. At the time, and hopefully are no longer, they were the authorized Crosman repair joint. (Maybe they just shipped it out, who knows ?)

·
Retired
1,901 Posts
Bensons is great for p2p handgun transfers, $10 and 10-15 minutes from PLB. Nick is a good guy and always more than willing to help. I bought a python from them at a great price and shoot it every time I got to the range. I did drop the ball back at the end of March by not buying the very nice 4" mkIII trooper they had there. Still regretting it.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.